What the hell happened to Arsis?!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Esp Griffyn, Jun 10, 2010.

1. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

"Forced to Rock" isn't the problem... the entire album not having a single song that compares to anything on 'A Celebration of Guilt" is the problem. The fact that I can't stand to listen to an album from a band that used to be #1 on my list of favorite bands is the problem. While I feel like they haven't made an album since ACoG that compared to it, at least each of the albums had some redeeming value. I'd already given up hope that they'd write another album that would compare to ACoG, or :gasp: progress and write something even better, but at least the subsequent albums were still listenable. This most recent album managed to absolutely kill any remaining respect I had for them. I'll still happily listen to "Face of My Innocence", but I don't plan on buying any further Arsis albums. Arsis used to write vicious, technical, powerful, dynamic, inspiring death metal songs. I bought my first 5150 because I saw James playing one. I still wear around my Arsis hoodie with the ACoG skull. It's worn, but I loved that album. This new album is 80's cock rock. And a poor example of it, at that. This may be the largest disappointment I've had to date in my musical life. The only thing I could imagine being worse is if Nile started playing songs that could be mistaken for Vanilla Ice covers. Or Bon Jovi.

2. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I quite like the latest album now, but it's not a proper ball-tearer like "A Celebration of Guilt" and "United in Regret". Those two albums just blow me away every time I hear them because they are so heavy and perfectly constructed. The latest album is good, but it's not as involving as their earlier stuff.

As for James Malone's importance to Arsis, I think it was minimal. On balance I think "We are the Nightmare" might be their weakest album overall, and James going to Black Dahlia Murder certainly didn't help them - his solo on "I will return" is awesome, but "Deflowered" is BDM's weakest album too I think.

3. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

I have to agree with you, TMM. I used to hold Arsis up on a pedestal with bands like Gojira and Necrophagist. However, Arsis has dropped off the radar for me more with each release. I have a great deal of respect for the musicianship in that band, but their direction appeals to me less and less as they progress. My drummer listened to me rave about them for years and years, so he picked up the new cd. He was incredibly confused after what I had told him that band was capable of. I'm not sure I'd buy their next release based off of what they've been doing for the last two albums.

In their defense, trying to play the beginning of "Servants to the Night" is something that will always give me trouble. It's so weird.

4. Axel

Axel SS.org Regular

You're not alone. I just compared the two videos in the first post and found the new stuff to be way clearer and more distinct.
    That old stuff sounded super chaotic with no real direction.

Of course I'm a sucker for Death Rock.
    I imagine the OP is as disappointed as I was with Carcass' Swansong but I'm sure he'll go back to this album in a few years and listen to it for what it is and not for what the average listener expected to hear.

If you guys dig this definitely check out Swansong and also the bands Avatar and Helltrain.

5. Whiskey_Funeral

Whiskey_Funeral SS.org Regular

While Arsis isn't one of my favorite bands, I like the old and the new albums equally. I think it's awesome that they're writing lyrics that aren't about being a depressed, angsty pussy like most other metal bands do.
    I don't see how someone could say they've lost "respect" for this band. Why? Because they're not TR00 or KVLT or BR00TALZ enough anymore? Give me a break. It isn't like they started playing Fall Out Boy covers or something. Arsis still plays METAL. You can tell they're into what they're doing and very passionate about it.
    I love the video, too (though obviously there aren't enough dragons or skeletons or upside down crosses in it for some people:fawk:). You can tell they're paying homage to what they grew up listening to. I'm into Motley Crue, Vinnie Vincent, and KISS in their hair metal days. I have a really hard time thinking of many other bands that can blend that style of music in with extreme metal so eloquently. I also have a hard time thinking of any bands that sound as unique as Arsis do.

6. BenInKY

BenInKY Banned

I like more songs on Starve For The Devil than any of their other albums, although it's close.

And when I bought it and saw the song title "Force to Rock" I LOL'd.

Angry critics are just jealous. Always.

I saw Arsis a few months ago. James said from the stage he was broke and liked Red Bull and Vodka. I bought one and put it on the stage and he dedicated 2 songs to me :wub:

7. Cyntex

Cyntex love & peace!

A Celebration Of Guilt and Diamond For Disease totally kick ass, kinda forgot about them though.

8. TCOH5246

TCOH5246 SS.org Regular

I agree with you on "Forced to Rock". I love that album, but "We Are The Nightmare" and "A Celebration Of Guilt" will always be my favorites. I can't see how you can say WATN was soulless...Have you heard the melody line to Failing Winds of Hopeless Greed? Absolutely beautiful!

9. TCOH5246

TCOH5246 SS.org Regular

Haha, he said the exact same thing when I saw him! I offered to by him a shot, but he said no... :nuts:

10. BenInKY

BenInKY Banned

He finished the song, picked mine up and took a sip, finished the set, then drank the rest of it ;)

11. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

My reservations about the latest release are more related to the riffs and overall "feel" of the album rather than lyrical content. I've never been one to take any metal band seriously or care of lyrical content too much. I always loved the balance of death and thrash metal that Arsis put together in the past. It just feels like they took a few extra steps away from death metal and incorporated more 80s thrash. That might be a plus to some, but it just wasn't what I wanted from them.

12. GalacticDeath

GalacticDeath SS.org Regular

Agreed, seems like they're replacing their previous death metal influence with some power metal. Not my cup of tea but not that bad either. just eh.

13. HamBungler

HamBungler Lord Zorgatron

I thought it was a great album quite honestly, a lot of fun. I don't get that people think its bad that they aren't playing what they "usually" play. They have a sense of art direction too and like to play what they want to play, and its certainly not bad by any means, so I say just enjoy it for what it is as that's what the band's hearts are in and its what they wanted to do. I'm sure they'll probably come back heavy as ever in their next album, they just want to do something different for once which I think is great and needed more from bands nowadays.

14. Severance

Severance The Cockhammer

This is my guess as to what happened to em...

15. Whiskey_Funeral

Whiskey_Funeral SS.org Regular

Best. Video. Ever. I love that part right at 0:18. Has anybody ever seen the Majesty DVD? Those dudes look like they'd be fun as hell to hang out with.

16. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Having spent a night partying with them, being thrown out of a Burger King and then eventually thrown out of a nightclub with them, I can attest that they are an awesome bunch of guys. Some of the footage from out night out made it into the "What a wonderful night for a curse" video :hbang:

17. Severance

Severance The Cockhammer

Yeah my bassist showed it to me and my drummer and our collective unit as a band hoped that some day we tour with them just cause they look so fucking crazy and fun.

18. NovaReaper

NovaReaper Banned

A Celebration of Guilt is some serious :mf666:

19. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I dig Arsis, but this video always makes me laugh because James Malone's voice just sounds (to me), well, not very good in it:

20. NaYoN

NaYoN Heavy Blog Is Heavy

well, he's not actually screaming there, he's just making a noise that sounds kind of like his screaming voice. He's probably trying to not strain his voice too much, and the mic sounds really sensitive so he probably doesn't want to yell. Also it would look awkward sitting there by himself screaming.