What's the grossest guitar tone you've heard?

Tizzer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I want to hear what all of you think are the nastiest, dirtiest, heaviest, gnarliest sounds and tones to come out of a guitar or bass. In a good way of course. The kind of sound that makes you crinkle your face up and go, "hell yeah."

I recently found out about the band Trap Them, and the wall of distortion that hits at about 25 seconds is so huge and nasty sounding, I love it.

This was produced by Kurt Ballou, who IMO is one of the best at capturing the full energy of heavy guitar and bass sounds. Now what have you guys got for me?

MoshJosh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure if this really fits but always loved how this sounds

always thought this was gross in the best way

EDIT: Haven't seen Gaza on the list. . .

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score

Not sure I'd call this the heaviest or gnarliest, but this might be the only album that I've thought actually sounded gross.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
Hm. for that stuff I think of the juicy early-mid 90's Swedish DM distortion that was used by bands like these lovely entertainers:

Tizzer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These are all great. Those 90s death metal tones are awesomely nasty, and of course doomy/sludgy stuff is always full of stuff right out of the swamp.

Here's one that's not the grossest thing ever, but it sure is unexpected. Fuzz distortion outta nowhere.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
^definitely Dopethrone comes to mind when talking about the ugliest, most wretched guitar tones ever.

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
MetallicA's guitar sound at Sonisphere............... Damn.

Also KSE Live allways have a delicious guitar tone that I would describe as Crisp and Crushing. haha

Nats

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The bass tone on this album blows me away. Gnarly and snarly. It's more apparent on other tracks but this is the only one from this album I can find on youtube.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
The "Left Hand Path" album by Entombed is bone-crushing and flat out nasty. I love it.

Also, a lot of crust bands use some pretty gross, utterly satisfying tones. Skitsystem, for example.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I'd go with Electric Wizards dopsmoker as well. If you like that kind of stuff check out Black Sheep Wall and the other band that guys in Admiral Angry.

Admiral Angry: You have to listen to their album buster if you like this tone (dat tone at 0:25). This band has crazy high pitchy screaming fyi prepare your ears. I like it personally since it adds to the heaviness of it, but its definitely not for everyone. The guitar is supposedly a 5 string bass converted into a 7 string guitar tuned to Drop E haha this is pre djent mind you)

Black sheep wall

Here's what they sound like really pissed