What screams "cheap" to you?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought this might be fun to discuss, what are some features on guitars high-end or low-end alike that screams "I'm cheap" to you, regardless of price?

To me, pickup rings. This is the worst culprit to me. Any time I see a guitar with black plastic pickup rings I always picture a Donner or Musiclily Amazon part bin pieces and just really turns me off. Same with plain maple necks/fretboards. Unless it's on a nice lake placid blue or something similar it always looks so cheap to me, I'm really not sure why.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
proprietary hardware. Very very few guitar companies are using oem stuff that's worth a damn imo.
Not matching all the screws to the hardware color scheme
Sharp fret ends
Tool marks on the fretboard/body
poorly figured photoflame/veneers
gaps around inlays/binding

I don't mind pickup rings, so long as they're not using black rings with other colors of hardware *cough* PRS *cough*

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I morely meant barring obvious cheap guitar symptoms like sharp fret ends and stuff, I morely meant not cheap appointments that scream cheap to you.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Black pickup rings with black pickups. Pickup rings themselves are fine, but it needs contrast either with pickup covers or using creme rings (like how Gibson usually does it).

Black or sunburst strats with white pickguards. Doesn't matter if it cost $3k, it immediately looks like every $200 knockoff plywood guitar. Use a black or tort guard instead.

Unsealed or trapeze tuners

Almost all rosewood (or "rosewood") boards. If it isn't dark smooth and even, please use frikkin maple instead.
Rosewood doesn't need a finish like maple and doesn't crack or split like ebony if it dries out. Maple is prone to warping/twisting. Ebony is prone to shrinking and leaving fret ends poking out. I wish more guitars came with rosewood.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most pau ferro fret-boards and fret-boards that appear dry.

This. In general, faux wood or low quality wood that's chosen for it's very vague appearance to real wood is sketch. The type of rosewood they're trying to replace had unique color and graining, and the pao ferro etc are a uniform brown that replicates the hue of DRY rosewood with no figure.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Black pickup rings with black pickups. Pickup rings themselves are fine, but it needs contrast either with pickup covers or using creme rings (like how Gibson usually does it).

Black or sunburst strats with white pickguards. Doesn't matter if it cost $3k, it immediately looks like every $200 knockoff plywood guitar. Use a black or tort guard instead.

Rosewood doesn't need a finish like maple and doesn't crack or split like ebony if it dries out. Maple is prone to warping/twisting. Ebony is prone to shrinking and leaving fret ends poking out. I wish more guitars came with rosewood.
maple doesn't really need a finish either. Ebony only shrinks if it had too high of a moisture content when installed on a guitar. Same shit happens with other woods when they're improperly dried.

Good wood suppliers will kiln dry everything and keep the wood in a humidity controlled environ.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
Like the whole bullet and affinity series just scream cheapo cringe to me.

Classic vibe?? How about classic cheap ass cringe guitar...

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Plastic nut, flimsy feeling pots, most non-branded pickups, bad fretwork, nyatoh as body wood. I don't know, sometimes pickguard can make it look cheap. Looks wise sometimes these things really depend how the whole instrument is.

Non matching screws or any other part on hardware looks pretty cool to me, for example Hipshot bridges, Schaller Hannes, and Floyd Rose with titanium screws. Schaller open tuners... Gotoh MG-T.