What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

My issue with fuzz is matching the right dirt, amp, pickups, and guitar to the fuzz. Half the time it's too muddy or it's got no bottom. These solve that problem. The BOG sounded more like a distortion pedal than a fuzzface depending on the settings. I prefer my fuzz to go from smooth and tame to Hendrix... that's it. I don't mind a little gating which thanks to the bias these do nicely. But I'm not a splatty fuzz guy - and there's DeviEver and Dwarfcraft for that lol.

So right now I have the Kingtone Jesse Davey Si Fuzz Mini and these two in the mail. Can't wait :)

If you like Fuzz then I recommend these from what I have:
    Vick Audio V2 - Si version of Cornish G2 (which I think is just a really smooth Ram's Head Muff IIRC?), really REALLY great for lead and slide.
    Thorpy Muffroom Cloud - Best muff on the planet by far, Pumpkins to killer lead and slide. All things muff.
    Amptweaker Tight Fuzz - Great Tonebender Mk1 and 1.5 IIRC... Ge or Si, 60s or 70s, and tight control. The most mild but killer pedal.
    Catalinbread Katzenkoenig - Killer Fuzzstortion = Ratt + Fuzz
    EQD Zapmachine - limited ed., made with 3 transistors - Best fuzz booster ever (unreal cleans)
    Choad Blaster (AKA Chord Blaster - another Fuzzstortion - Marshall Plexi + fuzz - best/smoothest fuzzstortion I've ever heard, best for chords
    I also have a bunch of the huge Roger Mayer Fuzzes I just can't remember the names, but all are various tweaks on the Arbiter and Fuzzface IIRC.

YMMV

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    c7spheres likes this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Thank you very much. I have some research to do now. It's incredible how many Fuzz's are out there. I'm digging the Hellbender now. I like that imploding crazy big fuzz tone for the fat chords and such but it seems hard to find one that does that and also does not have that annoying percussive attack. Thanks again.

3. USMarine75

See if you can find a good demo of the Sola Sound Freakenbender. Not sure if that's in the same direction as what you want?

c7spheres likes this.
  4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Not so much. I always seem to lean towards the mk1,2 and 3 benders. I like that mk3 a lot too. All I'm goinig off of is videos, but there's something about the mk1, mk2pro, and mk3 I really like. I've been looking at those Analog Man recreations too and like those sounds. I'm only beginging to realize what I've gotten myself in to. THis is going to be a never ending road. I need to run away before it's to late : )

5. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Have you ever not had gas?

Because, I don't have gas. It's been 30 years.

It's weird.

rokket2005 and c7spheres like this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

You might be able to fit a Way Huge Supa Puss.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I'm actually trying to see if I can raise my pedalboard so I can fit a proper power supply under it. So I can properly fit the big boi pedals.

8. Spaced Out Ace

Ah, alright.

9. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

You know... I didn't think that the mxr bad-ass was overly percussive but ever since you mentioned it, I can't seem to dial it out. I keep wanting to pick USMarine75's brain regarding budget fuzz pedals cause I just can't afford nor justify any new gear atm. Looking at sub $100 stuff but wondering if I'm just wasting my time. Most of what I like is along the lines of Muffuletta, Katzenkönig, etc.. but can't swallow those prices. Also have been intrigued by the Dulop Hendrix series but idk... so damn much fuzz out there.

Liking the Ram's Head, Op-amp Big Fuzz, and really liking the Big Triangle atm. Even played around with the idea of going stupid-cheap... several that at least to me sound pretty close to what I want... Joyo VooDoo, Behringer SF300, and the Biyang Baby Boom for dirt cheap. Looking for vintage/ creamy/ Floydish/ Hendrixish but really not sure what I should be looking for at this point. Demo overload and my ears are having trouble picking up on all the nuances.

c7spheres likes this.
  10. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I haven't really since February when I got my OB6. When the market crashed I dumped a bunch of money in and basically paid for the last two guitars I bought and the OB6, and it's a nicer feeling to see money working for me rather than sitting in a case in the corner of my closet.

11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'm sorry man. I specifically didn't want to mention the SUper Badass. That's one that's been on my radar and has what I want for sounds. I just wanted to try one out first to try to dial that percussive out. It seems like there would have to be a way to get rid of it, but it's pretty annoying if you can't. Sorry to bring something to attention that you can't unhear. Hope I didn't ruin it for you. Let me know if you ever get it dial out.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  12. USMarine75

At that price point you can't go wrong with Vick Audio, Mojo Gear, Mojo Hand, and SolidGoldFX. I'd have to look at those others.

The best website for finding gear to sound like Floyd is Gilmourish:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BjornRiis
    http://www.gilmourish.com/

Check out the V2. It's a modernized version of the Pete Cornish G2 ($500). 98% same circuit, but with Si instead of Ge, so it has it's own thing going on. Very smooth and creamy sounding lead tones. Basically, it sounds like a Rat+Muff = smoother Rat with fuller low end. Regularly sells for $75-99.
    http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=6980

Also, if you want Hendrix style the cheaper Dunlop pedals are great. There's also the Amptweaker Tight Fuzz that's not too expensive and covers a lot of ground.

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Really appreciate the fuzzy thoughts, man. Going to check out your suggestions and links. Interested to hear any additional insight for sure. The Behringer, Joyo, and Biyang are coming in under $50... hard to ignore at that price-point when on a budget and those were the only three cheap-o's that held my attention ( demo-wise). Thanks again!

Not at all, man. The real-world opinions are something missing from demos and as far as reviews go, I don't often trust what Joe Redneck says. I don't at all regret buying the MXR. It's brutal when that's what I need... Just that when it comes to tighter or more vintage-sounding fuzz, it's a bit difficult to tame.

c7spheres likes this.
  14. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

I bought a 20 watt Marshall JCM800, a Suhr Reactive Loadbox, and an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master the other day. Suffice to say, I'm taking control of my tone.

15. Spaced Out Ace

I see that damn Vincenzo finally gave you a decent raise.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  16. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Truth be told, not all the swag the Diablero stole "disappeared" with him that day. Hey, what the cops don't know won't hurt 'em.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  17. USMarine75

Bought the last remaining missing AMT original series pedal to complete my collection:

[​IMG]

Has internal 12AX7(ECC83) for those Magnum XL tones.

[​IMG]

Bearitone and c7spheres like this.
  18. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Who do you think you're fooling with those MAGNUM brand tubes?

19. USMarine75

I feel like it needs to go on my board right next to the Swollen Pickle

20. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

It was supposed to be the MC8 I keep blathering about, but a Toronto shop with very well regarded parts builds has a few in stock, and Im getting one of those. If Im lucky it will be here by the end of the week.

They also do custom builds, so this is a trial to see about ordering once they start back up.