What's a 7-string guitar with the thinnest neck?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rx, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rx

rx I drink water.

this comes from limited observation and knowledge, but I kinda noticed that 7-string guitars usually have thicker necks than 6-strings. I want a 7-sting guitar with a really fast neck. with the 7-string, I'm gonna play some Fear Factory, Meshuggah, and whatever I can play on a 6-string, and I want to glide all over the fretboard.

any suggestions are appreciated

2. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

I believe the answer is Ibanez, the wizard7 necks are pretty much the same as a regular wizard, just wider. I could be wrong about that though, but I really couldnt imagine anything thinner.

3. rx

rx I drink water.

actually it's a lot thicker....

http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/necks.htm

4. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Almost all 7-strings I've played have a thicker neck than you'd find on an Ibanez Wizard neck. But the Wizard-7 neck seems about the same thickness you'd find on a typical 6-string neck, such as a Jackson neck. That's one big reason my 7620 has become my main guitar.

The only other comparably thin 7-string neck I know of is the Conklin Groove Tools GTG-7 guitar. Even that is not as thin as an Ibanez Wizard, however.

Frankly, I don't think a 7-string neck that thin would be a good idea, because the increased tension on a 7-string neck would render it unstable and requiring frequent adjustment.

Have you tried out an Ibanez 7-string? If so and you find that too thick, you might be out of luck unless you want to order some kind of custom-made guitar from Conklin or Jackson or such.

5. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

i play an rg7621, and the neck is great. i don't think 7 string necks can be terribly thin, due to the added tension of the other string, but i dunno.

btw, STOP what? :)

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Also, thin necks aren't exactly the greatest thing for your wrists- I went into this in more detail in the tendonitis thread, but I destroyed my frettingand wrist binge-practicing stretchy sweep licks with my 520 slung too low; a guitar with the minescule wizard neck. even at the worst I could still play my strat with only minimal discomfort, and a bit of research showed me that this was not an unusual phenomina, to the point where Bob Taylor was contemplating introducing a wider "anti-tendonitis" neck as an option on taylors.

So, suck it up and bear it. ;)

-D

7. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

A thin neck is nice, but it's usually the last main thing i look at. Don't forget you span across the frettboard will be much more. That is harder to adjust to than the thickness.

8. rx

rx I drink water.

stop from scrolling down any further. I sometimes forget where I posted and so that I can strat reading where I last replied at... I can quickly scroll down and find my last post and continue reading from where the thread left off. :)

9. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

LOL :lol:
    i do the same thing :p

...only, i ctrl+F and search for my callsign.

but yours, much more ingenious :D

10. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

hmmm that doesent seem right, I could see myself being a bit off being that the only Ibanez I have left now besides my RG7620 has a WizardII, and Id say the RG7s neck is very very comporable.

For what its worth I personaly prefer the WizardII, even though Ive got tiny girl hands

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, but check the stats on Ibanez.com- the WizardII is noticeably more substantial- on paper it's only a few mm, but it makes a huge difference and I believe there's a change in profile as well.

Personally, I prefer the WII to the W anyway, so it's no loss on my end. ;)

-D

12. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

no arguments here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.