What is this insane sound?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Listen to the video at around 2:46 to 2:54

Theres this long, drawn out, open note with an insane sounding gain structure.

What is this? I don't think its from a pedal or even the gain being maxed out.
    Is it just from absolutely BLASTING an amp and pushing the power section?

http://youtu.be/rqYE9kYYtkQ?t=2m46s

2. incinerated_guitar

incinerated_guitar SS.org Regular

Sounds like a feedback loop. I used to be able to create sounds like that with the one on my old fuzzrocious rat king.

3. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Maybe a couple of delay pedals at the minimum delay setting, full mix and zero regen.

4. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Watched that all the way through,
    was kinda like Behemoth or something but without the blastbeats.

...can't help but think i'd like it a lot more if it was about 2x faster :D :shred:
    (i don't know why, but i always like my metal fast).

Other than that, i liked that tone a lot! What's he using there?

5. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Just kinda sounds like a really tight reverb after the gain, maybe added post?

Just watched a couple of the bands videos, its like they are stuck in a permanent state of break down....

6. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I'm also interested in opinions on this tone.

I am taking a guess that there is some heavy fuzz effect on that part.

7. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Sounds like a distorted (fuzz, amp, whatever) guitar with a bit of slow, metallic flanging. Not all flangers will do that metallic sound, so you'd have to find one that does. And if recording, you may want to bring it in in parallel rather than putting right on the track.

8. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Ill have a mess around with the helix tonight and see if I can reproduce it, my thoughts were it was either being run parallel or post too.

9. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Pretty sure thats a fuzz

10. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Personally I thought that sounded like a guitar slowed way the .... down, then pitch shifted back up to the right octave, but a flanger with the right settings, or the delay ideas people have had could be it, too.

I don't think it's a fuzz, though. However, based on the attack of the second note, multiple short, stacked delays sound like they might be the answer

11. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Not all of their songs on the album are like that but, for the most part, yeah. They're a "beatdown"/deathcore band. I think they tune to drop D but an entire octave down

12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

If thats a fuzz, I need to buy that fuzz pedal ASAP.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

My guess is that it was done in the studio, by playing around with the interplay between two or more tracks, possibly the same tracks.

I've gotten a similar tone with my Flashback delay by setting on slapback mode and the delay at nearly zero with the mix turned up a bit. Basically, it creates two tracks that are so close to each other in time that it sounds like a thicker, "grindier" tone with flanger-like overtones.

It does sound very cool though, whatever they did!

14. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

15. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Not even at the show and I immediately want to throat punch the dude thrash dancing around at the front of the stage, 1 chill out, 2 you dont need to "own" that much of the venues floor space, 3 the band is not sitting there thinking "oh hey this is our raddest fan ever lets take him home with us", 4 everyone in the room thinks you are a giant douche....

16. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Back OT, is it possible that hes using a delay with an expression pedal to strike a chord and then bring the delay time right down?

17. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

WOW! They actually do it live! I have to figure this out now. Anyone know how to directly send someone a message on youtube? Maybe I can reach them through their channel

18. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Ok so best I could replicated on the helix was a tremolo running in parallel to the signal chain, after the amp, max the trem speed and intensity and a little boost on the volume. Each trem model gave a very different sound but the basis of the effect seemed to be there for me. I could be way off, anyone else have any other ideas and ill give it a whirl. I tried adding some delay before and after the trem, no good, and a reverb at the end, just kinda got chaotic but I may have been chasing the wrong approach...

Edit: Also just tried flanger at a really slow rate and it was giving similar overtones, I dunno much about flanger and how the parameters work for some of the models so bit out of my depth there...

19. TamanShud

TamanShud Finished

I'm sure they use this tone at least once or twice with Infant Annihilator, it sounds almost like +1 and +2 octaves up blended with the original guitar.

Judging from that live video it seems like they're using Axe FX so it wouldn't be too hard to run a patch for something like that.

20. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It almost sounds like what happens when you time-stretch digital audio- it kind of pulls apart creates that unsettling stuttery/"aliased" sound. A good example is NIN's "Self Destruction, Final" remix where the riff gets slowed-down gradually and definitely sounds like this until it becomes granular noise.

At the same time- and perhaps how it can be recreated live if the former method was used in the studio- I agree with those who said that it could be flanger on low settings. Like Nirvana's "Scentless Apprentice".