What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Scottosan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now try a Psykes with an A2/A5 combo :D Ended up out of town this weekend but am off this coming week so should FINALLY get my set installed this week.
Cant do 2 different on these because of the opposing pole arrangement. The A5 would discharge the A2. Also I was able to get the ceramics as non custom because they’re a common size. I cannot find ALNICO in this size. If these Psykes sell enough and I can justify it, I can get some custom size, but a minimum order for custom is still pretty big.

Samark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure I ever did a NGD for my Horizon CTM, probably because it's still got a 12th fret inlay. But I still had some plans for it, and this week a custom set of Gotoh 360s arrived. Thanks to @Samark for convincing me to go ebony knob instead of straight-up gold -- cost me an extra 3 weeks but I love the result:

View attachment 117766

View attachment 117768

View attachment 117767

View attachment 117769

I've had the gold sinclair for probably a year and a half now - what a pain it is to track one of those down. The wear under the palm is more than the other parts, so was thinking to take it to get plated at some point. Also was so focused on getting the bridge right I strung up the first 4 strings like they were magnum locking before realizing what I was doing, so now I'm torn between restringing the correct way or just cutting them and leaving the nut locked. Kind of ruined photo time but I'm still digging how it looks. Had some black knobs from another Horizon that's at ESP at the moment... think it came together nicely. Was also surprised how much some polish made the top pop a bit more.
That looks spectacular. Nice job man

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cant do 2 different on these because of the opposing pole arrangement. The A5 would discharge the A2. Also I was able to get the ceramics as non custom because they’re a common size. I cannot find ALNICO in this size. If these Psykes sell enough and I can justify it, I can get some custom size, but a minimum order for custom is still pretty big.

Ah makes sense, hadn't looked into the design enough to realize it used opposing pole magnets. Psykes seem to be selling like crazy though :lol:

I'm already building / buying guitars just to put different pickups in so I should probably stop :rofl:

The Wicked 8 is going in the bridge of the Fog Mike Learn guitar with a SD Fury in the neck.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Am I the only person who enjoys ESP 12th fret inlay??? Idk what it is, but the aesthetic with it really reminds me of like 86 Toyota Corollas and JDM cars and manga and all the "white boy who loves 80s-90s Japan" stuff.
Yea, not the vibe I get. Mixing blocks of different sizes is just bad aesthetics. It reminds me of when people take photos of floor tiles and there's like 100 perfectly arranged floor tiles and then there's just that...one... that breaks the whole pattern. In ESPs case, breaking the pattern just to throw their brand up there again, when it's like a foot away from another one of their logos, is not a sufficiently good excuse IMO.
By the way @narad I know it's been joked of before but from the last few years of looking at your photos, I'm convinced you have built your home out of guitars, amps, and couch cushions.

I basically do....it's ridiculous. I keep making stupid purchases under the "It'll all work out when I find a bigger apartment" logic, but I've been apartment hunting for like 8 months. If this was London I'd have it sorted in a week but in Tokyo looking for a new place is ridiculous. 99% of things are irrelevant, whenever you find something there's already applications in from people who haven't even viewed it, and then if you're a foreigner like 4 out of 5 of your applications get rejected because of it. Basically every usable inch of this apartment's been allocated, and that still means there's a Herbert flight case blocking my entrance, a Mesa 4x12 blocking my fridge door from opening, and some other guitars in hard cases blocking the kitchen table chair.

Someday!

Sweet !

That Guitar over by the Bogner cab reminded me of this guitar George Lynch was playing in this old VHS ....i drooled over it ...lol

Mike

watch

Oh ya, I know that one. This one's a Tom Anderson but I see where you're coming from.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Yea, not the vibe I get. Mixing blocks of different sizes is just bad aesthetics. It reminds me of when people take photos of floor tiles and there's like 100 perfectly arranged floor tiles and then there's just that...one... that breaks the whole pattern. In ESPs case, breaking the pattern just to throw their brand up there again, when it's like a foot away from another one of their logos, is not a sufficiently good excuse IMO.

