What is the point of all this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JosephAOI, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

I think the issue for me is that, while I know that this will happen, I have no comfort in it. I have almost no faith that my life will be nothing but hard and painful and lacking any real substance of worth or happiness.

The idea of a family is the highest level of comfort I can think of that would make it the smallest bit of okay.

tacotiklah likes this.
  2. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

^ a big part of these next couple of years, assuming that death stays away that long, since tomorrow is a hope and not a guarantee, is going to be you trying to find your purpose in life. As I had mentioned to you before, don't stress it if you don't find the answer right this second. Often times you won't have a sense of direction until some random moment of clarity occurs. I spent a lot of my teenage years convinced that I was gonna be a video game developer. Then I randomly picked up the guitar one day and discovered that I'm pretty fucking good at it and as long as I kept at it, it would lead me down the path to where I should be in life. I lived under the delusion that it would lead me to fame, fortune, and happiness in the form of being a touring, shredding guitarist. Life once again bitch slapped me awake, and showed me a better alternative. I could learn all there is to know about the guitar and make my stake in life selling them to people. I could give them the tools to succeed in the same way that I got mine. Life consists of many forks in the road, and you have to make choices. Those choices will likely take you down a different path than you thought you would go. This can be a good or bad thing, and how it ends up as either is ENTIRELY up to you. But I digress, trying to find a "point" in it isn't beneficial either. Do it because you enjoy it and it makes you happy. In my case, I find fulfillment in bringing joy and happiness to other people and that's MY reason for living. :)

3. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

I think we get taught that we are supposed to be happy every second of everyday and that struggling or working towards what we want is a bad thing (see Mike Rowe's TED Talk on youtube). Our ancestors did nothing BUT struggle. It's when we are at our best.

4. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

I was 24 when I got with my girlfriend (now my wife). That's 24 years of wandering. I left home at 16, and drifted. Ended up in the Army for almost 4 years, dodged death a few too many times. Was homeless after I got out for a while...got married, quickly got divorced, drifted around...homeless again, lost friends, found new ones...got evicted from my house.

Instead of being homeless one more time, I took a chance and moved in with my new girlfriend. Before I settled down I lived every day for the memories, and sweet baby Jebus do I have some :lol:

It would be a plus if people remembered me when I die, but I've never counted on it. The thing that keeps me going, and keeps me in a remarkably good mood are the memories. I've made some killer music with some badass mother fuckers...that nobody will ever get to hear again. Either recordings got destroyed, or members turned tail, stole and ran, or whatever. I've met some of the best people in the world, and have met some of the worst. I've stared down a convicted murderer, and knew deep down inside myself that it was my time to die...with absolutely zero regrets...and walked away unscathed. I've thrown myself on my friends to shield them from rockets, mortars and enemy fire, knowing deep down inside myself it was my time to die...again...with no regrets...and walked away.

Worrying about what your legacy will be hints at a fear of death. I've never been afraid of death, and at times would have welcomed it with open arms. My life has been worth living because I know one day it will end, and I've done every damn thing I could to deserve it.

Things have changed for me, I have others that rely on me unconditionally. But I don't fear death. The end is coming, for me. One day this fucked up existence of mine will end...and all I'll leave behind are memories.

People will remember who I am, because of what I've done. I've always gone out of my way to help others. Shit, I'm raising two girls that aren't mine, but that doesn't matter to me. I love them, and treat them as if they're my own flesh and blood, because the deserve nothing less. I've treated other men and women as if they were my own brothers and sisters, and elders as my own mother and father, or aunts and uncles.

Have I ever been returned the favor? Very...very rarely. The cost of benefit ratio, in a material or tangible sense has been pretty poor...but that's never mattered to me.

Being remembered doesn't really mean anything to me...I'll be dead, but till the day I die, I'll always remember them...and that's what matters. What I've been able to do for others.

EDIT:
    I'm a high school dropout. My wife hold two Bachelors degrees and a Masters in Nursing, and is in charge of her own program with the hospital. Just a little food for thought.

5. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

No one can tell you what the reason for life is. Life is an individual experience, one perception of the world. Whether it matters to other people is irrelevant. Who gives a shit if no one remembers you one day? Take life as it happens. Don't think of what happens beyond death, as it is not important to you. Obviously it is in regards to you family, but as Epicurus said "I do not fear death, for when I am, death has not come, and when death has come, I am not". If you live your life as well as you can, treat people well, show love and respect, then you will touch their lives positively. You will have a positive impact on the world around you that will live on in their memories of you, and that is as close to immortality as you can get right now.

What you're having is an existential crisis, and it is something everyone gets plagued by at some or many points in their lives. To be honest, it's not worth worrying about. I do all the time, but I realise how stupid it is. The fact that nothing really matters beyond my own death is the exact reason it isn't worth worrying about. As long as I leave things in order with my family, and I know they are well, I don't care. Any legacy I leave behind in the form of things I create or influence is just a testament to the value I put in live.

6. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

It's one thing to dream, something else entirely to do. And you know what? Doing shit is hard, especially when there is a world of disracting stuff out there, and you're afraid you'll fail, so you just avoid your problems. It's so much easier to fail because you didn't try, than fail because you simply weren't up to the task. It's easy to be down on yourself and say that you can't accomplish anything. It's easy to just deem everything worthless and bemoan the futility of existence.

It may be easy, but it fucking sucks.

You need a goal, nothing major, just something to get you through the day. It can be as banal as 'clean my room' as long as it gives you something to do. If you just sit there then all your doom and gloom will absolutely come true.

7. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

Yeah, I find having lists of things I plan to do and then ticking them off makes me feel more optimistic. It builds up, and you do more things, be more productive.

But, this is all coming from someone who does not listen to his own advice. :lol:

8. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Why does it have to have a reason? Live it. Get educated, get laid, get swole. Whatever. If you're looking for reasons, have a chat with your local Mormons.

9. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Speaking of Mormons and memories...I've got a few badass stories about this hot little number I knew back in Texas :lol:

10. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

Ahh the point to life... that elusive bugger!

I always believed in science so I don't expect an afterlife for my 'soul', but right here right now I am occupying this very small piece of the universe I call 'me'. There is no underlying point to my existence that I know of but the fact I exist at all is amazing when you consider the journey undertaken over billions of years for me to now own my place within space.

It may not feel glamorous or even be what you'd hoped it would but life is (as they say) what you make of it. The Goal? To enjoy the relatively small amount of time you have been given in the universe, learn as much as you can, grow and evolve as a person so that if your lucky enough you can pass your life and experience on to your children through your physical DNA and your parental guidance.

Even when your gone part of you is going to live on through them and even if you are not able to pass on your genes what currently makes up your small piece of the universe will be returned and go onto become something new.

It's all pretty amazing stuff when you think about it...

Try not to dwell on it too much man, its a question that alot of us struggle to really ever answer, but a question we will never stop trying to answer. Some find religion and faith, some find family, some find madness and some find more questions. Just strap in make the most out of every moment you can and enjoy life.

Hope my drivel put even a small smile on your face, chin up!

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Who cares about what you leave other people? Live so you can enjoy what you do.

Just enjoy yourself.

I know the feeling, and it's a valid question for sure. You'll find someone that cares about who you are - not what you do. Thankfully, there are still people that understand that a person is not defined by their job.

To have fun :yesway:

12. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

[​IMG]

This picture says it all. ;)

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Because you enjoy it :) That's the only way to look at it, in my opinion.

14. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

The point of living IS living. Experiencing, learning from, and enjoying life is the point.

The world is fucking awesome, and you should always remember that you are incredibly lucky to be alive and able to go out and see/feel/hear/taste/smell such amazing things.

Fuck, everything is so kickass! Go play with a kitten or a puppy or go crank your guitar up or go jogging by a lake or something!

15. Amonihil

Amonihil Lurker

Take a day off and just do stuff that YOU want to do.
    Whether it´s playing guitar, listening to music, eating, TV, jerkin off, sleeping etc...just do what YOU want to do.
    I´m currectly going in and out of depression and my form of therapy is a mix of listening to metal and watching Dr Phil, I feel better when I focus on others problems instead of my own and doing things just for me.

