What Made You A Musician?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Manurack, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Thanks for all the responses everyone! All cool stories! Whether you're a beginner, or Steve fucking Vai showing an interest in music, you're all musicians in my eyes.

I'm not sure if this link will work, I suck at singing and playing guitar at the same time because it's so hard.

But when I was going to a friend's house for a bonfire and drinks in downtown Castlegar in the summer of 2018, we walked through big metal culvert tunnel which had the most amazing natural reverb in there - my buddy had an acoustic guitar at his place, so we walked back to that tunnel just a couple minutes away.

He recorded me doing a very short cover of "Fade to Black" with me singing.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10160473296810174&id=655365173

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Pietjepieter likes this.
  2. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I was always into music. Started on piano when I was younger and a classical guitar. I found metal when I was 8 or 9 or so. Got hooked on it. Decided I couldn't be a proper metal musician without a good background first so did all that until I was 13/14, bought my first electric guitar. The biggest influence was Scotti Hill from Skid Row, he used to do this little intro solo to 18 And Life. Really Skid Row got me into metal and Scotti made me want to really play guitar well. Took lessons, dived deep into it, still here, still spinning Slave To The Grind fairly often. I just bought the Record Store Day release of it. It's a pretty good pressing but I still have the original record I bought way back in the day. I got it, but then saw my Mom's record player scratch the hell out of some other record she had so refused to play it. I don't think I've ever played the original copy. The cover is quite bashed and you can see the outline of the record. The rec itself looks fine though, now that I've packaged it properly.

After Skid Row, got into Guns N Roses, Nirvana, Sepultura, etc. I was one of the first in my metal peer group to get into bands like Emperor and The Black (who were later Dissection). I used to get a menu from Alice's Records in the UK and order based on how cool the name sounded. I must have spent a fortune with them haha. It's a shame Alice's is no more, but still have almost everything I bought from them. Still have Priest Of Satan, still have my first copies of Emperor's albums without the bonus tracks, a bunch of label sampler CDs that sparked yet more purchasing, etc. I was obsessed with metal.

My parents thought I would grow out of it... yeah... didn't happen.

Actually something else I remember... when the world wide web just started up, you used to be able to go on the Roadrunner Records site. There was a bit on there where if you put in your name and address, they'd send you a whole bunch of really good quality stickers in the post for various bands. That potentially explains why my guitars all had stickers on them too! I do miss that!

Manurack likes this.
  3. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Roadrunner has been around that long? Damn!

4. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Totally. Roadrunner predated (mass acceptance of) the www by a long time.

5. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

The first thing that comes to mind is this from Roadrunner United compilation album. The boys from Trivium shredding solos back then!

6. michael_bolton

michael_bolton SS.org Regular

Assuming I'll qualify as a "musician" lol - what got me into playing was actually some local-ish bands, no one on this board would probably recognize.

I was listening to 'tallica, slayer, manowar, death etc as a young teen but their skill level seemed so out of reach it didn't really register that "hey I can do this too". I couldn't afford a proper electric at the time too so that was a factor as well lol. Seeing less technically advanced bands I could emulate with some practice was what inspired me to play even if I wasn't that big of a fan of their music.

7. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Yngwie J. Malmsteen

No musicians in my family, but my father was a fan of Elvis and Baroque music
    Loads of Baroque music in my house when I was a kid, and I loved it
    Then I took piano lessons between 6-9 and failed
    I failed hard, couldn't gel with the teacher, but wasn't able to understand it
    Then discovered Iron Maiden at 8 years old but no interest in playing any instrument
    Then around 12-13 I listened to Yngwie...and the rest is various hours per day on the guitar

8. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Berlin. I was playing guitar in underground jazz clubs. On this night as with many others, Harambe entered quickly through a side door wearing a full military police uniform. The room froze and newcomers gasped. He whispered, "Swing Heil" and exited as quickly as he arrived. That was the signal he always gave to keep us safe throughout the Spring of 1943. Some say he was sent to the front; others say he deserted. Back then, I played to make a few bucks. Now, I play to keep his memory alive.

[​IMG]

9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I really can't phrase it any better than this!

10. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Lame troll response.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. ArtDecade

We had more fun when you were banned.

StevenC and NickS like this.
  12. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and the old Xbox I bought used which was loaded with albums from Korn, Guns N' Roses, and a bunch of other bands that I'd blast while playing Tony Hawk's Underground 1 and 2

13. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I was in several bands actually. I used to be in Metallica.

14. dspellman

dspellman SS.org Regular

I was five. My mother was learning piano and I could just stand up next to it. I started there, with lessons. At age 11 I was playing weddings on a pipe organ and receptions (solo) on a Hammond organ and piano (if they had one) at the local Legion halls. I played mostly classical music, didn't get into rock until college.

15. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Just mixed way down I assume?

ArtDecade likes this.
  16. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

Roadrunner United is now "back then"? Jeez I'm old.

I remember Roadrunner mainly from the CDs I had thinking how cool it would be to get my runt of a band on a label like that. Of course, never happened, doubt it ever will. They also had RoadRacer which had Carnivore, some of the older Deicide, Sepultura, etc. Apparently they used RoadRacer due to copyright problems with the Roadrunner cartoon character... go figure. I don't think I would have ever looked at Sepultura "Schizophrenia" and immediately thought "MEEP MEEP!"

That said, when we trademarked our band name, we had a German sports company object to all the classes because they thought people would be confused between us and a brand of their football which "sounded similar". After weighing up the costs of what it would be to go to tribunal, we ended up having to surrender part of our classification trademarks. I mean, if a big ol' German sports company thinks a small UK band is such a big threat that they're willing to throw cash at their potential destruction in their firm belief that people can' t tell the difference between a heavy metal band and a fucking actual football, the world is nothing but a bitter, angry place!

17. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

I always wanted to play guitar. If I had to say something specific Slash in November Rain was/is about as cool as it gets to me.

ArtDecade likes this.
  18. ArtDecade

PA for the win.

19. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

My sister really. I think her blaring Finch's "What it is to Burn" really set me off in the direction I went. It really made me feel something and it was the first song I learned on guitar with my teacher. While the lessons didn't last long, my love for guitar has. Guess I should thank my sister for picking me up from middle school all those years ago LOL

20. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular