What is your favorite Non-Gibson Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by jwguitar, May 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

vilk likes this.
  2. TimSE

TimSE Tone Chasr Contributor

I recently picked up a MI-Japan LP from ~1987

I made an overly nerdy post about it and have more to come!

This thread for the NGD

817c1408-8c3e-4a08-baaa-a613adb74dda.jpg 5623c44f-5440-4604-9bf7-d18444dca00b.jpg fdxv5hctoacywcgnycbe.jpg ktbnujntfiepmhzikzsu.jpg

3. uni777

uni777 SS.org Regular

For me this one. Wanted a LP with a Floyd which was basicly the brother to my Sykes. Bought it for the Floyd not the sustainer. When not used in susutainer mode the neckpup was pretty muddy and the bridge was not that great either. So i gutted it and installed the same electronics as my Sykes has. Also added a second volume. See the after mod guitar in the other pictures.

IMG-20200708-WA0016.jpg IMG-20210420-WA0013.jpg LPline.jpg
    BTW, a bit late, but a 'thank you' to Lewis for some staining tips concerning this one.

4. Robstonin

Robstonin SS.org Regular

LTD AS-1 FR: Les Paul style + Floyd + improved heel without the Gibson Axcess price tag and the Skolnick tramp stamp or flag inlays. Comes with a HSC too.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

comp_img_0914zeuh2.jpg

LTD WA-'Merica.

6. bigcupholder

bigcupholder SS.org Regular

ESP Eclipse. Easy. I sold my Les Paul Classic after I got my first Eclipse and then got a second Eclipse.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  7. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Agile AL-2000 Baritone

I've had two PRS Mushoks and a Gibson Bari SG during the time I have owned this, and they've all gone while it's stayed. I won't say it's a better guitar than the other ones, but the guitar-per-dollar here can't be beat. I can play it fearlessly, and it's got years of my literal blood and sweat in its crevices. All other things aside, this is my guitar, it's seen me through many of the most formative and intense performances of my life.

Right now it's got an Avedissian Night Prowler and BKP Supermassive (it Most Certainly Is), each of which cost more than the guitar did new. They sound great but also I thought it would be funny. SD Distortion quacked like a duck in the bridge and I hated it. Had some cheap Dragonfire P90s before that were totally okay.

I have fought this guitar a lot. Replaced lots of hardware, basically everything but the tailpiece and tuners, which I actually like a lot. I broke a lot of it before I replaced it, I'm hard on my stuff. I have groused about the bridge H/B position and tried to "upgrade" to the Mushok and SG to mediate that issue, always to find this guitar had better sustain, neck feel, and all-important familiarity. I've finally gotten to a point where I'm happy with the sounds I get out of it. The muddy bridge is part of its uniqueness, and I have come to love it for its idiosyncrasies, even the weirdly-matched wood top.

I would never sell it, it's worth far more to me than it ever would be to anyone else, but I do get a laugh imagining how much I might be able to ask for it on Reverb right now with the Adam jones sigs out.

[​IMG]

Here's a clip in Drop A. Signal chain is bridge>Arrows>BBRI RAT>Rat King(ha ha rodent go brrrrrrrrrr)>Pharaoh>X100b>laundry

zappatton2 and IbanezDaemon like this.
  8. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I bought this Dean USA Soltero a few years back. A seriously good guitar, excellent build quality and sounds immense! Really cool soft V neck profile...very comfy. Downside: Bit of a back breaker coming in at 11.2lbs. The USA models were limited to 100 pieces and can be very pricey. The Japanese built Soltero's are a great option and way more easier on your wallet.

1dean (2).jpg
    1dean2 (2).jpg

9. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

A thousand times yes on the solteros!!

I really wish Dean still made those. And the Japanese ones are super hard to find.

I had a Korean solteros which was pretty awesome, just th hard v neck was really weird. The Japanese have Rounded neck, but alas, far too difficult to find :-/

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  10. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

It's been a huge dream of mine to own a Black Gibson Les Paul Custom, never saw myself spending that kind of cash so I went with a Greco LP Custom style, super sick guitar. Added locking tuners, a string butler so the strings could pass straight through the nut, and that's been a huge difference in tuning, It's currently a 1 pickup 1 volume 1 tone, the rest are dummy parts. Bridge pickup is a cheap Dragonfire Screamer which is surprisingly not bad. This one has small frets, which I didn't like at first, but now I got used to them... still wouldn't mind if it got a refret with big jumbo frets.
    imageedit_1_4735513418.jpg

11. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I have bought two sets of their p90s over the years, they're nothing special but shockingly decent sounding for the price.

Nice looking blacktop. I did always like the black beauty, I bet it'd look real swell in matte.

Breeding The Spawn likes this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Gibson in this thread looking for who else to sue.

chipchappy, USMarine75 and Robstonin like this.
  13. jwguitar

jwguitar SS.org Regular

I love those old Ibanez guitars. I used to own an L-5 hollow body copy from Ibanez. Unbelievable guitar! I don’t know what I was thinking when I sold it.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

"Hey guys, post your favorite Gibson Les Paul clone! bonus points if it looks exactly like a Les Paul!"

[​IMG]

USMarine75, Edika and Mathemagician like this.
  15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Mark Agnesi likes this.

USMarine75 and Mathemagician like this.
  16. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

ESP Navigator hands down. Should Gibson sue them the judge might just rule Gibson to be the cheap copy

[​IMG]

USMarine75, BMFan30, Samark and 3 others like this.
  17. Vinoo Matthew

Vinoo Matthew SS.org Regular

What a beauty!

MonsterCRX likes this.
  18. Vinoo Matthew

Vinoo Matthew SS.org Regular

What a beauty!

MonsterCRX likes this.
  19. Huzee

Huzee SS.org Regular

Love my expensive LP’s but my PRS 594 blows all them away - and I was never a PRS fan until the 594.

USMarine75 likes this.
  20. hazimwood

hazimwood Old Яomans

I'm in love with the Dean Zelinsky LaVoce. It's like an Ibanez S series in an LP style.