What kind of (electric) guitar strings do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by vilk, Aug 3, 2021.

What kind of strings? (Material, not brand)

1. Normal/Nickel

46 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. NYXL/"extra strong"

19 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Elixer/"coated"

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Cobalt

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I have been using Daddario since the late 90s, tried everything else along the way but they are the best. NYXL has been my go to for the last several years and they last 2-3 times as long for me so I find them worth the money.

BMFan30, r33per and Matt08642 like this.
  2. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Huge fan of Elixir Polyweb strings. I’ve tried them all, but keep going back to Elixir.

3. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

I wipe down the strings almost always when I’m finished playing or think I’m not going to return for a bit. Have a microfiber cloth in each case/bag. Started when I would wipe down the back of painted necks and I just added the strings too.

BMFan30 and Emperoff like this.
  4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Elixir Nanoweb. Been meaning to try Optiwebs but haven't gotten around to it. Bottom line is they sound and feel great and last a really long time. I've tried just about everything else and always end up back at Elixirs.

5. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Elixirs in standard, NYXL in drop-c because Elixir doesn't make the gauge I want anymore

BMFan30 likes this.
  6. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Buy bulk, it saves money!

BMFan30 likes this.
  7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I have some kind of acid sweat and trash strings fast. For me the more expensive options do last a bit longer , but not enough to justify the extra cost.

I just stick to regular d’addrios generally.

I try to wipe down my strings after each play and it def helps allot

BMFan30 likes this.
  8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I just use the basic XL's. I have like 13 or 14 guitars, so I can't afford the fancy strings, lol! I tend to leave them on for about a year. I don't have any issues with corrosion, and the only thing I tend to notice is they feel stiffer after awhile and harder to play. I haven't broke a string in years.

I have been trying some other things lately because I am always looking for more slinky, and I have been trying more weird in-between gauges. I tried some GHS Boomers, but they actually pulled my Floyd up a small bit, so I think they have more tension. I tried some balanced tension, but not loving them. I have some other weird sizes coming up also, in 9 months or whenever I change strings again, lol. Sucks Daddario don't make a 10-48 set. I keep thinking about trying EB again, but have always noticed they seem to corrode faster.

9. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

I use NYXLs for my trem RG, and String Source for my hardtail 7. None of the 7 string sets I can find are balanced enough, so it's nice picking my own gauges. The String Source and NYXLs are comparable I strength and sound, imo. I always wipe down after playing and they both last me around 2 to 3 months

BMFan30 likes this.
  10. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Whatever is the cheapest. To me a set og brand new, cheap strings will always sound better than worn, expensive strings. And with cheaper strings, I can make string changes more often without breaking the bank.

11. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

This is pretty much exactly my experience.

I remember when I started on electric my tutor saying to get the Ernie Ball extra slinky sets, but the top E kept breaking. Tried D'Addario XL 9-42s and have pretty much stuck with them until the NYXLs came out.

Looking back, that string break could have been anything, but I was 12 and didn't know any better...

Matt08642 and SpaceDock like this.
  12. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

I tried a cobalt set on a JP7 years ago. Too dark for my taste.

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I've been using D'Addario XL's the last 10 years or so. I always put whatever came my way but the D'Addarios seem to be brighter and I enjoy their sound. They also last quite a bit and sound good for a long period of time but I only play at home. As I have several guitars and I tend to restring them once a year to do basic maintenance, D'Addarios are cheap to buy in bulk! I do feel though that for low tunings with thicker strings they tend to flub out quite a bit. So it's either good tension or good tone for anything below C.

I was using Elixirs with my Carvin but at some point I couldn't find them and put a set of D'Addarios and liked the tone more plus they're cheaper. I did try a Stringjoy set for a 7 string I was tuning at Drop A and they were a significant improvement over D'Addarios in terms of clarity on low tunings. But they're about double the price of D'Addarios and difficult to get in the UK. The only shop I found that carries them is Andertons that has limited sets. Otherwise I have to order from their site in the US which will make them even more expensive.

14. Nik_Left_RG

Nik_Left_RG SS.org Regular

Ernie Ball Slinkys and NYXLs work better in this part of the world. Regular D'Addarios rust too fast.

Also , I use a Dunlop String Cleaner. Wipe before playing and wipe after. My strings last for about 3-4 months..

BMFan30 likes this.
  15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Wow EB last a week for me typically, two at most. It's why I stopped using them.

16. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain

I’m an overweight guy of distant Irish descent, grew up and live in warmer parts of the US. I fried a set of slinky’s, regular D’addarios, GHS boomers each in about three weeks of little play time before I finally tried some more “premium” varieties. Kalium, Dunlop Heavy Cores, and EB Paradigms won for longevity with the two former being tied for second place. I haven’t tried optiwebs, I want to try stringjoy as well.

BMFan30 likes this.
  17. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Same. I was using EB slinkys a lot at one point but was always breaking them. 2 occasions just happened to be in very important shows. I tried cobalts when I did my last US tour years ago. They fared better but then started changing them every 4th show just so I know I won't break them. Plus I hated how Cobalts felt new.

18. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

GHS Boomers .11-.50
    Covers all the bases i need.
    If i want to get low and on a string thru body, i'll go with the .10-.60 sets.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I use regular D'Addarios for electric guitar. I'm more apt to try coated strings on acoustic. I've lately been trying DR's on bass.

Why regular boring old cheap strings? Well, I tried fancy strings several times and just never liked them on electric guitar. :shrug: At least not enough to justify the extra cost (where applicable). Last time I tried coated electric guitar strings, I had the same problem as the first time I tried them- the coating fell off and made a big mess. For some reason unknown to me, I've never had that happen with acoustic guitar strings. Maybe I don't play acoustic enough? IDK

20. Soya

Soya Poor person

I generally use string joy when I'm picky about gauges, then NYXL for 10-52 sets since they seem to last a little longer.