What string set for fan-fret 7?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by maxrossell, Mar 30, 2021.

1. maxrossell

maxrossell SS.org Regular

Hi guys,
    I've just won an Ormsby Hype GTR 7 on an auction, and I'm wondering what your recommendations would be for strings?

It's 25.5" to 27.8" and I'll be in drop Ab (flat standard with the lowest down a whole step) most of the time, flat standard the rest of the time. I like a good bit of tension and resistance but I'm not into big thick bridge cables. I've ordered a few sets of Power Slinkys because thry were cheap (and I've always used Ernie Ball), but is there an existing set that would work better here?

Thanks.

2. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Personally I am on the side of the argument that even for regular scaled guitars pre-made sets almost all suck balance wise and I've been using full custom sets for years now, despite the price.

Either you do the same (which especially with a multiscale is even more beneficial) by using any string tension calculator available, or you use the power slinkys + something like a 64-68 for the Ab

I use 11-64 on a 26.5 7 string for Bb Standard.

3. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I'd probably throw a 10-59 set

4. Un1corn

Un1corn Instant Djent Machine

I will go 09-52 or 10-56 or 10-59.

Masoo2 likes this.
  5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

A big +1 here.

If you're new to single string sets, start with StringJoy. They have a string tension calculator, will package the singles as a set, and save them to your account for easy re-order. The prices are still in the same ballpark as pre-packaged sets. Also, you can schedule regular deliveries (I think at a slight discount, IIRC).

Again, for the new folks, the general rule for the change in length between strings is:
    (longestScaleLength - shortestScaleLength)/(numberOfStrings - 1)​
    Also, the general recommendation is to start with the 1st string at a gauge you know you like (assuming the 1st string is the same length), and then pick the gauge for the next string so the tension is barely higher. Doing this will actually make all the strings feel the same tension.

I first used single string sets when I tuned my 7 to All M3rds. The feel of an even tension progression was well worth sticking to custom sets.

6. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

I think the tension calculators are a good jumping off point, but it's still taking me a good amount of experimentation to find *my* set for my multi-scale 8. Mine is 25.5-27.5, and I'm currently using a DR Tite Fit 10-75 set.

The String Source is another good choice for finding good prepackaged sets, especially if you like balanced tension. It turns out, I like a little less tension on the F#, B, and E than the others.

7. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I like 09-62 or 64 sets for that kind of scale length and tuning. Not too loose and still sounds like a guitar.

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Ormsby is probably the only production builder with a fan that actually works with those 7 string sets. Normally I find the low string way too loose even for standard tuning so I always buy 6 string sets and the low string separately.

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

go to stringjoy tension calculator

input the guitar you currently have and you feel comfortable with. Then change the scale lenght to match the ormsby and your intended tuning. Now match the lbs of tension to your old guitar. Use that as a starting point for strings

example: (for E standard)

I like 9-46 on ym 25.5" guitar

so for my Hype (25.5-27.5") I need a 9-42's to match tension

happy days