What kind of death metal do you miss nowdays?

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I miss interesting songs. Not just long-ass verses and boring sections. Give me catchy riffs (not melodic), interesting mid sections (not just half time or beatdowns), songs with all the fat trimmed out.
Basically I just need to listen to the first 3 Decapitated albums again.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Have you guys heard of this band called Vital Remains? Icons of Evil is very decent. Miss that sound.

Belphegor sounds really good with Totenritual. And so does Blood Red Throne.

But i miss how Vital Remains, Deicide and Decapitated sounded around 2007/8.

In Sorte Diaboli was released around that time too. The Chosen Legacy is a fantastic track. Not to mention Obzen was also released around then.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you guys heard of this band called Vital Remains? Icons of Evil is very decent. Miss that sound.

Yes. I was listening to their first album, Let us pray (1992) a few days ago on cassette tape. I bought it wayyy back in the day and listen to it from time to time. I do like the production they have on that album. Unfortunately, the only 2 albums that I don't own from them is Forever underground (1997) and Icons of evil so I don't know how it sounds, though, I suppose I could just listen to it on Youtube.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
The drummer in my band has another band that sounds great, their debut is coming next year.
That Ageless Summoning demo is great, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a full-length.
If I'm reading correctly and your drummer is the drummer for both bands then he did some session drums for old black metal stuff of mine a few years ago.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe I live in a cave, but any example? I'm interested...

Check out those two. The first track on that new Replicant album has the vibe. Same with some of the BI tracks. It's not the same by any means. Morbid Angel are unique for a reason but a lot of the influence carries on in those bands IMO and the recordings have that rawness that other modern death records lack.

Mwoit

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That Ageless Summoning demo is great, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a full-length.
If I'm reading correctly and your drummer is the drummer for both bands then he did some session drums for old black metal stuff of mine a few years ago.

Hamish? He's done a million bands so it's possible!

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes. I was listening to their first album, Let us pray (1992) a few days ago on cassette tape. I bought it wayyy back in the day and listen to it from time to time. I do like the production they have on that album. Unfortunately, the only 2 albums that I don't own from them is Forever underground (1997) and Icons of evil so I don't know how it sounds, though, I suppose I could just listen to it on Youtube.

It's been forever since I've listened to the earlier Vital Remains albums. The Dave Suzuki/Glen Benton era is what made them one of my favorite bands, but I'm gonna have go back and listen to the older ones today. Dechristinaize is one of my all-time top 10 albums in any genre.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dechristinaize is one of my all-time top 10 albums in any genre.

Did you ever look at the lyrics in the C.D. booklet for Dechristinaize? That was a lot of freaking lyrics!!! It was like reading a book. LOL. I give Glen Benton huge props for being able to remember all of that.

evade

enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss when death metal bands didn't have Instagram, Facebook, Youtube pages with generic graphic designers putting together the same recycled templates to constantly promote their merch and tours.

For example, Pre-social media, Suffocation had such a majestic, honorable aura around them... nowadays, the way they present themselves online can be cringey.

Bands trying too hard online really killed a lot of my passion for the genre.
yea thats something i resonate with