what up with Strapping Young Lad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rx, Apr 20, 2005.

1. rx

rx I drink water.

all their songs seem like one-finger powerchord crap with TOO MUCH open string notes and riffs that don't go together well. I've only heard a couple songs and listened to powertabs. what do you think of them?

2. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I like them, but I prefer Devin's solo albums to SYL.

I often find myself passing over these CD's when looking for something to listen to....

3. Richardscuro

Richardscuro SS.org Regular

I really love Strapping Young Lad. It is takes a while to get into but I like the contrasting chaos and melody that happens in the music.

4. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i think SYL rocks.... and devin in general rocks... some great music, even if SYL doesn't have solos... least it has gene hoglan;)

5. rx

rx I drink water.

no solos? argh! and who's gene hoglan?

6. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Gene Hoglan. Listen to the band Dark Angel, you will then respect Gene Hoglan.

7. Richardscuro

Richardscuro SS.org Regular

SYL is not the kind of band that you understand on the first listen. There is a lot of stuff going on and to really get a good understanding and appreciation of it, you have to listen to the music a few times. SYL may not be for everyone, but Steve Vai thought that Devin was extremely gifted when he first heard his music. :hbang:

8. rx

rx I drink water.

devin plays a stephen carpenter 7 string and that other guitarist plays a dv-8...... sweet axe!

9. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

...or Death, Testament, The Almighty Punchdrunk. One of the best metal drummers EVER! Not to mention, he's a great guy. I've hung out with him numerous times.

To check out a documentary of the making of the latest SYL CD, check it out here

SYL is an acquired taste. The first time I heard them, I didn't care for it. However, once I gave it an honest shot, I began to love and understand the beauty in combining melody & chaos. For the noobies, check out "City", then check out "Alien."

Also, for those who don't know, SYL uses Open C tuning for a majority of the songs (C G C G C E) or for the 7-string tunes (G C G C G C E).

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Of course, Devin didn't start SYL until after the Vai gig... ;)

I too think Devin's solo stuff blows away SYL ("Terria" is fuckin' genius), but it's great music. I think where you're going wrong here is listening to the powertabs. ;) I've heard GREAT things about their newest, "Alien," but in the meantime I think my favorite SYL track is "In the Rainy Season" off "Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing" - fairly simple, but great lyrics and the outro is gorgeous.

-D

11. Elysian

Elysian Banned

devin just finished producing Darkest Hour's next album, which comes out i believe june 28th... kris(the guitarist, know him from musicianwar.com) said "children of bodom fans eat your heart out" so hopefully the next Darkest Hour album is pretty sick.... and with a guy like devin producing it, you know its gonna sound damn good...

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Nooo shit, Kris got to work with Devin? Didn't know that... He's one of my favorite producers. I'll have to check out their new album. :)

-D

13. uv-7

uv-7 Member

yeah SYL and the rest of devin`s work is really good. he has made some favorites of mine yes.