What kind of death metal do you miss nowdays?

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like almost all the flavors of metal, but melodic death metal is my fucking jam.

Yeah who the fuck sounds like Clayman era in flames any more? No one gets as heavy or as emotional and no one has great midtempo melodic leads. Only for the Weak is my favorite song because it has the duality of a crushing riff and the hard hitting lyrics/quiet vocals WHILE NOT GETTING CLEAN OR WHINY

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There’s a gazillion hardcore bands with that sound nowadays, but if you’re after DM, Entrails absolutely nails that sound. The Tomb Awaits is an absolute banger of an album.
How on earth did I forget about Entrails?! I mean, I'm pretty sure they literally got their start as an Entombed tribute band!!

Strobe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah who the fuck sounds like Clayman era in flames any more? No one gets as heavy or as emotional and no one has great midtempo melodic leads. Only for the Weak is my favorite song because it has the duality of a crushing riff and the hard hitting lyrics/quiet vocals WHILE NOT GETTING CLEAN OR WHINY

It's not really melodic death metal, but Darkest Hour kind of scratches this itch for me. They're more uptempo - maybe a little metalcore, but damn if they can't write a catchy song or play the fuck out of their instruments. They are super melodic! Here's them live on lockdown.

I do miss me some old In Flames though. I do not like that so much clean metal vocals sounds like the cringiest, whiniest of emo tracks these days. I love dynamic changes in my music - it gets boring if it's at the same level for an entire song or even album. I also want my metal to be able to get stuck in my head. I want melodies with my brutal!

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
im honestly content with the ever changing landscape of extreme metal. every era put out those bangers that remain with us. each generation provides us with something new and fresh. i don't really need new bands to come out and try to give me something that was already done masterfully.

Rosal76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I don't think so. I believe that is Jason Morgan who played on Monstrosity's Millennium album from 1996. Jason Morgan's guitar work on Millennium is amazing! He took that album to a new level of musicianship. There's a Youtube video of him in the studio trying to nail down the beginning riff to the song, Dream messiah (from Millennium) that is cool to watch. He was having a hard time because the riff was so hard for him to play. Mad respect! I wish Jason Morgan recorded a second album with Monstrosity with the Millennium style/vibe.

Viginez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think so. I believe that is Jason Morgan who played on Monstrosity's Millennium album from 1996. Jason Morgan's guitar work on Millennium is amazing! He took that album to a new level of musicianship. There's a Youtube video of him in the studio trying to nail down the beginning riff to the song, Dream messiah (from Millennium) that is cool to watch. He was having a hard time because the riff was so hard for him to play. Mad respect! I wish Jason Morgan recorded a second album with Monstrosity with the Millennium style/vibe.
him and pat

Dumple Stilzkin

I like the girls with the pumps and a bump.
Reaction score
I hate how modern metal has embraced perfect sounding and played recordings. It makes newer music seem sterile and lifeless. Like all the aggression is gone.

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Music, or death metal, that could be technical and progressive, but not overproduced or inhuman.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Old Opeth... man.. what the FUCK

While I think the new record is the best one in recent years, this. I've been jamming Still Life and a lot lately and the songwriting is still so, so fucking good. RIP Mikael's growls

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's not really melodic death metal, but Darkest Hour kind of scratches this itch for me. They're more uptempo - maybe a little metalcore, but damn if they can't write a catchy song or play the fuck out of their instruments. They are super melodic! Here's them live on lockdown.

I do miss me some old In Flames though. I do not like that so much clean metal vocals sounds like the cringiest, whiniest of emo tracks these days. I love dynamic changes in my music - it gets boring if it's at the same level for an entire song or even album. I also want my metal to be able to get stuck in my head. I want melodies with my brutal!

Darkest Hour was my JAM in hs. Hidden hands was such a fun song. And then the next two albums were just *chefs kiss*

Whole lotta peaking in highschool in here

Depending on age, absolutely. “Still Liking metalcore” in 2021 is admitting you were a teenager in the mid-00’s.

Man I miss Melodeath. Anytime someone comes close I buy whatever they put out. Give. Me. Catchy. Choruses. Lol.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
call me a crotchety old fuck but I haven't heard anything interesting from a DM band since I showed up late to the game and downloaded Slaughter of the Soul and The Sound of Perseverance in 2012

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lots of old men yelling at cloud here. I personally dislike the modern metalcore and djent/neo soul thing but its just a natural progression. If you like old stuffs, just listening to old stuffs. Metal needs more bands that are pushing boundary, exploring new sounds and feels instead of smelling their predecessor's fart in the name of "paying homage".