What's the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to you about music?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Daemoniac, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

[​IMG]

2. TruthDose

TruthDose SRS BIDNIZZ

ZOMGZZ IZ TAHT SCREAMO>!?!?!?!!?!11!?!

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

3. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

Oh that reminds me of one, I can't remember if its in the thread already or not.

GUY: (referring to me showing them Periphery) Oh you like that screamo stuff? You should listen to (insert shitty deathcore band I forget the name of).
    ME: :squint::wallbash:

I fucking hate the ignorance of people when it comes to metal, if it's anything heavier than Iron Maiden or whatever it's either Screamo or Death Metullz. :noway:

4. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Yeah the use of the word Screamo applied to Metal literally makes no sense.

5. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

Oh my, so many stories.

One time I was in school passing by a few friends, who were sitting with this other guy. I had an earphone in as usual and was talking to one of my buddies about a song I was listening to, which happened to be Guthrie Govan. The kid asked me "Oh, I thought you listened to Screamo?".. :noplease:. I told him that I actually listened to many different genres, all very tasteful and that Screamo was a disgusting generalization to metal that has been tagged to the whole from some shitty popular "core" bands. He then shut up ahah.

This ones horrible, I was recommended an apparently very talented 6 string bassist for my band by another guy I know. When I finally got to talk to him over msn, I started to ask him what he has heard of the things I listen to.
    "Animals as Leaders?" "No"
    "Periphery/Bulb?" "No"
    "Meshuggah?" "No"
    "Tesseract?" "No"
    "Textures? Guthrie Govan? Frost? Symphony X? Opeth? SikTh? Porcupine Tree? Cynic? Cloudkicker? Chimp Spanner? Fellsilent? (I listed all my influences)" "No"
    The only band he had actually heard was Tool... and a little bit of Opeth.
    I was not surprised but I thought he'd know at least know a few of them, seeing as he was made out to be such a telented bassist...
    But then he stated this:
    "I don't listen to that shit, I listen to real metal.
    Slayer, Behemoth, Megadeth (only band here I like), Bodom.
    Metal that actually has soul"
    :spock::nuts::squint::ugh::noplease:
    My instant reply was "..... Behemoth? Slayer!? Soul?"

I then realized that this was the typical closed minded thrash kid who never bothered to venture past the typical well-known undeserving bands.

I say undeserving because like stated many times before, the people with much more apparent talent are shot aside to make way for shit to be spoon-fed to the mindless people..

Fuck, that conversation pissed me off to a whole new degree. :wallbash:

6. Evil7

Evil7 LowCrushingMetal

music is openion... but i see where you are coming from.... Most of the bands you listed are "musician music"..... being a guitar player you evolved your taste and searched for more technical music past what is mainstream.... most people sadly only listen to what is mass marketed...... I love Behemoth Meshugga Bulb slayer, keith merrow, sikth....:shred: i dig alot of mainstream and more searched for music... He had no right to belittle your taste as if his music is better.....

7. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

He was fine right up until he said "Metal that actually has soul"
    It's fine for someone to only like mainstream music, maybe they like it, maybe they don't need the searched music, but once they think it's superior because of an opinion (A very false one, yes opinions can be false if they don't make sense. EI: Guitars have 28 strings, no more no less.) it becomes a problem, ignorant comments like that make me try to talk as little about music to people like that as possible, sadly they seem to be *very* frequent. :noplease:

8. Evil7

Evil7 LowCrushingMetal

Its no wonder pop/rap/r&b are so succesfull... its rare you hear somone into rap dislike r&b... ... people into metal can be snobs about the type of metal they are into....

9. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

I'd sooner bone her than Stravinsky.

Just sayin'...

10. Variant

Variant Banned

Well, your odds of "boning" either of them are about equal, despite the fact that he's dead and probably completely rendered to the earth, which leaves only one question: Which one is going into your earholes? :squint: I'll take Stravinsky, thank you.

Sheesh... I really don't get the, "my cock would look good with this if it was something more than a CD cover photo, therefore I'll listen to it" logic. :rolleyes:

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  11. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

just remembered, me and another guy went to this tiny local shop to buy new strings. we said we needed some really thick strings, a .56 set or higher. guy gave us a .52 and said "you don´t need thicker strings than this." the guy hadn´t ever heard of detuning an instrument. the arrogance in hearing a customer ask for one thing, and then bluntly tell them no, and give them something else, because your opinion says otherwise, is just dumb.