Find something that makes you happy/motivated to continue doing it and do it over and over again.
    Want to be remembered? Do something to be remembered.
    Don´t do it tomorrow, don´t do it next week, do it now.

What you do in life may affect others lives more than you think.
    Remember history class? Anne Frank wasn´t famous until after her death even though she´d just left a diary after her we still know her name.

Life is only meaningless if you make it meaningless.
    And if you fail, someone might pick up were you started and make something of huge significance while giving you credit.

16. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Nothing does matter, you are right... at least from our current 4 dimensional perspective. You have no idea if life after death is real, I think it is because I was visited by a friend who died at 20 years old and it was the most real experience.

That aside, yeah it all does seem pointless, but I think the point is to try and make it as enjoyable or manageable as we can. Life can be wonderful, fun, and beautiful... and it can also be pure misery and suffering. I've been through depression plenty and it's no joke when those commercials for pharmaceuticals say "depression hurts" cause it sure does. Today I lost my best friend of 16 years because his new girlfriend of less than a year, whom forced him into engagement, got butthurt that I made a light hearted joke on a Facebook photo he posted wearing "Top Gun" glasses. Really, over that???? And she cursed me out!! He was the best man at my wedding and my wife and I paid all expenses to take him to Hawaii with us cause he can't manage a decent job ever.

You have to try and do something that makes you happy and stop focusing on the negatives, though I know I know... much harder said than done. So yeah, there does appear to be no point to anything... what if an asteroid destroys our whole planet in 20 years and nothing survives from mankind's long rich history? But what are you gonna do, walk around refusing to do anything based on that? No one will want to be around you and you'll just feel even worse. Enjoy life while you can. And as far as high school, so what! I dropped out and have nothing more than a GED and I've been working for law firms, 2 over the past 13 years, and I'm currently doing over 70K. That's not much by any means but I'll tell you I pay all my bills, have no financial worries, and traveled all around the world and still am. Just booked our Spring Hawaii trip this morning, gonna be 5th time there.

I see many more people, family too, that have college degrees making far far less than I am so don't fret too much about that aspect. Best of luck man.

Rev.

17. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

yeah good stuff - definitely helps to have stuff to look forward too, be it a vacation, band practice, gigs, or getting off work and resting.

Remember its all relative - sitting aroundf doing nothing sucks, until you've worked 12 hours straight, then it's straight bliss!!

18. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

There is no point beyond what you make. You make your own meaning of life.

19. EdgeC

EdgeC Songs in C#

In my view, life has little to no meaning whatsoever. And this is exactly the reason we have religion. To fill this desire for an explanation and some form of meaning or purpose. But to some, we become aware that religion falls painfully short in this respect. Living to please god in some universal test?

Please....

I was a high-school dropout with no real prospects or relationships and then one day out of nowhere I am at a gig near where I live and notice this chick wearing a Pantera t-shirt. Long story short we've been together for 15 years and are now married with two kids and we both have successful careers.

This all came from absolutely fucking nowhere. But if I wasn't there indulging in my passion for heavy music it may not have turned out the way it did.

So you get 5 minutes in the grand scheme of existence.

Rather than focusing on what the point is, accept the fact that you are here, for whatever reason, and focus on how you would like to spend the time you've got. This could be a trial and error process for while but at least you’re out there doing shit and you never know where that will take you.

And that is why even after 31 years I’m still excited to see what's going to happen next. :yesway:

20. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I used to be morbidly fascinated with that thought process as well. Honestly I had thought about it quite a bit in my younger years and ultimately I concluded that I would never be able to fathom my personal impact, but I could know the generality that my existence impacts everyone I come into contact with, for better or ill. When I made that realization I decided to try and always strive to make my impact on others good. I think about that as well whenever the random suicidal thought creeps in. There is nothing more selfish and least useful to those around you than offing ones' self.

I think Neil deGrasse Tyson says it best though:

“The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation. For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson's response on Reddit when asked "What can you tell a young man looking for motivation in life itself?"

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments...”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson