What's the most bone crushing riff?

vibrantgermancities

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm absolutely in the 'slower = heavier' camp.

However...

This thread needs more Scott Hull:

Also, I'm by no means a bit Architects fan, but Early Grave is always a good one for those moments when you need to headbang your face off.

Which reminds me, Sylosis must have some candidates, but I'll be damned if I can remember any of them so I'm just going to chuck Paradox in because it just does not let up.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to listen to some crushing doom and wonder why I didn't list any of it here.

Last edited:

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been slowly introducing my kids to bangers, and I completely forgot about this one but the riff at 0:48 is a good start:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
…of the one riff that affect the strongest urge to start destroying things…

Nothing, NOTHING, triggers that urge for me more than the opening/main riff of this song:

Some others:

1:34

Whole song, but 2:22 especially:

Whole song again, but 1:51 specifically:

And the entirety of this:

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thing That Should Not Be

Basically anything by T Warrior in Monotheist and with Tryptykon. I like dark, heavy, music, but he really goes down into the deepest levels of Hell on Monotheist! I can't listen to music that morbid too often......

Pantera - I'll Cast Shadow. The overall production and songs didn't have the same impact as the old days, but this particular song is pure sledgehammer....

CTID

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also, I'm by no means a bit Architects fan, but Early Grave is always a good one for those moments when you need to headbang your face off.

fwiw i'd like to put it out there that Ruin and Hollow Crown are 2 among the best "actual" metalcore albums - ie a band actually combining elements of hardcore and metal, not metal with a pop twist - and that they've been steadily going downhill since then.

also, my contribution to this thread is 3:11 onward here:

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Correction to one of mine, I meant Pantera - It Makes Them Disappear. Haven't heard that album in a while and got it mixed up. That is downtuned for Pantera for sure, and I don't think more heaviness is really gained going any lower than that. It CRUSHES!

:hbang:

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty much anything from Meshuggah's catalog or any breakdown in a song by a band Josh Travis was in. I'd say New Millennium Cyanide Christ probably has one of the gnarliest breakdowns I've ever experienced. Just puts a pit in your stomach and goes even heavier from there.

Although some of my personal favorite "heavy songs" are by bands that don't do the "heavy" thing all the time. I think Hell Below By Periphery is also a really good example of something gut-wrenchingly heavy and nasty, especially compared to their more technical catalog. Deftones and Loathe are also great because of how they balance heavy with other sounds. Just my :2c:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Correction to one of mine, I meant Pantera - It Makes Them Disappear. Haven't heard that album in a while and got it mixed up. That is downtuned for Pantera for sure, and I don't think more heaviness is really gained going any lower than that. It CRUSHES!

:hbang:

I think that's definitely one of their heaviest. The weird clean too many effects section is kinda weak but the rest of the song makes up for it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
As soon as this song starts I'm instantly triggered. The main riff feels like someone punching you in the face.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Disasterpiece

If that song doesn’t get you pumped up, you should check in case you are dead

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Opeth - Deliverance. the main riff after the, da-da -da , intro part

not sure if its the most bone crushing, but every time I hear it I think its a fucking amazing riff

mikelikesmetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the intro riff to Spoils of War by Severed Savior makes me want to punch myself in the fucking balls \m/

mikelikesmetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
also, cytotoxin never fails to crush bones

Attachments

• 3D337874-1BBC-4832-B43F-B9C5EBD1E8BD.jpeg
    3D337874-1BBC-4832-B43F-B9C5EBD1E8BD.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 0