What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I'm also interested in how it compares to that ART you have.

Sometime in the future I'd like to get a new cab and poweramp, and I'm not really sure what to look at regarding poweramps. I hear lots of good, but also some bad about Matrix... though I never know if those people who don't like it are comparing against $2,000+ studio grade poweramps.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Keep in mind I have only had it a few days and have only played it a few hours at most. I only compared with the SLA-2 for about 10 minutes, and haven't plugged it back in since. :D

Overall, my first impression was that it didn't sound that much different. I mean, both are flat poweramps that just make the sound louder. Then I got to listening more critically. The most noticeable thing is that the Matrix seems to pump more in the low end. The dynamics jump out at you more, and it just makes it more fun to play. I could always dial in ton of low end on the ART, but it seems like it was always compressed. I dunno. I could get a ton of bass, but it was just there. It didn't jump out at you when you hit a note the way a tube amp does. The Matrix is much better at this. Then I started to notice that the ART has more high end. Sometimes it would kinda grate on my ears when playing leads, and that doesn't seem to happen with the Matrix. So, I guess I would say the ART has a more compressed low end and a more harsh high end. More "Solid State" sounding I guess. The ART is also twice the size and twice the weight. Overall, the ART is a good poweramp, it would be hard to tell the difference if you were inexperienced with gear. I think the Matrix shines in the dynamics though. It is definitely more fun to play because the sound is more dynamic. The fans are a little louder than the ART. If absolute silence is needed then I would look at the 2U version.

I will have to compare with using my Recto as a poweramp. My first impressions though are that I dont think it would be worth the time and energy.

The only other poweramp I have really considered is a Freyette Power Station. I am not sure if that would add something extra or not, or be worth the energy, weight, and maintenance.

Sadly, now it makes me want to buy a smaller rack case, lol. The Matrix is tiny.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Very cool.

I remember reading some marketing copy and some reviews stating that they were designed to be more 'tube like' in feel, but still FRFR, and I couldn't really decide if that would be a good thing or not, as the Axe FX should technically already model all of that business.

Good to hear that 1.) its not just marketing, and 2.) that it sounds good.

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, it basically seems like your typical flat PA poweramp. I have played through many through the years. Typically they are loud, but kind of have a flat feel. Not very fun to play. The Matrix seems different because the feel is not as stiff. It is a little more bouncy and dynamic. This makes it feel more like a guitar amp. The guys that dont like it have probably gotten use to that PA Poweramp stiff feel. The Axe can model all of that, but then if you run it through a compressed poweramp.....

I know when I use my Recto as a poweramp, it can be annoying. On the Orange mode (normal tube power amp), it seems like it can either be too bright/harsh or too dark/dull depending on the presence setting. Honestly the dynamics and thump are really not that impressive in this mode.... at least not when cranked through the roof. The Red mode (Modern, Deep, etc... mode) definitely has more low end chunk and dynamics. It actually sounds and feels amazing. However, you also get that harsh high end fizz to go with it that can wreck your presets. It definitely adds the Recto sizzle to every sound in the Axe. While this can sound good, it can be annoying.

So far, the Matrix is not as dramatic at the Red mode, and probably more like the Orange mode, but overall, more flat in general. It is kinda in between the ART and the Recto. It will be fun to play with it more over the coming months.

Of course the size and weight has to be mentioned also! Thing is easily 1/4 the size the Axe itself. Seems like it would be a great addition to many rigs because it is a lot of power for such a small addition to a rig. Reminds me of when I used to have Mosvalve poweramps. I always wish I kept them. Such a useful thing to have around.....

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Impulse bought a VHT Fatbottom 4x12 to go with my Ultra Lead last night, so that's incoming in the next week or two :D gonna be throwing the Deliverance 4x12 up for sale once the Fatbottom gets here, too.

6. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Tax return+ overtime= still probably gonna spring for a PRS/JPX but I did find something very very interesting in Pittsburgh that could steal my money for less than those other things. I'm also going to be there next weekend so I might have an interesting NGD :lol:

7. asher

asher So Did We

If I can't get cleans I like for rhythm use with the 57/66 in the strandberg (pop, rock, some funk kind of stuff - metal cleans would be fine) tax return is going to a Jazzmaster.

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Been having Strandberg GAS a lot lately.
    But I've been playing all weekend and my wrists/hands aren't bothering me, so...

That down payment on a new Tesla Model 3 is calling my bank account.

9. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

Going to replace my 2 OneSpots with a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus. Long overdue and should result in a much cleaner pedalboard without all the daisy chaining everywhere.

10. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

Well...This may have to wait until Graduation, if I end up going to this Prom thing then it will set me back for sure... *sigh*

11. Ulvhedin

Ulvhedin Phrygianist

Just went #yolo and paid for one of these :coffee:

[​IMG]

12. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

^
    yummy

13. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

As far as gear goes it'll probably be something recording based. I've pretty much hit endgame for both guitars and amps, and I've been sidequesting on them for a little while. I've wanted an Empirical Labs Distressor for a while, though it's honestly not that big of a deal since I have an RNC which I have no qualms with. For the studio I need to hit up craigslist for kirby vacuum that's in good shape though.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Still pretty set on the IC400 or IC350.

Also hoping I can get in contact with Banjomikez to get a customized Duncan Nazgul.

15. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

Epiphone Brent Hinds maybe

16. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

MJT Telemaster body incoming. Stoked to put this together. Been way too long since I've done a project.

17. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

in a few more days...

[​IMG]

...Ill be coming home from GC with a floor model of one of these for slightly cheaper than list (I hope)

18. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

saw a thread about it a while back...is it gonna be silver burst or b/w?

19. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

Silverburst! Can't wait to try one out!

20. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

Looking for a new overdrive and will likely be getting either the Mad Professor Simble, the ZenDrive or an Archer..

And a Mooer acoustic sim for smaller function gigs :lol:

I'm damaged.