What is your go to way to find musicians to jam with?

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Can't believe this is even a question I have to ask, but in 2021 it's actually pretty challenging. I just moved out to the Pac NW a few months ago and I'm ready to find some people to bounce ideas off of and maybe see what happens, but every avenue I've tried for finding musicians has been pretty hard. I tried Bandmix and just looking for classifieds and whatnot on facebook but with little luck. It's not like the old days where I can go to a guitar center and they have a wall of stuff like that or go to a concert and try and meet people there since they're less frequent now. All in all, it's a pain in the butt and I really have that itch to get out and jam with people again as it's been a while since I've lived in an area where that's even an option.

Thoughts? Advice? Go fuck myself?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These days my usual tactic is to post an ad on Craigslist every 6-10 months, get emails from random weirdos and the same two boomer dads who I can only assume think "noise" means AC/DC, get dejected and reinvest in my solo material.*

My last band's drummer I really just stumbled onto, he posted in a local music group on FB saying he wanted to drum in a band and I was the first one to message him. Everyone else has been people I knew. I tried Fandalism years ago, not sure if that ever worked for anyone but definitely didn't for me. I'm skeptical of those musician-specific socials, seems like anyone who'd be on there would also just be on FB but I haven't checked them out or used FB in years so I'm just talking out my ass.

*By far the best/weirdest/funniest email I got was from someone who interpreted my admittedly somewhat-vague "Guitarist seeks drummer to get weird and loud" ad to mean I was looking for a man, for sex. He asked for a picture, and got one of my cat sitting in front of my pedal board. Unswayed, he asked me point blank: "are you looking for a man???" to which I replied, "no, I'm looking for a drummer." My ad did make this fact very clear, so I thought maybe he thought it was some kind of music-and-also-sex thing because at this point nothing seemed too absurd. Anyway, I never did hear back, so I guess he wasn't a drummer.

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fb groups are the best method around here. We have a world metal scene Michigan chapter that is pretty active. they probably have a chapter for your state too if you wanna play metal or I would just find a local musicians wanted group and go from there.

Interesting how fb has overtaken CL. CL is pretty empty these days for finding musicians and selling gear.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
I have lived in NYC for 8 years. The same 3 people have been trying to form the same 3 death metal bands on Craigslist the entire time. This does not help you and I'm sorry for going off topic but I'm curious if anyone else in the area has noticed this.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Go to shows, they are back. Talk to people in music stores.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
If going to bars is OK with you, find a local open mic and scope out the talent. Bonus points if there is a band hosting it who let people sit in with them. Even if you don't find any musicians to play with, you can at least work on your chops while learning how to listen/play with other people. Being in a band is a teamwork thing, and being able to play off other musicians is a huge asset to have.