What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Walterson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Well now I definitely wanna be your friend!

Seriously, though, this is an awesome thing you're doing for her, and the build is looking excellent. Great choice of woods!

electriceye likes this.
  2. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Well, that’s wiped down with naphtha, so it’s showing what it will look like when finished.

Solodini likes this.
  3. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

Doesn't exactly fit on my cluttered workbench, but getting an enclosure built for a giant day gecko pair I plan on getting. Going to do a full bioactive setup with live plants and all that. 0216201527.jpg 0216201644.jpg

Here's an example of a giant day gecko I googled, in case anyone was wondering what they look like.
    c4q4mmtzzj931.jpg

Omzig, KR250, BlackMastodon and 2 others like this.
  4. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

5. BlackMastodon

Throw some BKP's in there and maybe a graphtech nut and I think she'll really pur.

6. BlackMastodon

Sorry to double post, but didn't want to sully my S-tier joke above with my mediocre skilz, and I am a wordy bastard.

So I was reminded that I hate 2 things:
    1) Imgur's site and the fact I can't upload pictures to existing albums (if they even have albums), and
    2) S A N D I N G

I got the counter top stained how I like it, think I even got most of the sanding scuffs out, then I brushed a coat of Minwax poly on and it turned out like complete shit. So many little dots and bubbles popped up and it looked terrible, so as I was sanding it down smooth, I basically sanded through the layer of clear anyway but hey, at least now the grain is sealed!

[​IMG]

Stained it again, ready for Varathane brush on poly, this one being an outdoor waterproof one. I used a foam brush for this one and it turned out much smoother, but still had some pockmarks, possibly due to dust coming from my basement rafters.

[​IMG]

Then here's where I went Advanced Stupid and forgot that sanding across the grain is the fucking worst idea I could've possibly had, but hey, I read a guide on sanding poly flat and thought I was smrt. Sanding across the grain inevitably went through the clear and scratched the wood and looked horrible, so I spent a few days sanding It all down fresh with 220 on a palm sander, followed by 320 with my random orbital and got it down to this (after I cleaned the dust off with paint thinner):

[​IMG]

So once I can move my arms again, I'm gonna hit it again with 220 sandpaper on a block to get it back to the colour I originally had, which I really liked, then I'm gonna buy like 4 cheap shower curtains or plastic wrap so I can have a makeshift dust-free finishing booth in my basement, and then I'm gonna try to do a couple layers of the 2nd poly before I lightly sand with 320 or 400 to get any bubbles/bumps out before I add more layers.

This is giving me PTSD of when I was trying to do the finish on my last guitar body which was mostly natural and then an oil finish. This is seriously making me reconsider my idea to sand down and refinish that body with a harder finish to protect it from sun-fade. :noplease:

Taylor likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

should have just put a thin layer of epoxy over it. Poly is a huge pain in the ass if you have to brush or wipe it on.

8. BlackMastodon

Considered that too but I'm still gonna have to curtain off the area to keep dust out.

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I picked up a busted Fender 75 Combo amp a few days ago. It apparently stopped working while ago, and didn’t work great before that.
    This is after I rebuilt the power tube sockets, the switching, and AC line voltage and heater circuits:
    6B0FD5A5-3084-46F9-94B6-27F88713A0D2.jpeg
    Because the thing was so thrashed I decided to gut all the unnecessary components and build a single high gain channel. This is somewhere along the line of the new stripped down circuit. I’m horrible with documenting progress :lol:
    9BDD88DF-7EEC-40E2-8467-2BC116F0F666.jpeg
    I hacked up the combo shell with a sawzall and used the parts to make a crude headshell. A chunk of burnt wood for the grille completed the look nicely.
    60F9BC8E-1192-47E4-90B7-76E72199520A.jpeg
    I made a sloppy quick jam at one of the low volume “modern” tones I get with it. I can get hair metal to doom out of this little guy so far. I’m sure I’ll keep messing with the circuit, but for now it’s got plenty of gain, a wide variety of high gain tones, and is pretty damn quiet for 40 year old capacitors. It’s been a fun couple days working on this.
    https://www.bitchute.com/video/SqQw1q7HTbta/

10. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

Currently my 7 string is at the workbench at Claas Guitars.

Will be a Leviathan shape with a Ash body and headstock, Poplar Burl top and wenge neck ;)
    Will be throwing some Ragnaroks in it :)
    F0526F1B-5590-43F1-BC6B-507382D361F5 2.JPEG

11. RBadel

RBadel SS.org Regular

I love the fact that you took your inspiration from Mr. Toone!

Looks like some really good work you put in there. Keep it on. I will be keeping an eye on work in your furture ;)

12. Taylor

Taylor Formerly... someone

In case anyone was wondering, here's how the gecko tank turned out. Still need to pick up a panel of acrylic for the door/viewing window, also need to pick up the geckos themselves. For now I'll wait a few weeks to let the plants establish in their new home.
    Snapchat-1306280177.jpg