What pickups for a Sapele body?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by decoy205, Oct 19, 2019.

1. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

I recently got a custom single hum guitar with the intention of it being my chug machine.

It has a quilted Sapele body
    Maple neck with a nice dark Indian rosewood board. I went with a hipshot tonamatic bridge. Tuned to drop c.

I play a 5150/Mesa with maxon OD 808, but been using amp sims lately with that same combo.

it plays great and sounds loud unplugged.

The builder and I thought to try an SD invader and it had that chugginess that I was looking for but it had no clarity at the top end. I think it has a weird mid range that I don’t love.

Here’s a clip with the invader:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bj7kz0w4tozshcm/RIST INV VS RIST MHD BLACK.m4a?dl=0

for reference my Jackson V with MHD pickups sounds more like what I’m after with a tighter Low end and nice clear highs under high gain:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymvy7it6woadnr2/V MHD Zebras No Fx.m4a?dl=0

I narrowed down my options a bit but thought I’d check with the fine folks here for opinions.

Sapele is like mahogany so I was thinking

SD Distortion
    SD black winter
    bare knuckle Nailbomb or aftermath.

Thoughts?

-John

2. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

You will be happy with any of those. That said, i love the Duncan Distortion in mahogany body Drop C tuned guitars, havnt found a better pickup for that setup.

decoy205 likes this.
  3. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks man.

With all that I’m reading it seems to be the general consensus that the Distortion works for this type of wood. It’s also on the cheaper side if things which is good.

I noticed last night it is a very punchy. The highs/high mids tend to very dominant on pick attack. Hope that the highs from the SH6 won’t accentuate that too much.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

if you want clarity, good chugs and general versatility it's hard to beat a custom 5. The slight scoop in the low mids and brighter upper mids tends to work well with warmer sounding guitars. I've used it as low as drop A and it held up better than the black winter in terms of clarity.

decoy205 and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  5. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the response. There’s a few more Duncan’s that made the short list that was one of them.

I’m still trying to figure out if I should go for a scooped pickup or one with a good mid response. I know I do not need lows because that will give me a boomy tone.

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

If you want mids without boomy lows, check out the Custom Custom as well. It is a great pickup that occupies a huge swath of sonic space.

decoy205 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I like the Custom and Custom 5, Alt 8 is worth a shot too

my mahogany guitar tuned to C standard has a C5 in it

decoy205 likes this.
  8. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks! I thinking one of these should work. I’ll probably have to try 1 or two before I settle hopefully narrowing it down will make it less of a hassle.

9. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

I dont think you will have that problem, the highs are one of the best parts about the pickup (and the deep lows, wiithout being flubby), very even and not shrill/ice picky like some other high gain pickups. If your in the USA you can pickup some of the Ducans for as little as $50, try a few and see what you liked.

10. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

Thanks. It’s definitely been the most recommended pickup so far. I think the sh6 and one of the alnico customs would be worth it to try.