What is your origin story as a guitarist?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by scratchNdentPrestige, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I was bit by a radioactive hollowbody.

cip 123, Edika, narad and 1 other person like this.
  2. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

I was raised by feral guitars.

Edika likes this.
  3. narad

narad Owned a Zune

I took one of those "What type of musician are you?" online quizzes and it told me I was a guitarist.

StevenC, The906, Edika and 2 others like this.
  4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

What was the first guitar oriented band you ever listed to?

I think it was The Beatles.

What guitarists inspired you to get a guitar?

John Lennon.

What was your first guitar?

First ever guitar was one of those shitty First Act guitars you'd buy at like Toys R Us or Target, I eventually broke that guitar thinking I was Jimi Hendrix when I was like 7. I also got my uncle's guitars after he died which were an '84 or '85 Strat, '66 Tele, and a Global from the 70s. But my first real guitar that wasn't a hand me down or cheap was a Yamaha FG700S.

First guitar focused concert you went to?

Dream Theater.

First extreme metal band(s) you were into?

Metallica.

scratchNdentPrestige likes this.
  5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Metallica

James Hetfield

(ignoring cheap mini strat clone)
    ESP LTD Viper-50

Animals As Leaders + Conquering Dystopia + CHON(?) + Images

Immortal/Enslaved (idk how I stumbled upon black metal), Amon Amarth, Korn, Black Veil Brides/5FDP (sounded so much heavier to me than all the 80s/90s metal I'd heard before, guess that's why I prefer music rooted in hardcore than "true" metal most of the time), and then Periphery from watching a Rock Band 100% FC video

6. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Probably Metallica. I heard them and Pantera when I was 11 or 12 and thought it was so cool. I had never heard that duel-rhythm guitar playing like those bands did, and was floored by it. Immediately after that I knew guitar was, in one way or another, going to be a serious interest of mine from then on. Which leads me to answer the next question:

Hetfield and Dime. I didn't care about guitar solos or lead playing (and mostly still don't) and was solely focused on that aggressive, intensive faced paced playing style they had and was obsessed with the riffs, and really just wanted to make things like those.

A 50 year old beat up classical guitar that belonged to my late aunt. Apparently she was in the convent and "dropped out" or "quit" or whatever after a year and immediately bought that guitar and started learning. It was kept it in the family all those years and somehow I ended up with it. It was borderline unplayable, but I started getting into chords and figuring out melodies on it. She passed away when I was 4 or 5, but I always liked the memories I had of her and it felt good to use that guitar to start learning. First electric after that was an ibanex GIO AX starter pack which sucked butts but was at least an electric. Hated that thing though.

I guess technically Simon and Garfunkel when i was 13? They had guitar in their music...that was a good concert though! First metal show I went to though was Slayer in 8th grade, and then Ozzfest a year after that. I didn't really know anything about going to a live show prior to that, so I was really awe-struck. It was amazing.

Definitely Carcass and Cannibal Corpse when I was about 15 and then Exodus when I was 16. I remember I was really at a wall with guitar and kind of uninspired by everything at the moment, but those bands re-ignited the flame very, very fast. Then when I was 18 and discovered Meshuggah it happened all over again. Those 4 were big ones.

7. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Ooo, I like this one!! Here's my "brief" response (I'll try not to wax too old-man nostalgic)

1. What was the first guitar oriented band you ever listed to?
    G'N'R'

2. What guitarists inspired you to get a guitar?
    Slash. Always Slash

3. What was your first guitar?
    Samick somethin' or other, I can't really remember, it was stolen before I knew much about guitars.

4. First guitar focused concert you went to?
    I'm gonna say Floyd '94, but I know I've been to shows earlier, memory is just a bit jumbled.

5. First extreme metal band(s) you were into?
    Extreme is a touch subjective, the first time I heard ...And Justice, I thought that was as heavy as anything could get (I was young at the time). But I would say Hell Awaits was my pivotal moment. A kid of my parent's friends came over with that tape, I copied the first side but thought it was too extreme, and I didn't bother with the second side (I grew up Catholic and that shit still had pull when I was 15). It was weird, I couldn't stop going back to it, it was just SOOOOO extreme (again, at the time), and eventually I just gave in and it became my go-to tape. Changed pretty much everything for me.

8. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I grew up on the Beatles, Zep, Hendrix and the who. Those were my nursery rhymes :)

Page, Hendrix

It was a white profile guitar. I still have it to this day (although it’s a show pc as it’s unplayable)

ZZ top. I still remember it to this day

Pantera! Saw the video for mouth for war on the power hr wayyyyy back in the day and my jaw hit the ground

9. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Van Halen might have been the first that grabbed me, but I loved all the stuff I could get on or off the radio in the 80s. Hair metal grabbed me, thrash metal stuck. Metallica and Anthrax were the big winners, Ministry once they got more guitar oriented.

Hetfield. Solid shout out for Scott Ian and Al Jourgensen.

Squier HSS strat. First good guitar: Gibson SG.

Metallica, when I was 10.

Went from metal and thrash to punk and grind before winding up at death metal. Finding Napalm Death's Scum and Brutal Truth's Extreme Conditions in a budget cassette bin felt like destiny. I was maybe 15 then?

10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

First guitar oriented band I got into was probably Nirvana when I was 12 or 13. After that I got really into Weezer, green day, and blink 182, and that's the material I started learning when I first picked up the guitar.

Guitarists for the aforementioned bands. Rivers, Billy Joe, Tom, Kurt, etc.

My first guitar was a late 90's mim fender strat that my dad got at the local pawn shop. I'd always wanted to be a drummer (as I would obsessively drum on whatever I could find when I was a kid) but drums "are too expensive and can't be unplugged" so I got a guitar for x-mas that year instead.

Apart from local hardcore/punk/metal shows, my first real big rock concert was probably Motley Crue, sixx am, Papa roach, buck cherry (at the height of crazy bitch fame), and Trapt. It was when Crue was touring to support saints of Los Angeles. Unless you wanna count the bluegrass gigs my parents would take me to when I was younger (went to the Grand ole opry 3 times before I was 16). I didn't appreciate it back then, but now I realize just how great bluegrass pickers are

The first band I ever got into with harsh vocals (besides locals) was probably Silverstein, but the first real metal bands I really felt a connection to were The Black Dahlia Murder, dying fetus, and (old) iwrestledabearonce.

Speaking of, it was exactly 12 years ago today that I got my first guitar and taught myself how to (inaccurately) play Glycerine by Bush off of UG tabs within a few hours of having it lol.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  11. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

My sister was into Linkin Park, while I was into hip hop. She made me mad, so I decided to take her Linkin Park CD and that was when I made the transition to rock music.

While in my dorm room when I was stationed in England, I was listening to the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack, and the Nightmare's Beginning (Vincent Theme) came on, and I just had to learn it...but I didn't have a guitar lol. That was what sparked it all. I was 19, so I had a very late start, and much ground to make up.

My first guitar was a Yamaha strat that I bought for $90, then that was followed by a cheap acoustin and then an Sun(something) Les Paul guitar.

My first ever concert was Floggin Molly in England.

I was creeping on some chick on Myspace back in 2005, and she had Children Of Bodom's - Children of Decadence playing as her page's theme. I was HOOKED! COB has been my favorite band and Alexi Laiho has been my #1 favorite guitarist ever since!

12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Probably Dire Straits. I remember my first own 2 cassettes were Money for Nothing and Born in the USA. Both of my parents are professional classical musicians and there never was an opportunity to listen to music at home because my father was teaching there. Meaning I spent my whole childhood listening to students playing.

Angus.
    Ibanez RG 140
    Probably Slayer's Decade of Aggression tour. Might have been Monsters of Rock with AC/DC and Metallica, uncertain of the dates. Make that 1991

First extreme metal band(s) you were into
    As was rightfull typed in a post above, SLAYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.

13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Great thread I must say!

That came a bit later in life but the first songs I heard that made me interested in guitar was Survivor - Eye of the Tiger, Europe - The final countdown and whatever pop rock song was out. I remember listening to Michael Jackson's Beat It and the solo blew me away. That was between 6 and 10. Then I listened to GnR and Metallica and was hooked.

I would say James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, John Petrucci. I was into Metallica, Megadeth and Dream Theater a lot.

My first guitar was a Squier F211 MIJ. I still have it and rock it. I got it used from a friend in Uni. I started playing when I was 19-20. Late bloomer.

It was a Greek blues-rock band which I can't remember the name. My first first metal show were local acts in the city I was studying and my first metal show was when Death came to Athens.

Sepultura. The first band with truly extreme vocals I heard.

14. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

What was the first guitar oriented band you ever listed to? Black Sabbath
    What guitarists inspired you to get a guitar? Ace Frehley
    What was your first guitar? Some mall store POS... I think the brand was Hondo? First decent one was a BC Rich Mockingbird
    First guitar focused concert you went to? Did: Last In Line tour
    First extreme metal band(s) you were into? Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer/Voi Vod/Venom/Overkill

15. TheDandy

TheDandy SS.org Regular

My dad got me into Dream Theater when I was around 6 or so, showing me Metropolis II.

