What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Walterson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

I could rock with that, but feeling pretty settled in with a traditional tele now I’ve done a load of Ibanez stuff recently so I should actually be fine

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  2. Soya

Soya Poor person

While not strictly guitar related, it's at least music related. Finished up another Bluetooth speaker, 2 Dayton audio DMA80 neo drivers ported at 52hz, running roughly 50 watts. About 15 hour battery life at medium volume with a 1500mah 6s lipo. Happy with the bass and mid response but highs are still a bit cloudy, might design a compact 2 way setup next. Very light though, maybe 4lbs.

PXL_20201114_214900281.jpg

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 90% GAS 10% skill

Slimenstein is coming along nicely.
    20201117_105023.jpg

Omzig, aesthyrian, Randy and 2 others like this.
  4. Soya

Soya Poor person

Cooler disrespected

aesthyrian and Randy like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 90% GAS 10% skill

I have 2 good coolers, and this one is basically trash, so I use it as a painting stand lol

6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Well the paint definitely makes it look
    Cooler

Samark and Taylor like this.
  7. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

Finally got around to restoring my old Union #5 hand plane. It used to belong to my great-grandfather, and possibly his father. I did a little research and managed to figure out that it was manufactured either in or before 1917. Making it over 100 years old. Kinda neat. Totally forgot to take some before pics so I pulled one from one of my build threads.

WP_20160422_19_31_49_Pro_zpsqpbijmde.jpg
    As you can see there is quite a patina, but there was also quite a bit of rust that necessitated total removal. I did a 24hr vinegar soak and most of the rust literally rubbed off with a finger.

0111212132_HDR.jpg
    The tote and knob were in decent shape but the finish wasn't great, and had white paint splatters over it. I didn't care for the gloss finish anyway so they got stripped and refinished with Tru-Oil.

0114212006a_HDR.jpg

You can see the japanning has been lost in some areas, mostly due to rust bubbling up from underneath, but surprisingly it is mostly intact.

0114212022.jpg

You can see "UNION MFG CO." stamped on the blade indicating that it was built before 1917 when Union reconsolidated and later models were stamped "Union Plane Co."

Hopefully I can get another 50 years of guitar building out of her.

8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Had some time to continue working on my fanned seven string. Finished the neck shape and mounted the inserts. Here are some shots how I do this, would be interested if anyone has a better idea here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

As the wood work was more or less done, I checked if everything fits in the electronics compartment and mounted the hardware. Tomorrow's finishing day, so I'll spend some time sanding and applying a dye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Nothing visual to post at the moment.

As I mentioned in the Skull and Bones thread, I moved in October and have been in the slow process of transferring the shop to the new place. Further complicated by the fact I'm having DMV issues that have prevented me from having my tow vehicle on the road since the beginning of December.

In the meantime, I did do some work on the lighting in the basement/shop. It was like a cave down there before with a couple incandescent lightbulbs you turn on and off with a pull chain, and I switched it all over to efficient LED shop lights that all turn on/off with the switch at the top of the stairs. At this point it looks like a fuckin operating room :lol:

Extrafunk, c7spheres, Taylor and 4 others like this.
  11. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Man I'd love to put LED's in my shop. That's gotta be next on my shop upgrade list. Currently running those long tube fluorescent bulbs... they are sketchy at best. The one right over my bench constantly flickers like something out of a horror movie scene. Cool for a halloween decoration but crappy to work under.

Randy and Solodini like this.
  12. Randy

I upgraded the old shop one unit at a time as finances would allow, but all the major retailers started stocking them consistently for sub-$20 per unit which made it easy to do and also expand.

For the new shop I was able to convert the whole place for under $200. They're brighter, they don't flicker, they don't need to "warm up", they use considerably less energy, they're more compact/lighter, and they're linkable up to 4 units off the same outlet.

Taylor likes this.
  13. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

LED shop-lights are the way to go :agreed:

Randy likes this.
  14. Randy

Finally got my DMV shit out of the way, shoveled out from the snowstorm two days ago, so I got the chance to start moving stuff over.

Not much set up yet but most of the big stuff moved over. Table saw and CNC machine are still left, then literally all of my projects and lumber, hand tools etc.

Getting that drill press and bandsaw up stairs, on and off the trailer and back down another flight of stairs was a NIGHTMARE.

IMG_20210128_170218948_resize_86.jpg IMG_20210128_170212674_resize_87.jpg IMG_20210128_170206526_resize_76.jpg IMG_20210128_170159647_resize_46.jpg IMG_20210128_170236102_resize_98.jpg

KR250, Taylor, Omzig and 2 others like this.
  15. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

This is more "above my workbench", but an important device for anyone creating fine wood dust. We all know, it kills you in the long run. Some wood dusts cause nausea, others are straight out carcinogenic. Take care of your health, guys!

[​IMG]

16. Randy

Definitely on the "must" list. Been using a respirator style mask for the last few years and it's nice but annoying if you're putting in a full day.

Cleaning today. You also see the difference from the lighting upgrades.

Screenshot_20210129-191831.png

IMG_20210129_190549852_resize_57.jpg

17. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

@Randy Wow! That's what I call a huge workshop, also like the stone walls.

If anyone ever thought about using those, I just received the El Cheapo headless tuners from AliExpress. Don't look bad at all, strings are clamped with a hex screw and the tuning mechanism has a ball bearing for smooth action. All in all, I'd call it a good choice at ~68USD for seven tuners including shipping to Europe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  18. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Dam fill my fridge with beer my bench with wood and lock me down there, paridise ;)

aesthyrian and Randy like this.
  19. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Cool can you please add that to the headless hardware feedback thread?

https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/hardware-for-headless-build.341920/

ElRay likes this.
  20. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

One quick caveat: These are good for keeping your shop clean, but they're not suitable as the only/primary dust collector for health protection. You still need good sub-micron point of production dust collection and/or respirator mask. Anything these catch, your lungs are already catching. In fact, unless it has a good sub-micron filtration, it's likely making things less healthy by keeping small particles afloat longer and spreading them throughout the shop.