12. Variant

Variant Banned

That's because the average rap and hip hop fan of today is the least common denominator that listens to whatever the media pumps out to them... pretty much the equivalent of the tasteless '80s metal fan of that respective era. It didn't matter either, whatever got the most rotation was the "best". Trust me bro, true hip hop fans (myself included) are picky as fuck and certainly do have standards. :agreed:

Dude, Marco says he gets that all the time when he asks for a single .085 to go with a set of six guitar strings. Half the people selling them haven't even heard of a seven. The place I go, freaks out every time I get a single .020 for my 3rd on my baritone. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I was gonna do tattoos with the string. I guess they don't realize that the .120 is ALSO going on a guitar, not a bass. :lol:

13. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

I have yet to hear Stravinsky, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer his music nonetheless.

I'm also a 100% with you, in terms of unwarranted focus on the person's looks, but still.. Taylor :wub:

14. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

"electric wizard is the heaviest band to ever exist" (its not so much the comment as what gets tagged on with it without saying)

I started school again and have 1 kid I knew from highschool in my class. Mind you I didn't talk to him much to begin with but him and this other kid that wasn't particularly fond of me are huge old school thrash heads with the retarded thrash mentality. I stopped hanging around them and started talking to all these random kids who hang around the same area after the 2nd class :lol:

I'm desperately trying to understand the thrash attitude with people who are trying to make a band. These kids go *insert oldschool band* is the shit and all new music is shit! and then try to make a band in the same vein as the oldschool bands. Tell me how they expect that to work when all of their potential following automatically writes off new upcoming music as shit?

I don't get it. but they are a wealth of ignorant statements.

15. polydeathsphere

polydeathsphere SS.org Regular

for some reason people now associate bands with a vocalist who screams as "Screamo". Maybe I'm the ridiculous one who associates the word "screamo" with bands like Taproot.

For me, this is unacceptable. The tech-death band I play in is not screamo, try again.

16. 6o66er

6o66er Awful Jack-ass

"Chris Adler SUCKS..." In a conversation about drummers... and also this:

"Meshuggah's guitarists are so BORING and LAME...their music is just....unintelligent."

These were both stated by the same idiot....who is also a big DISTURBED fan...I don't think anymore needs to be said there.

17. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

^
    :lol:

I know what you mean. My still calls hardcore "grunge", which is particularly hilarious considering him and I sit in the car and enjoy Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains together. :rofl:

I've explained that to him several times, but I don't think he's retained that point. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

18. Samer

Samer Dybbuk

Guitar teacher that i had when i was 13-14ish

Guitar teacher: what music do you like
    Me: Death Metal / Power Metal
    Teacher: Death Metal isnt music, its all chromatic
    Me: WTF
    Teacher: What power metal do you like
    Me: Iced Earth
    Teacher: Iced Earth opened for us once, they suck live
    Me: Ok :eek:

Any way he was a great player, but had a huge fucking ego, forgot who he was but he was from some traditional metal band.

Example 2

Some Christian Fundamentalist guitar player guy at a guitar center
    Him: Hey you play guitar well, what bands do you like
    Me: Thanks nice to meet you, do you play guitar
    Him: Yea let me show you (picks up a guitar, starts play death metalish riff)
    Me: Sounds cool, do you listen to metal
    Him: No its all satanic and noisy, i listen to christian screamo (what ever its called)
    Me: Nice to meet you, (left because it was to weird after this)

19. fretninjadave

fretninjadave Seven String Samurai

I was at a party once and this ignorant fuck tells me the once he found out Rob Halford was gay he lost all respsect for judas preist. Then I told him "but They Wrote Painkiller and lazer eye" .Then I gave him a fucked up look. Then all scared he told me youre right and shut the fuck up real quick.

^Gayest reason to hate a band.Sorry

I'm not gay and I dont care if any of you are or not.
    Music is music.

20. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I think its ignorant not to call electric wizard heavy as shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.