What kind of death metal do you miss nowdays?

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It does fascinate me how so many people think death metal is dead when we've been in a death metal renaissance for the better part of a decade now.
Fuck Yeah!
9263.jpg

There have been plenty of new death metal bands still holding up the old shcool sound and great death-thrash as well.

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It does fascinate me how so many people think death metal is dead when we've been in a death metal renaissance for the better part of a decade now.

True. No matter what flavor of DM you're after, chances are you can find several active bands putting out amazing stuff. It really urionically is such a diverse "genre", especially in modern times.

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In all fairness, there's not a lot to "miss." Bands today are still copying records from the 90s, just like bands were ripping off other bands in the 90s, and theres plenty of good shit in the more "unique" camps of bands and the ripoff bands. Something for everybody. I just miss Human Remains and Demilich. Those guys were really and truly something different and for me, nobody really captures the unhinged yet playful unease of those two specific groups.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually miss punkish death metal, maybe there's just lots of highly technical stuff out there now since the advent of youtube and computer composition aids. Seems like everything is about astral bullshit, but like if you never finished high school cause all you did was stay home playing an instrument (guilty in that specific regard). I liked The Red Chord a lot, or I should say they typify what I am talking about if- and if not my favorite in such a regard I highly enjoy them. There are/were a few newer bands out there that kind of capture the same societal attitude with a heavy delivery, off the top of my head Cult Leader, Gaza, and Coilguns being good examples. Some might not consider that death metal in the traditional sense, maybe I don't either but there has to be life after Dying Fetus, Necrophagist, and Cephalic Carnage. For a while there everything was either demonic horror type of death metal or beta-core love songs, the former being basically a joke and the latter being droll beyond my hormonal years.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
call me a crotchety old fuck but I haven't heard anything interesting from a DM band since I showed up late to the game and downloaded Slaughter of the Soul and The Sound of Perseverance in 2012
clearly you never looked hard
Could I interest you in some Temple of Void?

Hooded Menace is another good choice for deathdoom.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In the end, I think for myself, I still draw a line between "missing something" and "wanting it back". Sometimes I like bands just because they remind me of what I liked in my nostalgia years, but those bands wear quickly on me, usually 'cuz the classic band they sound like does it so much better, it invites comparison.

I do really like a lot of new stuff, all the more for having adapted and brought something a little different to the table. That doesn't mean I won't still get a nostalgic tear in my eye whilst reciting the passages of Dead By Dawn.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I miss more instrumental albums from Inferi. I know growls are the core of death metal, but man their guitarwork is soooo good that it pisses me off that someone is growling over it :lol:

Sit back and enjoy:

Last edited:

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score

Disincarnate and Lykathea Aflame. Holy shit man those are some awesome albums and so damned niche. I'm ready to have your babies for having mentioned them.

For better or for worse, bands have all strayed away from what made death metal what it is (raunchy recording quality, and more about the energy). Bands now days are going down the tech rabbit hole to the max, and while I like that stuff, it's hard to beat albums like Elvenfris and Parallels of Infinite Torture. The energy and atmosphere is just so damned powerful.

Here's a few I think are pretty iconic but impossible to really replicate.

Nocturnus_the_key.jpg Nocturnus_thresholds.jpg time begins.jpg intbaal.jpg ANATA-TCD.jpg R-4868143-1377967818-7287.jpeg.jpg UnleashtheCarnivore.jpg 71Fh5-1vnoL._SL1500_.jpg decap.jpg myfruitpschobells.jpg

Most of these albums are pretty original for their time but admittedly Devourment isn't quite an uncommon sound to replicate now days, but they were at least at the forefront of that type of slam so to speak. Spawn of Possession as well. As someone else once said, they're probably the techiest band to ever tech, but at least it had an original sound at the time, and for as many bands that try, I don't think any actually sound like them.

Anyways, these clips are some standouts that are super original I think

There are a few bands who at least try to replicate the old school sound, and actually do it pretty well to a degree, but some of it feels too forced to me. I'll post some of those later just to keep this post a little shorter.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Disincarnate and Lykathea Aflame. Holy shit man those are some awesome albums and so damned niche. I'm ready to have your babies for having mentioned them.

