What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I watch your youtube videos and find them helpful and informative. I have fallen out of love with my Kemper and have gone to real amps with reactive loads and IRs for home home recording but the QC has been on my radar. Thanks for your take on it. Keep us posted!

The real amps will always be the best so you can't go wrong with that. The QC is really close though so I think it would be an amazing tool for bringing your amps on stage or in the studio for that matter. I will do some comparison videos but I think I'm going to profile all my amps (which will be way too much work) and use them for recording demos, scratch tracks and whatever. It sounds so good that it might end up on final mixes too.... We'll see :)

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Latest purchase was a Suhr Doug Aldrich HB for the bridge, but when I tried to install it, the screws didn't fit through the hole in the tab. WTF - I thought this was standardized? I pulled out another set of screws from my EMG set and they didn't go through either. Suhr has a different tab than the rest of the world?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Latest purchase was a Suhr Doug Aldrich HB for the bridge, but when I tried to install it, the screws didn't fit through the hole in the tab. WTF - I thought this was standardized? I pulled out another set of screws from my EMG set and they didn't go through either. Suhr has a different tab than the rest of the world?

Is the Jackson direct mount? I don't remember. In my experience most pickups have the tab holes sized / threaded for pickup rings and you need to drill them out for direct mounting with wood screws.

narad

Reaction score
Is the Jackson direct mount? I don't remember. In my experience most pickups have the tab holes sized / threaded for pickup rings and you need to drill them out for direct mounting with wood screws.

Yea, it is. I mean the direct mount will also be some sort of PITA, but right now I can't even get the EMG screws in there, and those are the typical long thin with fine threads that mount to the pickup ring. Maybe it's because the tabs look like this, kind of metal bulge on one side of the whole that prevents the threads from going through cleanly:

i4vk6zzh71rrzokgpqku.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought this was standardized?

Quoted for the opportunity to read again. :lol:

Dude, any opportunity to not standardize and the industry will take it.

Like, all these companies still use different color wire. Why? It all costs the same. There is literally no reason not to use similar stuff and it's always different. There is a pickup company starting tomorrow that already plans on using purple or some shit for ground.

But for serious, does Japan have hardware stores? You should be able to get a replacement easily and cheaply if so. Also, grab a thread checker set, HUGE time saver.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Max is wise... and I have no clue. I think when I've installed Aldrich pickups I've either had to drill them out for direct mount or used the screws that came with them.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For the past hours I've been capturing my amps (DI captures with loadbox). I started with my Orange Jim Root, then ENGL Fireball 25 and now Mesa Mini Rectifier. Damn, these captures are good. Not 100% and it varies a little bit per amp but it's much much closer than the Kemper. Seriously, if you're into profiling, the quad cortex in where it's at. It's kind of hard to believe, like, how the hell can a device pull this off... Crazy!

> visit the Rocker friend with the QC
> ????
> profit

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apparently the 70’s OR120 full stack on consignment in toronto is still available.

I have no band and no room or I would be screwed :rofl:

my fuck this is relatable

TBH I've only just stopped buying gear for the band I stopped playing in 5+ years ago, tough mindset to break

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
my fuck this is relatable

TBH I've only just stopped buying gear for the band I stopped playing in 5+ years ago, tough mindset to break
Once band bills were paid off it’s been a guitar carousel :lol:

MattThePenguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What model is that one?
Looked up the serial number and it's a pro series SL7 that came out in 2019. Indo made, but it's a 7 with a floyd and a cool ass headstock haha. It's also neck through and comes with duncans, so I jumped on it especially for the price. My Gotoh bridge came in already which I wasn't expecting, just waiting on the tuners to become available and some money to buy the knobs and locking nut (I'm blacking out the hardware)

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looked up the serial number and it's a pro series SL7 that came out in 2019. Indo made, but it's a 7 with a floyd and a cool ass headstock haha. It's also neck through and comes with duncans, so I jumped on it especially for the price. My Gotoh bridge came in already which I wasn't expecting, just waiting on the tuners to become available and some money to buy the knobs and locking nut (I'm blacking out the hardware)
Yeah man, that thing is sexy. 😍

aWoodenShip

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After selling my standard scale 7 string so I could buy something with a longer scale I finally got a hold of one of these. Never really cared for Schechter necks and I was looking for something with an Evertune, but this popped up for a ridiculous deal and I went for it. k2cmhhbdrbtitjbvkgs5.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Do I put double cream pickups in the R9 (experimenting) and wonder who the fuck I’ve become the last 6 months?

Somewhere in the world, a person lies in a pool hooked up to a helmet as a screen flashes, and a ball rolls down a track into the hand of Tom Cruise. It's too late for budda, the pre-cogs have already marked him for future crimes.

We hardly knew ye.

But seriously, you have three options: open pole black pickups, open pole bridge/covered neck, gold covered pickups. Nothing else is acceptable.

narad

Reaction score
Quoted for the opportunity to read again. :lol:

Dude, any opportunity to not standardize and the industry will take it.

Like, all these companies still use different color wire. Why? It all costs the same. There is literally no reason not to use similar stuff and it's always different. There is a pickup company starting tomorrow that already plans on using purple or some shit for ground.

But for serious, does Japan have hardware stores? You should be able to get a replacement easily and cheaply if so. Also, grab a thread checker set, HUGE time saver.

I'd just never experienced any screw mismatches in swapping things into pickguard rings, so at some point I started to trust the system :D

Yea, of course Japan does have hardware stores, but I have a hard enough time finding what I want in a hardware store in English. I did manage to get to a store and get screws for more of a furniture project once, and it was not fun. Definitely possible but vastly prefer problem solving from the couch w/ ample google translate to help on all these domain specific terms.

^ Max is wise... and I have no clue. I think when I've installed Aldrich pickups I've either had to drill them out for direct mount or used the screws that came with them.

What do you use to drill it out? Can a dremel do it? Do you need some sort of metal reamer bit?