What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. migstopheles

migstopheles SS.org Regular

now that there is a Herbert module for synergy, as well as the Pitbull UL... damn that is tempting, they are two amps that you can't really try over here but I've been suuuper interested in for a good while now. but if i buy the 2 module rack unit and the those two preamps that's like £1500, which could be spent on a jcm. such problems

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That's how they get you. The 2 slot Synergy rack unit is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

c7spheres likes this.
  3. migstopheles

migstopheles SS.org Regular

yeah it's actually more expensive than two of the standalone single module thingies, madness

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Custom 24, mjt musikraft/allparts JM, vintage modified baritone JM (the black one).

5. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Thats what turned me off of buying it...it is what it is ....but if it would have been a little cheaper i most likely would have bought everything they put out by now ....im pretty happy with my rack right now anyways....besides i have the FM3 if i wanted those amp models...i still havent tried it for effects only yet. Fractals effects are top notch

Mike

StevenC likes this.
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Yeah, at 869 euros that's just way too much. If it was say 400-500 that would be expensive but acceptable and probably would lead to people buying more of them and consequently more modules to fill them.

Mourguitars likes this.
  7. Mourguitars

It was the same with Rocktrons Preamps the valve sonics ....they were above what they said Street price was going to be....but they blew some out at $299 and i was all over them...

Ive been playing my rack this weekend , the valve sonic Plexi with a MRX 10b EQ with my "Timmy "klone boosting thru my Intellifex sounds so awesome ....i started with Lasse 10b EQ setting from his screenshot off the STL software..i think its called that...didnt adjust much but the level and 500k slider a tad bit.....even with the JMP-1 that EQ helped...had to cut some treble off the Timmy klone....to my ears that pedal just boosts and adds some hi end

Mike

c7spheres likes this.
  8. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

It's always interesting to think about how relatively small tweaks in price can make of break a product. I don't know what the price would have to be for me, but damn it's just too much where they are priced right now.

The idea of swappable modules is cool, very good for a hobbyist who just likes to try all the different things. But when you are up in that top end price range, where I can buy a real 5150 or Powerball, or indeed a Kemper or Neural DSP pedal... I mean, it's just too much to spend on something where you need to go through a stack of modules to find a really killer one. And a part of me is pretty convinced that I'd get just as good of a sound buying a classic amp.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I think the ~400 euro price for the modules is fine, that's in the realm of higher end fx pedals. Adding the other parts is where it goes south as you end up somewhere close to 3000 euros and there are some real world class amps in that range. Even the Syn-50 head is basically the most expensive tube poweramp (ok, it has a clean channel but you still want the modules) available and it's not even stereo.

It's also a tough sell against modelers that are smaller, lighter and more versatile without having to swap modules around. That ~3000 euros buys you an Axe-Fx 3 and a Class D poweramp achieving much of what the Synergy does so you are paying a lot for the analog all-tubeness.

c7spheres likes this.
  10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

-

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

This is getting ridiculous, if you want to discuss why you're not buying something or complain about pricing start a new thread, this is
    What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?
    not
    This is why I'm not buying something

12. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Well it turns out I didn't have to wait until Monday cause GuitarGuitar shipped it to me this afternoon pickups are stock and I'm still not thrilled by the Nazgul but I've got a SD Full Shred I might replace it with.

13. Leaviathan

Leaviathan SS.org Regular

engl1.jpg engl2.jpg This! It came in a few days ago

14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

They were supposed to make four, and only released one so far as I know. That was an unmitigated disaster.

Mourguitars likes this.
  15. Mourguitars

Mailbox was full this morning, i guess these was delivered after 6 on Saturday

These Fluke silicone leads are so nice...also bought the Clip boots

Bought 2 of these 50ohm BNC to 1/4 jack for my signal Gen 4' and 6'...hope they work

1/8 stereo mini cable for connecting 2 ISP's ....im going to redo my pedalboard with another 5 bay switcher for my delays and reverbs....maybe ditch the Xpression use pedals in my loop of the Ceriatone 800...something different

Mike

20210920_083503.jpg

16. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

I have a whole bunch of stuff planned for the not-so-far future, as we moved to a new, larger place where I can actually set up a mini-home studio. (Basically a desk with a monitor, laptop, DI, and speakers.) Gotta get me some proper studio monitors at some point, too.

But I'm trying a Strandberg Boden Original 8 at a local dealer this week. Hopefully I won't like it too much so I won't end up with a giant hole in my pocket...

17. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Picked up a 100w Archon, should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't hate my house like the last PRS amp I owned.

18. Azarea

Azarea SS.org Regular

How do you like it so far ? The features are obviously impressive, but I'm mainly scared of the el84 power section. Have you had the chance to crank it yet ?

19. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Found a decent deal on a Warm EQP (Pultec clone) that sounds pretty good from what I’ve heard online. I use the UAD Pultec plugin, with EQ circuit in bypass, on my guitar bus all the time so I’m curious how this will do. So far, every piece of analog gear I’ve bought is a noticeable improvement. The plugins are still great and very useful, but not the same. I like to get the majority of my compression and top end on the way in, as they’re two weaker spots of plugins, so the less of that I have to do in the box, the better.

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Knowing me, a Keeley Compressor.

Then I will try running:
    Keeley Compressor > Noise Gate > Boss SD1 > Noise Gate > Amp
    > Noise Gate in Fx Loop
    :lol:

c7spheres likes this.