What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I love my UL to death. I kept an eye out for years to find a decent deal on one, but it was well worth the wait. It's my "desert island" amp :metal:

narad likes this.
  2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

You can get all Fryettes to sound close to one another, but not exactly the same. The sig:x was designed to literally be a signature amp for anyone. Each channel has a switch with 3 modes as well as a boost (2 gain knobs), more or less gain switch, and a 40 watt mode. I havent found anything the amp cannot do.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. cwhitey2

@narad You shouldn't have any issues getting sweet tones with the setup you mentioned.

narad likes this.
  4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

All this Ultralead talk is making me want one even more. Even though I’m sure I don’t need one.

The other weekend I built a 4(ish) unit rack out of scrap wood I had in the garage, for my 2/50/2 and GP/DI to live in, as I was rearranging things. Been playing it a lot lately, some real good punch to be had.

I still like to use a boost with it though for metal tones (as I do with everything). Using my axe FX in the loop for eq, gate, and effects. I vaguely copied some of the GEQ settings I saw people using when I googled for Pittbulls, they work good! The ‘voicing’ switch on the power amp really brings the upper midrange bite, key to good metal tones.

0B627370-1F29-4C6B-B757-0D7DE2270A11.jpeg

Now I need to think of something to go into the other half of that rack shelf

cwhitey2 likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

I'm still kicking myself for not buying that sig x I found on craigslist for 1000$ last year.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Still in the same boat. I kinda got turned off by VHT because I didn't dig the D120 model in the Fractal AX8. But after hearing that some of the Axe models missed the mark, I'm curious about trying them again.

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Man I found a Sig X for $600 back when I had my D120 and passed thinking they must go cheap all the time. Haven’t seen another even close to that price since haha. Oh well, UL still gives me all the VHT flavor I need.

8. cwhitey2

Sadly, UL's are never cheap...i will acquire one some day. And the last time i said that i had my sig:x 2 weeks later. :lol:

9. narad

narad Owned a Zune

These days how does Fryette even sell amps with the Sig-X discontinued and the ULs being like $4k new? Supposedly there's a Sig-X 2 in the works, but in the meantime, no lunchbox versions, not really any channel switcher to compete in the $2-2.5k range.

At this point I've got enough amps that I don't have to think of versatility or even give the clean channel a second, so I can just (hopefully) appreciate the UL for it's UL-ness.

10. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Why the hell would anyone want a luncbox version? Fryettes are known for being tight and dry..I'd say headroom helps a lot there.

People buy those amps just like they buy Diezels and whatnot. If you can afford it, then you get one..if not..well..good luck on the used circuit. I'm all for that business model. Keeps everything balanced.

11. narad

narad Owned a Zune

For amp companies that want to survive into 2020, bedroom > headroom.

ThePIGI King likes this.
  12. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

If anyone wants a low wattage Fryette there's the GPDI. The problem that Fryette is having is that they completely shifted their focus. They make more powerstations than anything else at the moment. They cut basically all their amps aside from the aether and the memphis, neither of which I think they sell a ton of. Steve was working on the Sound City amps which I think they unveiled at like Namm 2016 or something, but it's such a small operation that everything is taking forever to get to market.

13. cwhitey2

To be fair guys, they are actually making amps in limited quantities. They just aren't making all models at the moment. I know the sig:x is essentially discontinued, i haven't heard any rumors of a version 2 other than random internet BS (would be awesome though).

I think Steve is happy where he is, at this moment in this business, but that's just my :2c:.

In all honesty, I wish I had money to have Steve personally build me a UL.

Everyone ATM is all about Fortin builds...i could care less.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

so what you're saying is you care a little bit :p

LeviathanKiller and StevenC like this.
  15. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Fryette guys, this ad just popped up on a FB gear exchange. Let me know if you need a direct pointer. He doesn't have pics of the head up yet though, can't say if it's GEQ:

Fryette Ultralead and Cab and Fryette attenuator
    $2,200
    Temecula, CA
    Brand new tubes and the amp has clean bill of health.
    This amp freaking slays! Can has some scratches and so does the tolex on the head but nothing major.
    Small hole in front grill of the cab. Cab is missing plastic but to hold speaker insert but I have a replacement in the mail

Willing to negotiate and would rather do deal local but will ship the head if someone is interested.

$1800 for the head
    $500 for the cab
    $350 for the attenuator

Same $100 and buy them together.
    Also have a Fryette attenuator if anyone is interested. Willing to make a great deal if you buy it all.

Took some of the pictures in a rush this morning hit me up if you want more!

16. KnightBrolaire

oooh baby, if that's a GEQ then that price is great, if not then BOOOOO, TO THE TRASH HEAP IT GOES

cwhitey2 likes this.
  17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

FWIW I A/B’d a UL GEQ vs a KSR Ares at Axe Palace for several hours and ended up going with the KSR. The UL was my dream amp but we were able to dial in the exact same tones. And this was same cab and guitar and flipping an A/B switch back and forth between with the two amps while playing. :2c:

That said... I’ll prob still buy a UL down the road once I’m back living in a house.

18. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Duuude, I *just* paid for the UL like 12 hours ago, you're killing the dream! :'(

Seriously though, if it was at the Axe Palace I assume it was the the KT88 UL, but then I'm pretty surprised at them being exactly the same back-and-forth with 6L6s. The 6L6 UL gets a lot of flak online from guys who have tried both (not that it's a different amp, just when it's setup with those tubes).

19. cwhitey2

I just checked my pockets and I have no cares to give!

20. KnightBrolaire

But does the ares get as toight and dry?
    I don't know why I want a UL, my mk3 is already plenty tight and dry enough when I want it to be. I'd hate something tighter/drier. I guess I just want to cross it off the list since I've wanted one for years.