Whats The Best Strings?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by GuitarSetup, Nov 22, 2019.

1. GuitarSetup

GuitarSetup SS.org Regular

Attached Files:

2. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

My answer points to D'Addario NYXL. Lots of praise for them here and the strings, especially the plain ones, have much stronger break resistance than the regular XL strings. The new XT strings are supposedly similar and they have (very thin) coating, but they're not available here yet AFAIK.

Jacksonluvr636 and GuitarSetup like this.
  3. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

I've tried a lot of brands, so far I've been happiest with the D'addario NYXL. Haven't given the XT ones a spin yet, but if I can find them locally I'll give them a try

GuitarSetup likes this.
  4. GuitarSetup

GuitarSetup SS.org Regular

So ill be requesting my fellow relative for me to buy the NYXL there in US

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I use GHS Boomers. Very rare to break a string. I don't use whammy bar though but they do take a beating. They're stainless steel with steel cores so different than many other strings in that regard.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  6. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

ghs boomers bast evar

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

D'addario EXL (regular D'addarios) are great, last pretty long, and are quite durable and are affordable--not overpriced.

If you want slightly better longevity, and more durability/strength, I recommend (as others have) the D'addario NYXL's. Of course, they are significantly more expensive, being about twice the price of their regular EXL strings.

8. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I use the NYXL’s exclusively. Used to hang with elixirs but they don’t (or didn’t) have all the gauges I wanted.

9. Passtheapathy

Passtheapathy SS.org Regular

I would never use another string set beside NYXLs. I bought a lifetime supply of the 10-52s recently at a pretty great discount.

10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I started using NYXL exclusively since they first became available and I've literally never broken a single one. They also last a month or two easily.

11. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Just curious , what is a.lifetime supply? Like a pallet?

Seth Brundle, Merrekof, Gmork and 2 others like this.
  12. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

It's all subjective to me... I'd rather change strings more often, but that's just me.

In terms of durability, I like Elixir's Nanowebs, they are a classic to me if I want to keep the same strings for a while (like...a few months?). Overall in terms of sound and performance, I've been a DR Tite Fit guy for almost 10 years. Dunlop's are a close second and ironically the guy who developed Dunlop's lineup used to work at DR Strings.

efiltsohg and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  13. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

As far as string breakage goes, I've noticed most of it comes from either extreme bending or poor guitar setup (sharp saddles for example) more so than string manufacturing, but that's considering you buy any respectable brand of guitar strings to begin with.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  14. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Most of my string breaks were on ghs boomers but on my Les Paul which most certainly had a burr. I used Ernie ball slinky's for over ten years and only broke maybe one string. Been using daddario 7 (10-59) sets for a couple years now and not broken a string.

I also don't have super acidic and corrosive fingers

Heard good things about NYXL but I've never felt a need personally. If someone can sway me as to why I'd want to try them I'd be open

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I'm fine with an Ernie Ball Regular Slinky set. Just wipe after each use.

16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Not everyone will agree but Imho elixir are so far ahead in quality in every way. I have strictly only used elixir since the day i first tried them about 4 years ago.
    My alien like hands rust normal strings within a week or 2 and i always remember breaking strings somewhat often and remember always having to retune.
    I swear when i put a new set of elixirs on and stretch em and get them tuned up thats it, they just stay in tune no matter what after that, with every other string it was like pulling teeth tuning up then checking and REtuning over and over.
    Plus they feel so buttery smooth which i suppose is one of it downfalls, any time i play some other guitar it feels like barbed wire lol. Some people complain about the coating coming off but if you just change your strings regularly its fine besides a bit right where you pick.
    I refuse to use anything else and the rare times where i dont have a choice its always noticeably worse.

17. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Heard a lot of good things about Elixir. Personally I really like NYXL but I stick to regular D'Addario XL Nickel Wound because of cost. I have a lot of guitars and the majority of them are ERGs so I need to save money where I can.

18. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Ernie Ball for general use and daily shredding - Pink EBMM Super Slinky
    Elixir (flatwound) particularly ARE better strings, but they cost it too

19. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

C7, i use GHS boomers too sometimes
    Tell me more about the core
    Its one thing I didnt understand they meant
    Like they FEEL substantial
    Whats the difference inside that I’m not seeing?

20. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

From what I recall there's a few different types of Boomers. The main difference is most of them are stainless steel windings with steel cores. most strings are nickel or steel or a combination. Stainless is less corrosive and more durable, like stainless steel frets, but they are harsher on normal frets, which I have.
    The cores come in thin and thick flavor's. I got the thick type cores. Both types are round instead of hexagonal like some other brands. Thick equals more mass and sustain and fatter tone, thin equals faster reponse. The cores are still steel from what I remember and only the wind is stainless. The plain strings come in all flavors too, including cryo treated, which I use too.
    my guages are:
    dy70,dy56,dy44,dy30,bnr-wound 24,cr13,cr11

The dy is the stainless steel Boomers, the bnr is a brushed nickel wound 3rd string which is smoother sounding. No twangy 3rd string due to wound and really smooth with burnished nickel as oppoosed to brighter stainless steel. Teh Cr are cryogenic for the high strings which a lot of people call hype, but they aren't they are less harsh and ice picky that plain steel and much rounder sounding. The different materials and treatments really do have an effect. especially if you buy a bunch and sit there and mess around with them and try them back and forth on the same guitar. You get to know the differences. I never tried theh thin core's because the thick cores interested me first and I liked them. I get my sets through theh ghs custom shop. I think the minimum order is 6 or 12 sets (or of any given string) at a time. They are very consistant. Very few dud's over the several hundreds of strings I've used and I rarely break strings. I haven't broken a string in years.