What kind of death metal do you miss nowdays?

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bolt Thrower. They just sound/sounded like them. I've never found a band that i can associate with them.

More stuff like old Obituary or Morta Skuld would be good.
I miss 90's over-the-top guitar tones mainly. Metal is supposed to be fucking crazy. I'm fed up with with "sensible" guitar tones, recorded too clinically. Bolt Thrower basically sounded like a nuclear explosion going off on my favourite albums of theirs.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Old Decapitated— nobody does that anymore, even Decapitated.

Winds and Nihility — damn.

Cannibal Corpse released their best record this year, so there’s that. Nobody really does that sound anymore besides them.

I’m unable to listen to tech-death. Can’t stand the production and there’s no balls to the riffs— just endless fast wankery polished to a high sheen.

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
Old Decapitated— nobody does that anymore, even Decapitated.

Winds and Nihility — damn.

Cannibal Corpse released their best record this year, so there’s that. Nobody really does that sound anymore besides them.

I’m unable to listen to tech-death. Can’t stand the production and there’s no balls to the riffs— just endless fast wankery polished to a high sheen.

Unfortunate but true

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Reaction score
Double Amott Arch Enemy. I don't care which vocalist they have, all of their weakest releases are without Chris in the band

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Bolt Thrower. They just sound/sounded like them. I've never found a band that i can associate with them.

There are some pretty good new "Bolt Thrower worship" bands. Frozen Soul is absolutely killer.

If you want stronger Warhammer vibes, Chainsword from Poland is great.

Bear Mace is also great, and probably sounds most like "Those Once Loyal" era.

And you can't forget about Karl's new band Memoriam. There first two albums were pretty good, but 'To The End' is finally a worthy successor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDKHYj-UFY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qpxQ4QPwxE

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are some pretty good new "Bolt Thrower worship" bands. Frozen Soul is absolutely killer.

If you want stronger Warhammer vibes, Chainsword from Poland is great.

Bear Mace is also great, and probably sounds most like "Those Once Loyal" era.

And you can't forget about Karl's new band Memoriam. There first two albums were pretty good, but 'To The End' is finally a worthy successor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDKHYj-UFY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qpxQ4QPwxE

Cheers. Will see if they grab me.

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wish Peter Tagtgren sang how he did on The Arrival more often with that higher pitched raspy tone. Hypocrisy has always been great, but the vocals on that album were really special compared to a lot of the Gothenburg DM that I was into prior to hearing Hypocrisy. I think Worship has like two parts on the whole album where he uses that part of his range.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I miss when death metal bands didn't have Instagram, Facebook, Youtube pages with generic graphic designers putting together the same recycled templates to constantly promote their merch and tours.

For example, Pre-social media, Suffocation had such a majestic, honorable aura around them... nowadays, the way they present themselves online can be cringey.

Bands trying too hard online really killed a lot of my passion for the genre.

iamaom

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bands trying too hard online really killed a lot of my passion for the genre.
It also makes it harder for newer bands without a professional marketer trying to "make it". A lot of older death metal sounded like dudes in their garage having a blast and it just caught on, the first few Cannibal Corpse albums were peak "we wrote this album in 2 weeks while drunk listen if you want". Newer stuff is feels like an industry, and everyone feels it. Really hard to find a few dudes who just wanna have fun, everyone in my area requires professional equipment + money + time + a music degree. Every album art and band name has to be algorithm friendly, every po-dunk bar requires some insane portfolio, fanbase, and record deal to even get your foot in the door. Even "low-fi" death metal like Blood Incantation is an aesthetic veneer crafted by professionals rather than actually low budget with dedicated amateur musicians.

Pat

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think there's plenty of great death metal out there, but what I miss most is the production and guitar tones. So much nowadays is quanitzed, mid-heavy, with clicky bass drums and perfect production.

I much prefer the old, more organic guitar tones and drum sounds. Worm and Blood Incantation are two that come to mind that lean more heavily on the old-school style of production.

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I still maintain that Immortal Fate album is, pound for pound, the "heaviest" DM record ever made. Makes Onward to Golgotha sound like Journey.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Far from an expert on the genre but I love old and new. Death doom is my new favorite style and you didn't really see that much before unless I'm mistaken.

Things evolve over time. People will always claim it used to better. Maybe they are right. Some bands are still trying to cop those old bands style, some are doing their own stuff.

Blood incantation, worm and mortiferum are my current favorites but there are lots more killing it too. I listen to Death and old Suffocation a lot too.

zappatton2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One band that always had a distinctive sound to me was "Left Hand Path/Clandestine" era Entombed. I'd be curious to find modern DM acts that capture that guitar tone.

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One band that always had a distinctive sound to me was "Left Hand Path/Clandestine" era Entombed. I'd be curious to find modern DM acts that capture that guitar tone.
There’s a gazillion hardcore bands with that sound nowadays, but if you’re after DM, Entrails absolutely nails that sound. The Tomb Awaits is an absolute banger of an album.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
There’s a gazillion hardcore bands with that sound nowadays, but if you’re after DM, Entrails absolutely nails that sound. The Tomb Awaits is an absolute banger of an album.

Seconded on Entrails. Gatecreeper is the biggest Entombed/Dismember influenced band out there right now (for good reason).