What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Walterson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Nice patching,now just stick the strap button over it and you'll never even know its there ;) + mad skill on getting that cavitiy cover to fit without CNC lol

2. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Not exactly a workbench, but it might actually be large enough for (most of) a top. Also a smaller bit that might be good for 2 or more headstocks. Bit of stuff to fill, but other than that, I really like the way it looks. Might be because I did never actually see a bigger piece of burl in person. IMG_0938.jpg IMG_0940.jpg

3. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Rick Toone might be interested, send him a pic.

BlackMastodon and Solodini like this.
  4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Not a guitar, but I caught the diy mechanical keyboard bug so I'm planning a custom build in fusion 360 to mill with my cnc machine. Figure it'll be comfy and cool to use at work.

... When I eventually start working at the office again. Keyboard.png IMG_21032020_134232_(1080_x_700_pixel).jpg

5. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

Since the world has lost its mind because of a bit of a sniffle going around and I'm working from home, I've been in the back room workshop doing something a bit different for my third build - not mounting the neck on the body wood directly, but stand-off-ing it with speaker spikes counter-sunk into the neck and the pocket, like you'd use for mounting hi-fi speakers on stands/the ground.

spikes.jpg

No idea what effect it's going to have - might be garbage but these early builds are so rough anyway it's not like I'm building a guitar to be my #1 for life or anything.

6. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Nice! You're sticking with full ortho layout, rather than column stagger?

I love my ortho boards (Pair of RGBKB Sols, an Iris, a Preonic). I built an Iris a few days ago to try column stagger, but within less than an hour of finishing it, I zapped it with static and fried one half (thankfully just the RGB LEDs, but it turned me off using Split boards at home. They're a lot more sensitive to static).

7. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I don't know all the terms yet but yes full ortho. I assume column stagger adjusts the column heights to compensate finger length? I've thought about that but I'm leaning this way now because it is simpler and (maybe more importantly) I really like the look of the perfect grid.

9. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Exactly :) Like the Ergodox or the aforementioned keeb.io Iris.
    I really like my ortho boards and comfort isn't an issue for me there; cramped-layouts do trigger my carpal, which is why I favor Split keyboards personally.

10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I also planned on that originally but I didn't want to mess with the extra cabling for my first build. And I got the idea of a single board looking cool in my head and.... Here we are.

11. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Few folks ever go as far as designing the whole damn thing themselves; epic stuff!

12. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Finished up my furniture builds and am mostly satisfied wit the results. I'll at least be able to live with them for a while. (Trying to use Google Photos to post pics so let me know if these work)

Made a Dexter inspired finishing area in my basement to keep dust out that worked rather well. The only thing that made it into the finish was cat hair that was on my clothes or my own hair falling in, which resulted in me doing a couple of coats of finish in my underwear. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the last few thin coats I wet sanded with 400-600-800-1000-1500-2000 grit sandpapers and finally used a random orbital sander with a buffing pad and some carnuba wax to buff it. It resulted in...very mediocre results. Plenty of sanding swirl marks that I couldn't buff out but I was so exhausted I just didn't give a shit anymore, and they're only obvious in the sun. I ended up sanding through a couple spots, of course, but I fixed those up by applying a very thin layer of finish using a couple of lint free cloths, one wrapped inside the other (think French polish).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a spot where I sanded through the finish in the front left side here and along the edges, took this picture to test it out and considered leaving it, but after looking at it for a couple days I knew it would drive me nuts so that's when I decided to add a few more thin coats of the finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all was said and done, but before I filled it with a microwave and baskets of other kitchen shit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solodini, neun Arme, Taylor and 2 others like this.
  13. BlackMastodon

Also finished up the entertainment unit over the last couple of weeks of being quarantined.

I didn't take a pic, but before applying spray paint I watered down some white interior ceiling paint and painted all the MDF so I had a decent base to work with. Good thing I did that, too, because the Rustoleum chalk white spray paint I used kinda sucked and would've needed about 12 cans to get a decent solid finish on it, so I won't be using that line of paint again most likely. After the first can of chalk white spray paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It says to keep the can about 10-12" away while spraying, which I'd say is pretty standard for spray cans, but the coverage was absolute shit when I did it that way so I had to keep the can about 4-6" away while spraying.

All in all it turned out okay. The matte clear coat from the same Rustoleum chalk spray was absolutely garbage and I was worried it would ruin the whole thing. Half way through the spray turned to a spittle as it was getting clogged so I had to put the cap in paint thinner for about a half hour to finish app. This happened twice before I was finished. I only got enough spray to cover the edges and the surfaces where I'd be putting stuff, but I'm glad I didn't try to mess around with another can.

I put a thin line of glue along the edges and screwed the back pieces of wood into the main body. I was expecting to clamp the pieces but turned out to be unnecessary since the screws held tight enough.

[​IMG]

My living room wall before (taken about a year ago):

[​IMG]

And after (also fixedmy crooked-ass TV):

[​IMG]

Bolted it to the studs with some heavy lag bolts, the same ones that are holding up the TV, and it's working great. Now, after 3.5 years, I can finally pick up my router from my floor. :lol:

neun Arme, Taylor, Albake21 and 2 others like this.
  14. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

You're like me... that pic of the counter-top with the finishing flaw was quite unsettling lol. I absolutely would've done exactly what you did. Even if no one else notices things like that, YOU know it's there and it just bugs you every time you look at it. I hate my compulsive traits sometimes, but much of the time it's worth ( to me) taking the extra effort to go back in and fix the issue. Yeah... the flat-screen bothered me too lol. Nice work, man!

BlackMastodon likes this.
  15. BlackMastodon

Thanks dude! I can ignore those little things for a while but every now and then while watching TV I tilt my head a little in the opposite way and realize I was doing it to be level with the TV, then I just die a little inside. :lol:

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

not guitar related, but I'm doing some mockups for some knife builds. Haven't decided on handle options yet. Using brass rods so prob not the green. woods are padauk and lacewood if you're wondering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

neun Arme and Taylor like this.
  17. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

Did you forge the Damascus yourself, or did you buy the billets? They look great!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

bought em off ebay. I'm too chickenshit to commit to making my own knives from total scratch

19. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

If it looks silly but it works, is it really silly?

0411201725.jpg 0411201725b.jpg

20. ChAoZ

ChAoZ Build Addict

Making my first lefty

21.jpg

BlackMastodon, neun Arme and Taylor like this.