What is this new Polyphia song?

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Entertainment and media is more global now and the culture reflects that. Cool in the sense that we can zoom out and you're not as limited to localized/regional status quo, discouraging in the sense that it has a tendency to homogenize.

That embodies this band for me. The identity is this formula that aesthetically celebrates pop/TikTokish contemporary culture (think Tim) and at the same time trolls it (think Scott and Clay the drummer) - all played against the irony that they completely outclass the average pop outfit as musicians but have genuine aspirations to exist and succeed in the sphere, and do, which additionally pisses off a lot of prog nerds and metalheads. So I think I get it, I just don't think I care because I like each new release less and less.

It was obvious from their first EP/YouTube videos that they were going to be their own competition as players. So with that argument being a nonstarter, all that is left is the matter of personal taste. If you like this it doesn't make you a 13-year-old girl. If you don't, it doesn't make you gatekeeping neckbeard.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like Polyphia because they remind me that I am a cranky old man that can't get along with no damn children.

They're clearly extremely talented and creative, and I like the music more than I hate it, but the whole image and branding of the brand and the music is just... again, I feel like a grandpa sitting on a rocking chair on their porch threatening everyone with his shotgun to get off his lawn. And I don't like that I can't put proper words to it.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Entertainment and media is more global now and the culture reflects that. Cool in the sense that we can zoom out and you're not as limited to localized/regional status quo, discouraging in the sense that it has a tendency to homogenize.

That embodies this band for me. The identity is this formula that aesthetically celebrates pop/TikTokish contemporary culture (think Tim) and at the same time trolls it (think Scott and Clay the drummer) - all played against the irony that they completely outclass the average pop outfit as musicians but have genuine aspirations to exist and succeed in the sphere, and do, which additionally pisses off a lot of prog nerds and metalheads. So I think I get it, I just don't think I care because I like each new release less and less.

It was obvious from their first EP/YouTube videos that they were going to be their own competition as players. So with that argument being a nonstarter, all that is left is the matter of personal taste. If you like this it doesn't make you a 13-year-old girl. If you don't, it doesn't make you gatekeeping neckbeard.

What if I actually am a 13 year old girl with a neckbeard?

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now featuring 7 strings (oh and Steve Vai). Also still full of annoying electronic glitches and drum samples.

The further they stray from their original sound, the more I like them :lol: That and Vai guest solos draw me in to any song. Speaking of, the parts he contributes to this are so contextually well done. He's one of the few guys who to me seems like he really gives a shit about his part in any song, but still makes sure it matches the music. Scott LePage's solos in this were also sick af.

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
I feel like their main hooks are getting more generic and samey. Stuff like GOAT or ABC have completely distinct sounds, but if you played Playing God, Neurotica or Ego Death with a gun to my head and told me to tell you which one it is I would not be able to. IDK I think they just need to spend a bit more time in the writing room - it's pretty obvious when they do.

BenjaminW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw this on Guitar World and was excited until I heard the song.

Would love to know where Tim Henson gets his clothes/learned to dress like that.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The Vai collab sounds exactly as it says on the tin. A typical Polyphia song with Vai playing on it. Still I appreciate Vai's whammy antics, and I do like that Scott LePage is rocking a Xiphos.

I also love the panning camera shot that introduces Vai. Just a great pan done really well.

the ABC song makes me want to commit sudoku.

fetchimage

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What was that Tim was playing? An 8 string J custom with trem? Why is no one talking about that on the interwebz? (At least, I don't think I miscounted the strings....)

EDIT: Well, I miscounted the strings. The neck looked wider on my phone, haha.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Scott's contributions have been on point for the new material, he is amazing

Curious: what do readers of this thread consider Polyphia's "original" sound?

I would argue that Muse was their "sound" and the New Levels New Devils/Most Hated was the pivot into where they are now. I wouldn't consider Inspire their original sound it was just kind of where they started and they didn't want to be metal/djent beyond that.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They were pretty much an unknown group to me (and probably many others) before G.O.A.T which was released back in 2018.
I don't love them nor do I hate them - I just don't jam with their music.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score

I would argue that Muse was their "sound" and the New Levels New Devils/Most Hated was the pivot into where they are now. I wouldn't consider Inspire their original sound it was just kind of where they started and they didn't want to be metal/djent beyond that.
Their "original" sound to me will always be the EP with vocals as it's the first that I heard from them, and it completely blew my mind back then (10 years ago?).

_Peak_ Polyphia however will always be the Impassion solo for me. Some of the most tasteful licks & runs I've ever heard, great tone and generally just good composition:

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tim has a making of video for Playing God wherein he says Wes Hauch came up with Scott's first solo and the bossa nova change section. I love Wes and that first solo so that's fun. Didn't know those guys hang out.

teamSKDM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
polyphias venture into pop music has shown me that over complicating the genre just makes it harder for regular people to digest and does not work in the genres favor. all the small intricacies and percussive elements are totally lost to a regular listener of music.

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ren

I think Renaissance was their best 👌

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
Their "original" sound to me will always be the EP with vocals as it's the first that I heard from them, and it completely blew my mind back then (10 years ago?).

_Peak_ Polyphia however will always be the Impassion solo for me. Some of the most tasteful licks & runs I've ever heard, great tone and generally just good composition:

This was the first ever video I found of theirs back in 2014/2015(?) and was blown away. I absolutely fell in love with their stuff. Loved the EP and then Muse. Then Renaissance came out and I was very turned off but was still hopeful. Then everything after Renaissance just completely lost me.