For better or for worse, bands have all strayed away from what made death metal what it is (raunchy recording quality, and more about the energy). Bands now days are going down the tech rabbit hole to the max, and while I like that stuff, it's hard to beat albums like Elvenfris and Parallels of Infinite Torture. The energy and atmosphere is just so damned powerful.

Here's a few I think are pretty iconic but impossible to really replicate.

View attachment 101005 View attachment 101006 View attachment 101007 View attachment 101008 View attachment 101009 View attachment 101010 View attachment 101011 View attachment 101012 View attachment 101013 View attachment 101014

Most of these albums are pretty original for their time but admittedly Devourment isn't quite an uncommon sound to replicate now days, but they were at least at the forefront of that type of slam so to speak. Spawn of Possession as well. As someone else once said, they're probably the techiest band to ever tech, but at least it had an original sound at the time, and for as many bands that try, I don't think any actually sound like them.

Anyways, these clips are some standouts that are super original I think

There are a few bands who at least try to replicate the old school sound, and actually do it pretty well to a degree, but some of it feels too forced to me. I'll post some of those later just to keep this post a little shorter.

Wow. I wonder what happened to Anata. I bought this record at Wacken early 2000s. I think a song must have been on a sample CD from the festival or maybe I just liked the cover. It was an awesome album. Will have to spin it again. Miss that band.

I think death has gone in many directions. I agree the faster tech branch seems to be what catches people's attention nowadays. Or eat gets more promotio on forums and such. I have to admit I haven't really kept up with the genre outside of the classics but I've been loving Blood Incantation and thanks to the 2021 best album thread just discovered Replicant... it seems like there's a good bunch of dark and raw bands doing the Morbid Angel influence out there.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it seems like there's a good bunch of dark and raw bands doing the Morbid Angel influence out there.

Maybe I live in a cave, but any example? I'm interested...

A lot of Obscura fans felt the Morbid angel: Where the slime live vibe from these 2 songs. Their ex-drummer, Hannes Grossman, has even stated that Morbid angel is a influence in some of their songs.

Ocean gateways from their 3rd album Omnivium.

Devoured usurper from their 6th album, A valediction.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't usually care much for the tribute style thing. When I want to listen to Morbid Angel there's plenty of material out there by them for me to go through. Yes, I get wanting more of that sound, and I do enjoy some of the subtle nods to it by bands like Obscura, but at large none of it ever satisfies me as much as just putting on Gateways to Annihilation or something instead.

Morbid Angel is just one of those bands that's so unique that when someone else tries to do it I don't think it sounds as good. Plenty of bands mix in that influence and I love it, but the ones where you can tell they're using the MA sound as a single blueprint is kinda lame.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Morbid Angel is just one of those bands that's so unique that when someone else tries to do it I don't think it sounds as good.

I agree 100% There is one thing that I have not heard (yet) other death metal bands have tried to emulate from Morbid angel and that is Trey Azagthoth's chaotic guitar solo style. He makes a lot of weird noises using his tremolo bar and IMHO, that is another key signature in Morbid angels unique sound.

Akkush

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree 100% There is one thing that I have not heard (yet) other death metal bands have tried to emulate from Morbid angel and that is Trey Azagthoth's chaotic guitar solo style. He makes a lot of weird noises using his tremolo bar and IMHO, that is another key signature in Morbid angels unique sound.

Playing with the tremolo and wah pedal aren't cool nowdays sadlly. And also, lots and lots of effects...
But also his riff style is so unique. He almost never chugs on the low string, or do this boring rhytmic thing.
The notes he plays are soo random, but other DM guy's tremolo picking riffs doesn't have the same vibe.

But it's not a big suprise:
1, he's an old guy, inspired by NON death metal bands
2, In an old interview, he mentions that he smokes and/or drinks when writing songs
3, Has Asperger's syndrome, that's why he's a weirdo :lol:

Good luck imitate this kids!

It's kinda sad that the band is dead, Trey is going downhill, we're probably never gone get a new album from them...