What Made You A Musician?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Manurack, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I thought I'd start a thread on this topic.

My late father was a guitar player, he had a Yamaha FG-400a before he passed. I was just 4 years old when he died, but I do have some memories of him jamming on that $200 acoustic to 'House of the Rising Sun' by The Animals.

Around 7 years old, I started dinking around with that acoustic. I'd play on and off for a few years, learning some simple Green Day and Metallica. Around 12 years old, I started to get serious and played more. By 14 years old, I was playing full Metallica songs, by 16 I was playing full Lamb of God songs.

Nobody else in my family cared to play guitar, but I wanted to keep some kind of special talent from my father. I actually thought of taking my late father's Yamaha acoustic to British Columbia where I now reside, but I decided to leave it in the Canadian Arctic as an heirloom for my mother and my family.

I'm 31 now and my living room is my man cave with all of my guitars on the walls. The acoustic is actually a very close model to my late father's Yamaha FG-400a - it's a FG-345II with diamond inlays and it's an electric acoustic.

125943680_10164490806675174_896754556642822123_n (3).jpg

2. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Music made me feel things I wanted more of. It created that feeling of saudade and for someone with depression among other things, it was a way to dive into those feelings and escape for a while. I then became interested in figuring out how to make sounds that would trigger those feelings and emotions. I didn't care so much about theory or perfecting an instrument. I just wanted to make the sounds and feelings that were in my head.

I'm kinda still that way. I barely consider myself a musician. I am in the sense that I make music but I kinda feel like I do it for different reasons. Ah well.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I'm actually the only amateur musician in my immediate family circle... meaning they're all professionals. Father played the viola, mother was an opera soprano. Guess it's in the blood. The reason I'm not a professional is probably tied to me wanting to do something else than my parent's job, I otherwise got all the ingredients to a good start: violin at 3, reading music lessons at 5, etc. I had to wait until I was 15-16 to be interested in music, before that I probably unconsciously rejected music as the thing that stole my parents from me, father leaving for shows at the hour I came back from school and coming back long after I was in bed, that kind of thing.

4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I feel like calling myself a musician is stretch, more like semi skilled machine operator.

5. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

I hope my kids feel the same and want to pursue music the same way they saw me do it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Ordacleaphobia and Manurack like this.
  6. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I have a 9 year old daughter, that stratocaster copy in my picture is an Epiphone, that I initially bought for her when she was 4. But I'm not going to be one of those asshole parents that forces their children into music lessons.

My kid has two guitars actually, that Epiphone Strat copy and a Cort classical guitar - not pictured. If she wants to play guitar when she's older? That will be cool. But if she doesn't want to pursue the guitar? I have more guitars in my collection!

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

In reflection, it's all a huge cliche: teenager in evangelical household is exposed to secular rock music, lightbulb goes on, wants in.

fabronaut and budda like this.
  8. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

My uncle got married when i was 5 or 6 - the wedding band let me wail on their drums (apparently there's photos). I would later beg for drums, get denied, borrow a friends guitar, take 3 lessons with a rental guitar on summer vacation, and get my first guitar at age 11. I dont know what made me want to do it, but I've mostly enjoyed doing it for 22 years as of this month. Still no drums though...

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Music is fun.

My dad was a musician. Actually, pretty much everyone on that side of the family does music. My great^n grandfather was a famous composer, so maybe it's genetic for us. The desire, that is, because my musical career success has been mostly shyte.

10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Chicks, and it looks cool.

for real though, it’s just fun as hell, and challenging.

11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

The love for the music. Buying tapes/C.D.'s/band shirts, reading about my favorite bands in magazines, talking about music with my friends, watching music videos on MTV and going to concerts wasn't enough for me. I wanted to get a guitar and play the songs of my favorite bands. My parents bought me a guitar in 1993 and the rest is history.

12. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Growing up in the 90's, it was pretty much this guy..

[​IMG]

13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

A bootleg of KISS playing Cobo Hall, January 76 during the Alive! Tour.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

I talked about this in another thread but my dad plays flamenco/classical guitar and loves guitar based music, so I grew up listening to a ton of Paco DeLucia, Christopher Parkening, John Williams, Andres Segovia and others.
    My whole family is pretty musical too, so that made a huge impact on me. Nearly everyone on my dad's side plays at least one instrument and sings too.

In terms of wanting to play heavier stuff, it started with Iron Maiden.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  15. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    For me my earliest desire to play was hearing Queen & Van Halen on the radio but my parents couldn't afford to buy me a guitar so the desire went away until my mid teens where I found the grunge/alt-rock scene quite late but also discovered thrash/groove metal too.
    What's kept me going since then is that I just love being on the trail of reading about/buying new music and whenever an artist I like talks about someone I'm not familiar with I'll check them out which often leads me into other artists/styles too so I'm always busy.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  16. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Pretttttty much my experience as well.

sirbuh likes this.
  17. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

From the moment I was a small child I knew I didnt want to go 5 minutes without listening to music

then this happened and I didnt want to go five more minutes without making music

upload_2021-9-18_9-4-46.jpeg

18. slimefuzz

slimefuzz musical person

Loved listening since i was little kid, then teens i would hear additional guitar parts in my head even though i hadn't started playing yet.
    still an amateur exploratory player, never been in a "band" , but played with friends and some jams

19. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Musician might be a bit of a stretch! Haha but the answer is dead simple. My mate giving me a tape copy of Van Halen's debut and Blizzard of Ozz. Listened to both that night after school. Changed life forever

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  20. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian Contributor

Unironically Rock Band 2. Had zero interest before. Actually even had zero interest in playing the game, I got sucked into it.

Masoo2 likes this.