What to use for gluing in frets?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by DistinguishedPapyrus, Dec 3, 2012.

1. bob123

bob123 Banned

Yes but you have precision gear, have been doing it a long time, and you're much more exact then anyone starting out :) for a refret with a chipped out board, would you trust super glue for the long haul?

Wish op would chime in and tell us what this is for.... that would help in answering accurately.

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

I use CA. Specifically, I use Loctite Superglue Gel. I run a skinny bead of it along the top of the slot, then bang the fret in.

It works well, and I've had no problems. The fret tangs are responsible for keeping the fret in place, not the glue. The glue is mostly there to fill any gaps. The glue may also be somewhat of a suggestion that the frets stay in place, but it's not that significant.

Also, you can remove CA with acetone if you ever need to refret the thing. Epoxy is not as forgiving.

3. demonx

demonx Searls Guitars Vendor

This is the same brand superglue I'm using at the moment. I've tried many and I like this the best.

As you said, its the tang that does the job. The glue is really only there as a safety blanket. Getting your slots right and hammering technique in the correct order is imperitive. If you hit the fret wrong, itll not seat right or you'll damage the slot. If this is the way someone frets then forget the glue and learn how to fret first.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

Agreed. I like it because it stays put and gives me about 30 seconds or so to get the fret lined up and whacked in.

BTW, for anyone interested, Carl Thompson has a good video on fretting on youtube.

He has a lot of great lutherie videos, actually. He does ramble quite a bit, but I find his videos all worth watching.

5. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

I've heard mention of using capillary action to get the fretboard to draw the glue along the surface of the fret slot by watering down CA glue. Anybody know any more about that?

6. demonx

demonx Searls Guitars Vendor

Heres a quick mobile phone clip I did a while back for the project guitar forum - straight to the point with minimal rambling.
    You might have to click "watch on youtube" and then maximise the screen to see the captions/description etc

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

^^ Pretty much exactly how I do it.

8. bob123

bob123 Banned

Ok professionals, is he doing a refret on an older guitar, or is he doing a brand new fresh job?

You don't know, neither do I, both require different skill sets and techniques to accomplish. What if he used a wide kerf blade? If you used super glue on a worn out fretboard, Id call you an idiot. And yes, the tang is supposed to hold it, that should be understood before doing anything...

I remember my first refret... what a shamble. I just "ripped out" the frets, and went willy nilly with a razor blade to clean it up. Needless to say, the tangs werent wide enough to make them sit properly, and I ended up having to epoxy the frets in. I made a mess, but everything was functional :p Im pretty sure if I used super glue, the shit would have popped out in a week. I know Im new to the building game, but I've been dicking with necks for over 10 years now...

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

Uh...ok...

10. bob123

bob123 Banned

meh, sarcasm aside, Im very correct. Dislike me or not, doesn make the fact you dont know whats going on any more then I do. Would you not use epoxy for gluing frets in on a wide spaced fret slot or not?

The fact is, we're beating a dead horse until OP chimes in on whats going on.

11. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

*Edited*

12. bob123

bob123 Banned

edited per agreement.

13. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

*Edited*

14. bob123

bob123 Banned

edited per agreement.

15. bob123

bob123 Banned

edited per agreement.

16. Al NiCotin

Al NiCotin SS.org Regular

Some details about this please? (may be my technical datas aren't up to date)

17. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

If I felt the situation warranted epoxy, I would use it. However, there are better ways of dealing with too-wide fret slots than slathering it up with epoxy.