✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The conversion files
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33799

Conversion walkthrough

CNC Shield Case
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3125495

I made the mistake of using a smaller case first and there's way too many wires to fit in a compact box. You endanger unplugging or cross wiring shit if your box is too small. This is a big one but it's 'just right' after all your wires are there. You don't need all those buttons and shit, there's a vanilla version with no button holes.

You can run the power to a tip/sleeve 12v style plug for quick connect assembly but I opted to just run the wires out with the rest of them, and two allen screws to attach them to the PS when you take it out to use. I had some weird bottlenecking my amperage through the plugs I tested that were really more troubel than they were worth.

Case has mounting space for a PC fan. Ironically, I think it's prolly more necessary in a 3D print type arrangement than with the mill, despite the fact you're cutting metal. The 3D printer runs for several hours at a time, the mill usually runs a lot less, you're also not working the motors super hard because the mill is doing all the work, if the motors are "overworked" then you're breaking bits anyway. So I think cooling fan is somewhat optional.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Final thoughts on the Proxxon as a build platform:

It has some limitations. The max Y dimensions are a VERY generous 1.5" but keep in mind that also needs to be enough for the diameter of the bit to pass around the outside, plus the extra 1mm or so for the clearance on the limit switch. So your models really max at 1.35" unless you're tiling. There are options to expand the Y; before I did the CNC conversion, I homebrewed a 2" Y conversion so you can arguably mash the two of them up.

The motor is also not very strong, so all the times I broke bits were because I programmed my paths too fast/deep and the motor bogged down and seized and the NEMA's are actually strong enough to just snap the bit in half if its not cutting.

There are conversion videos online where people use quadcopter or RC brushless motors but it starts to fuck with the spindle power supply so now you need an external PS and controller that bulks up the project a lot. I also question how much those motors can handle running for hours at a time since quads and RC typically max at about 20min runtime.

Some of those conversions also up the max bit sized to 1/4" but again, with the limited Y, now you have to account for the larger diameter. The 1/8" honestly moves really quick anyway TBH.

So I think someone using the Proxxon is better off sticking to the stock spindle and just learning to work to it's abilities. I went from breaking three bits on one project to now cutting a dozen without breaking another bit.

EDIT: OH! Other thing, only thing I'd change is I'd consider dual shaft NEMA 17s. Would take some modifying but if you went with those, you can attach the wheel adjustments to the second shaft, so you can still use the mill manually. I've seen a few people do similar with the bigger Grizzle/HF conversions and it's nice to still be able to zip some cuts by hand if you need to.

Last edited:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doing more hardware stuff.

I've been prototyping a million overcomplicated headless hardware setups, then spent a few days playing my Kleinberger and decided the original design is good enough, why not build on that.

Milled this piece put of 6061. Tweaks from the original design is that it's top mounted (a la Hipshot) and I've integrated the string lockdown screws (on my Kleinberger I had to mount a separate piece for that).

I'm happy with the results. I re-modeled it with a smidge more meat on the bass side but otherwise, I think I'm cool with running a few of these off for some builds.

IMG_20210531_120017_124_resize_81.jpg

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also in the middle of a quick and dirty repair on an '89 Squier Bullet Strat.

Had post lean which was quickly revealed to be from the entire block peeling free from the rest of the body. I've actually dealt with this before, I decided to route an oversized recess and fill it to make sure it cleared any of the compromised wood and also had enough points of contact for a strong, clean glue up.

Screenshot_20210531-121816_resize_90.jpg Screenshot_20210531-122158_resize_63.jpg Screenshot_20210531-122230_resize_39.jpg Screenshot_20210531-122254_resize_7.jpg
Screenshot_20210531-122325.png
Screenshot_20210531-122345.png Screenshot_20210531-122358.png

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
Man, it has been way too long since I've been active on here. Blame it on the TX winter storm and the mess it made of my house.

Anyways, I ordered 3 sheets of paisley waterslide paper from Rothko and Frost a while back. It was just delivered. Got blue, pink, and purple. Planning on using some of it on a 6 string build I'm about to start shooting. I'd like to do paisley under a color with a relic. Send me some votes for what color paper and what color nitro!

Also have the 7 string ready for sanding sealer. It's getting a holo flake on white with matching headstock. No fun pictures for now, but posting this for extra accountability since I've been so slack lately.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just finished this monstrosity of a desk.

View attachment 94971

Which included building these rack cases

View attachment 94972

Keyboard slideout is awesome

What did you do for the joints on the rack cases? I had to make some a few years back because they had to be odd sizes, I just butt jointed them together with glue and wood screws, then after they dried I backed the screws out, drilled and dowel pinned the holes so that I could use a roundover. Was surprisingly strong.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Keyboard slideout is awesome

What did you do for the joints on the rack cases? I had to make some a few years back because they had to be odd sizes, I just butt jointed them together with glue and wood screws, then after they dried I backed the screws out, drilled and dowel pinned the holes so that I could use a roundover. Was surprisingly strong.
Funny you should ask! I actually did my very first ever non-screwed joint. Just a spline I cut on my newly-tuned table saw.

IMG_27062021_094207_(700_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Not the cleanest work but it worked! And I think they're pretty strong.