John Petrucci and Steve Vai.

A Squier Mini Strat in black.

Dream Theater when I was 8 during the Progressive Nation tour, around BC&SL (to this day my favourite DT album).

Again from my dad, Meshuggah when he showed me Bleed, Combustion, and Obzen.

16. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Gotta be Metallica. Otherwise various country, gospel, and late 70’s/early 80’s pop.

Not really a guitarist, but Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future. He made me think the guitar was pretty damn cool anyway.

Some Sears special electric from my Uncle, with no amp and all but one string broken.

I’m going to say Floater (at least as far as I can remember).

Fear Factory. Obsolete is their “Black Album” but Demanufacture was the game changer.

17. crazyprofessor

crazyprofessor SS.org Regular

Van Halen more than anyone.

I vividly remember listening to Dave Gilmour's solo on Another Brick and thinking that this is otherworldly.

A white strat knockoff.

Thin Lizzy in 1982. I was 13 I think.

The questions assumes that everyone is into extreme metal. I can dig me some meshuggah but much of the other "extreme" bands bore me.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

1) Depends how you define "guitar oriented," I suppose... my dad used to play a lot of blues and blues rock around the house when I was growing up, so stuff like the Stones and Jimi and Howlin' Wolf was always in the back of my head... But, Nirvana was the first "contemporary" guitar oriented band I got into.

2) Kurt Cobain, for sure, with a bit of help from Jimi. Jimi (and Clapton's playing on Wolf's London Sessions) definitely ignited a love for the sound of the guitar, but Cobain was the first guy where I thought maybe that was something I could do too.

3) I started on my dad's old 60s Gibson acoustic. Still love that thing. The first one I owned, though, was a Yamaha Pacifica 112.

4) Music driven by guitar would probably be some punk or ska band (I hung with that crowd in high school, they threw better parties and listened to better music than the jocks, who were mostly into country, rap, and AC/DC). First guitar-oriented show I went to though would have been the second G3 tour, with Satch, Vai, and Petrucci.

5) First plausibly metal band would be the Creed debut - after hearing "My Own Prison" on the radio and liking it, I bought the album, and was taken aback by how heavy it was, at the time. First extreme band? Probably Soilwork, "Stabbing the Drama" was pretty much love at first listen.

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

My sister had GNR - Appetite For Destuction, Judas Priest - Painkiller, Living Colour - Vivid, and Alice in Chains - Facelift on cassette so those were some of the first that I heard. Then shortly later Nirvana and Metallica released a few small albums.

Hetfield, Hammett, Slash, Cantrell, and Dime.

Early 90s Peavey Tracer. I played this and a cheap Epiphone SG from 1994 until around 2003 when I got my a LTD Viper 1000. I thought it sucked for the longest time compared to the LTD, so I left it in a closet for 15 years after that. Turns out my hatred was actually the shitty vintage tuners and crap pickups. It's a US made guitar, plays pretty well and sounds much better since I gave it new graphtech saddles, Duncan pickups, and Hipshot locking tuners.
    [​IMG]
    Smashing Pumpkins in 1996. The show before Jimmy Chamberlin and the Keyboardist OD'd.

Early on I mostly listened to Thrash and Alternative stuff through the 90's. Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins. Then the early 2000s modern metal kind of hit with Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, Darkest Hour, and Killswitch Engage. That is when I really started getting into the more extreme side and discovered the Swedish Melodeath bands which obviously influenced the previous bands I mentioned.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  20. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

A friend played the drums and wanted someone to play with. We were both 8. He had only been playing for a year, but already knew to try to trick me into playing bass, because he knew they were more rare, and guitarists were a dime-a-dozen. Didn't work.

1) I would have to say...Guns and Roses (I bought Appetite for Desctruction with my 1st Communion gift money when I was 7), or if you mean guitar centric, then Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare album

2) Joe Perry and Slash

3) A rented classical. Then a rented Hamer Artist...something...can't remember the full name of the top of my head, but explorer-shaped. Hilarious for a 9 year old.

4) First concert ever: Van Halen. It turns out that the guy who had the seat behind me, and told me that I could stand on my seat if I wanted, would end up being my guitar teacher. 2nd concert was Def Leppard.

5) 3rd concert was Megadeth, but then quickly shifted over from metal to industrial from my first listen of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine.