What were the prices of used Peavey Decades before Josh Homme (QOTSA) revealed it as his secret weapon?

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Like a six pack of fancy beer, but not too fancy.
Sounds about right. I was fixing to say, those prices can't be right, but then again, we all see what happens when someone endorses even the cheapest of gear, but this has to be one of the biggest examples, surely?

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Peavey WhatTF? Since when was this thing a thing?

And what is it used for?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds about right. I was fixing to say, those prices can't be right, but then again, we all see what happens when someone endorses even the cheapest of gear, but this has to be one of the biggest examples, surely?

I wouldn't say it's the "biggest" or most egregious.

Back in the 90's when grunge took off shitty pawn shop guitars that you usually got for almost free were demanding like USA Fender and Gibson prices for years.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, as to the title, used Peavey SS stuff sits around $100, usually less. (don't pay more, I don't care who recorded what through it)

These have to be based on or similar to another Peavey design right? The control layout, and even the name scheme, looks very similar to the PV Century unit that I use for quite a while. That amp was also good at copping QotSA tones.

Honestly, I have yet to find an old PV practice amp that I don't like the sound of.

EDIT: Friendly reminder that little PV combos actually just rip. This one was $10 at Value Village. Just waiting for some beardo to track a doom album with one so I can retire after I sell this puppy for a 1,000,000,000% profit.

EDIT 2: There are people building pedal clones of this now, so if you're after the tone that route is available. Personally though I wouldn't when you can have a Rage 1/258, Backstage 20, Bandit, or any of their other three dozen SS combos for sub-$100 all day long.

Last edited:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, if you really wanted one, you could likely make it from another Peavey SS amp or even from scratch for a few dozen bucks

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The reason Peavey keeps coming up as "sleeper" gear is simply that the used to make high quality, long-lasting gear at a working class price point. They never gathered the prestige of other brands outside of the 5150 line, which kept stuff affordable.

Their T-series of basses and guitars were also super affordable sleepers until doom hipsters with a fetish for back and shoulder issues decided they were the hot shit.

Do your part, never ever pay more than $100 for Peavey.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
It would be nice if people kept that unspoken understanding that Peavey makes gems, let's keep them reasonably priced.

The older Rage combos with the aluminum sides are sick. I've been wanting to track one down for a while but I get distracted getting other gear.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It would be nice if people kept that unspoken understanding that Peavey makes gems, let's keep them reasonably priced.

The older Rage combos with the aluminum sides are sick. I've been wanting to track one down for a while but I get distracted getting other gear.

I gave the one above to my partner and she pawned it when we split lmao, can't imagine she got more than $5. Defintely on the prowl for another. I've also seen them chopped down to head units and NGL I def want a Rage 158 head.

I also miss my Standard 260 on a regular basis. That thing had some incredible power amp grind with the channels jumpered.

ha ha peavey go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
They definitely had some bass amp gems too:

Combo 300 with a Black Widow. Heavy but loud as shit and they always seemed puncy to me for a 1x15.

Mark 3's and 6's were pretty decent. 4's were super cool for the feature set, I need to track one of those down.

Microbass: 20 watt combo with an 8" speaker. Super basic and the input can get overloaded easily but I've always enjoyed them.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Funny how it took some people so long to realize how good Peavey was, and now we’re seeing some of these Peavey amps spike in value: Supreme 160, XXX, Ultra +, etc.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I am suspicious that the only factor is an endorsement from a popular but not massive band, with solid but not spectacular guitar tone.

I choose to believe this is entirely down to crusty doom guys buying them all up and that in a year or two there will be a big explosion in sludgy awesome.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am suspicious that the only factor is an endorsement from a popular but not massive band, with solid but not spectacular guitar tone.

I choose to believe this is entirely down to crusty doom guys buying them all up and that in a year or two there will be a big explosion in sludgy awesome.

Guilty. I do my part by never spending more than $100 on one.

To your first point, I am fairly sure I read somewhere that Josh Homme's tone has been based on loud, underappreciated, mid-forward amps since the Kyuss days. Lots of Ampeg and PV.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Guilty. I do my part by never spending more than $100 on one.

To your first point, I am fairly sure I read somewhere that Josh Homme's tone has been based on loud, underappreciated, mid-forward amps since the Kyuss days. Lots of Ampeg and PV.

Man it's been way too long since I listened to Kyuss, the best of the Homme projects.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My combo300 is my main amp atm! And once my encore 65 gets fixed thatd be a main amp as well. Love ol peavey

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Peavey Bandit lover here, just wanted to chime in and say yeah I got mine for $40 bucks back in the early 2000s and that thing rocked many a house show.

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can't think of a single instance when Qotsa has sounded like they were using a Peavey Decade. He used a Mosvalve RT-2100 for a ton of stuff, and it is the sound of Kyuss and early Qotsa and then he got the sound of that amp with everything else he used. It's a unique tone, but it's not good.