what's more important cab or amp in guitar sound ?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Wojtas_guitar1, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Wojtas_guitar1

Wojtas_guitar1 SS.org Regular

Hey. I did an experiment where I used 3 plugins and all with the same IR, for me they started to sound very similar, so I think that cab is the most important factor in guitar sound.
    Link to video:

atoragon likes this.
  2. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

I don't know about *the* most important, but I know in BiasFX2, among the high gain amps models, the cab model has a larger effect on the overall tone than the amp does, for sure! That doesn't hold if I switch amp classes (to a mid-gain or clean amp model), but even then, it's a strong color.

I guess the cab sim / IR is basically a really finely detailed EQ; it's going to change the signal in the exact same way no matter the source.

3. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

4. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Well, an IR isn't just a cab. It's the cab AND the mic/mic blend.

I'd say in order of effect on sound:
    1. Speaker type
    2. Mic position
    3. Cabinet itself
    4. Amp

Since an IR captures the top 3, that's why it matters more than changing amp model. The amps have different characteristics - tighter, looser, and different gain types. But the cab is basically deciding the EQ of your guitar signal, so for recording the IR is most important. Live is another story IMO.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

A thread on amps vs cabs and literally nobody comments on a real version of either. :lol:

The amp. By a long shot.

icipher, TedEH, c7spheres and 2 others like this.
  6. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Well considering this is the home studio board I think you have to assume he meant sims and IRs (like, I know you can use analog gear in the studio too and they talk about VSTs and Sims in Gear and Equipment but still)

7. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

IME, amp matters more in the room, but cab matters more under a mic.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

These "posts-but-really-YTspam" threads are getting to be quite the nuisance.

icipher, Masoo2, StevenC and 10 others like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Questions like this only exist because of software amp modeling, and threads like this only exist because of YouTube monetization.

Thanks, Al Gore. :noway:

Masoo2, StevenC, Vyn and 2 others like this.
  10. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

spam, I won't watch.

StevenC likes this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Talking about in the box, The quality and mix of them matters more, but really, the amp does because without it there is nothing. You can still have an amp sound without the cab, but not without the amp. Without the cab you could still at least mix it and hear it. Cab IR's are icing on the cake and not required for a good mix.

12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Oh, I see. I'm ignorant and new to this forum and social media stuff. Now that you mention it, I see the light! I do notice a lot of posts with the YT video's attached.

13. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Damn it! I just had an epiphany. I want to like all this new technology and It really does sound the same to me now. I just can hear it now. Seriously, like I've read about people talking about it having "that sound you can't get away from" I can't not hear it even on other clips. All the AxeFxIII, Helix, Even Kemper Stuff. All of it. Damn it. I even hear on the brown sound amps and heavy amps too and this is an AxeIII in that clip. It sounds like a specific freq of air coming out of a tire. WTF! Is that sound? Thanks for saving me money dude! I'm sticking with my amps. Seriously. I really appreciate it.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  14. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

Cab/mic/mic position have a much bigger influence on tone, at least when it comes to recording. I've done a lot of comparison type shit and running a variety of different amps into the same cab miced the same way, and what results is subtle/not-so-subtle variations on what is the same overall EQ curve and tonality. For a comparison, check out the guitar tone on Exodus' "Impact is Imminent" and then "Tempo of the Damned". Despite sounding vastly different from one another, they're literally the exact same head, but different cabs and mics.

This is why, IMO, chasing tones without studying the studio trickery behind creating them is largely pointless. You can get Dimebag's, Hetfield's, Randy Rhoads', or whoever's exact rig and not sound like the record because of the unique EQ the mic and mic position have on the tone.

15. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

OK...so according to @Wojtas_guitar1 we take fake amplifiers and fake speakers, and somehow we discern that real cabs are most important???

The whole thing is a system, starting from guitar to the one or many microphones that you run into the board/recording interface. Even the recording interface input has a "sound".

16. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Looking at the thread title, I assumed we were talking about amps vs cabs, not fake amps and fake cabs nor recording. I didn’t bother watching the vid at first.

IN THE ROOM, I’m pretty sure my ears have never deceived me when running different heads through the same cab. And those amps still sound like themselves through my other cab which is way different. I played a Rectifier through my 4x12 once too. Guess what? It sounded different than my 6505.

Sometimes I think I’m one of the last people on SS.O who actually plays through real gear...

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    StevenC, Descent, Drew and 3 others like this.
  17. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I feel ya there, brother.

KailM likes this.
  18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No, I'm with you, man. Not only do I use real amps and real cabs, and record with real mics, I've gone as far as buying really nice mic preamps and rack EQs so I'm printing a 98% finished guitar sound to disc. The idea of recording a DI and then throwing a bunch of presets at it blows my mind. :lol:

StevenC and c7spheres like this.
  19. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Nah...you're not. We are probably less vocal as we don't need to justify our high $$$ spending on digital outboard units like AxeFx and just are quietly plugging guitars into real amps and miking them.

I've actually even done the A/B tests and live capture via mic still sounds better and sits better in a mix that its modeled digital counterpart.

I do record direct, as unfortunately can't have access to a live room all the time but then I reamp through real rig which then gets recorded via multimic setup. This is my preferred mic method:
    Jet City miking.jpg

c7spheres likes this.
  20. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I think we're overlooking a far more important question here: Is the bread or the cheese the most important part of a pizza?

Once we're done with that I'd really like to know which is more important between the front wheel or back wheel on a bike.

Descent likes this.