I basically do....it's ridiculous. I keep making stupid purchases under the "It'll all work out when I find a bigger apartment" logic, but I've been apartment hunting for like 8 months. If this was London I'd have it sorted in a week but in Tokyo looking for a new place is ridiculous. 99% of things are irrelevant, whenever you find something there's already applications in from people who haven't even viewed it, and then if you're a foreigner like 4 out of 5 of your applications get rejected because of it. Basically every usable inch of this apartment's been allocated, and that still means there's a Herbert flight case blocking my entrance, a Mesa 4x12 blocking my fridge door from opening, and some other guitars in hard cases blocking the kitchen table chair.

Someday!

Oh ya, I know that one. This one's a Tom Anderson but I see where you're coming from.

All of this and the various events as of late with your buying escapades seem like they would make a great Slice Of Life manga. Need to add in a slight Sci Fi element somewhere and a quirky pseudo-harem. Did you ever make more headway on the robot based knob turning deal you were working on?

narad

Reaction score
All of this and the various events as of late with your buying escapades seem like they would make a great Slice Of Life manga. Need to add in a slight Sci Fi element somewhere and a quirky pseudo-harem. Did you ever make more headway on the robot based knob turning deal you were working on?
Instead of leaving work to come home to some awkward situation with girls, I leave work to come home to... a second job! Now that's a premise for a boring manga :D

Yea, I mean the robot knob turning thing is basically working but I have to admit there's a lot of startup cost so I don't really imagine anyone else bothering to use it much. I have better ideas for newer "hardware" -- my previous stuff was printed using resin printers and would often distort too much for engineering purposes, and the post-processing just sucked to spend 40 minutes cleaning and curing to find that parts aren't fitting together appropriately. I've just been thinking this week to sell mine and buy a filament based printer because I have some cool LCDs so I colud basically make it like a triaxis.

I've been focusing more on VSTs for the same thing, just out of convenience. I have some code that will sweep through knob configurations and "reamp" a VST, basically sampling it at a ton of points, so I can really quickly create data for machine learning amp sounds. I probably just need a few weeks to tidy up some stuff before I put that out there, but I'll also put out the dataset of sweeping various popular plugins, and people can build their own VSTs with it. I also bought an FM3 just to sweep its sounds, but I haven't gotten a spare weekend to learn how to set it up for it. I guess map the limited user definable MIDI commands to B/M/T/Pres/Gain, then manually setup presets with just a singe amp or effect block, then script through changing them from my laptop. I wrote that already for the chase bliss mk II -- kind of cool to see all the sliders going as it collects data -- but I'm actually not sure people want any mk II sounds on their own.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a pair sitting at home just haven't had time to install them... and keep eyeing a black LPC on my local Craigslist and thinking it would be cool to buy it and do a full Sykes style vs putting them in my silverburst :lol:
FUck it, let's go full Whitesnake. :lol:

Except for me it'll be in a Tele Deluxe soooo

Honestly I woulda had them sooner, but I've lost track with so I didn't realize they were officially released a week ago. :lol:

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've read mixed things; either it was the main guitar for MoP or just a backup for the '84. But on tour he did drop it down a step and a half (yes he was doing that even in 1986 :lol:) and used it only for Thing.

Hetfield said in the big MOP book that came out a few years ago that the Gibson Explorer (which would have had stock DF) sounded better than the King V so he used the Gibson to track the album. The photos with the King V have caused a lot of confusion. I've seen youtube videos of people trying to get the MOP tone with Jackson Vs and it keeps getting repeated that he used the Jackson but it's wrong. At most he used the Jackson for a few parts. I see now the Ola video where he tries to get the MOP tone has almost a million views and a white pointy V in the thumbnail. Cringe. And other stuff like cab isn't even close either. Welcome to the age of social media, where the truth doesn't matter, only clicks and likes.

Hetfield might have done a track with one of Kirk's guitars though, because that's something they would do. I'm not sure if they did that for MOP though. Maybe.

narad

Reaction score
Man, this thing doesn't fit any of my Horizons because the space between the HB ring and floyd is too small. Didn't want to put it on this guitar, but it's done:

316740392_1288533235277561_644617363077927120_n.jpg

Very sensitive to the height. GK3s are radiused too which kind of sucks.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just bought a novation circuit tracks.

Should be fun to pair w my microfreak.