What is the Biggest Modern Rock Band?

DXL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
By modern rock I mean post-90s (or at least got big in the 90s). I'm torn between RHCP and Green Day but I feel like there's still no way that they're the biggest. Is there anyone that I'm forgetting or that is a lot bigger than they seem?

Promit

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I believe these are US-only numbers that I found. For 2000-2009, the top selling rock bands (out of the top 20 overall) were:
The Beatles (27.6M, don't count)
Linkin Park (21.1M)
Creed (20.4M)
Nickelback (19.2M)
Metallica (18.5M, don't really count)

In single album US sales from 2002-2012 or so:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way (~8M)
Evanescence - Fallen (7.6M)
Nickelback - All The Right Reasons (7.6M)
Green Day - American Idiot (6.1M)
RHCP - Stadium Arcadium (6ish? Not seeing exact numbers)
Linkin Park - Meteora (5.9M)

Yes, Evanescence. I didn't see it coming either. Only the one album though, and then everyone stopped caring. U2 is huge internationally but they don't seem to make the US lists, plus they're really not a 90s group.

These numbers are world-wide overall single album sales:
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (27M)
Linkin Park - Meteora (20M)
Green Day - Dookie (20M)
Evanescence - Fallen (17M)
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (15M)
Green Day - American Idiot (15M)

Overall worldwide:
* Coldplay: ~80M
* RHCP: ~80M
* Green Day: ~75M
* Nirvana: ~75M
* Linkin Park: ~68M
* Pearl Jam: ~60M
* Creed: ~53M
* Nickelback: ~50M
* Limp Bizkit: ~40M
* Korn: ~35M

I'm not sure this data is comprehensive. All the same, you now have my permission to despair.

Science_Penguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, I know the biggest one I like is Muse. Don't have numbers to back it up, but, they still play huge venues all over the world.

Fall Out Boy I know still gets Pop radio play to this day with their current Maroon 5-ish sound, but I dunno if they count as Rock anymore... same goes for Imagine Dragons and Fun.

Again, no numbers to back it up, this is just my personal observation.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Slipknot is pretty big, but a while ago there was something in Italy where hundreds of people played a Foo Fighters song together. I guess for a day, that was the biggest rock band.

Actually, coming up this August, someone is putting together a band in Sioux City, Iowa, to consist of over 750 guitarists, bassists, keyboardists, vocalists, saxophone players, and drummers. If you want to be a part of the biggest band ever, that'd be your chance.

Oh wait, I think I may have missed your meaning. :lol:

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Foo Fighters maybe?
I third this. There may be others that sell better, but I feel like the Foo Fighters really embody the best of the modern radio rock sound.

I do think rock is sort of in a lull right now. There is a lot of interesting stuff happening in rock music right now, but its all relatively underground. We haven't had a really fresh sounding rock band get big in a while. I think its pretty overdue as most super popular rock bands are pretty bland right now imo.

EDIT: Actually I think indie rock (as broad and meaningless of a term as that is) is very popular and probably where the most relevant new popular rock music is. Even it's been around for a while though and I think we're due for a new twist.

sharedEQ

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pure rock is dead.

Women tend to gravitate towards the same things, men explore different things. This is why pop music is so big and probably forever into the future. There is power in numbers. Teen girls are more likely to buy albums than men in their 20s who are downloading or pirating music.

Demi Lovato had a hit a few years back "Cool for the Summer" (I think) that was crossover pop/rock. It had a rockish sound with a very pop sheen. I think the future of rock will be embedded in pop. Kind of in the same way that 80s/90s rock bands would sometimes fit funk and blues into their repertoire.

Foo Fighters and all those other old white man bands are dying out.

Nickleback is probably the most successful at walking the line between rock and pop (while still being considered rock), yet they are an old band.

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
Would U2 belong in this category?

Overall worldwide:
* Coldplay: ~80M
* RHCP: ~80M
* Green Day: ~75M
* Nirvana: ~75M
* Linkin Park: ~68M
* Pearl Jam: ~60M
* Creed: ~53M
* Nickelback: ~50M
* Limp Bizkit: ~40M
* Korn: ~35M

I can understand all of these numbers except for RHCP. They're in that strange category of "really big band whom I've never a met a single person who is more than ambivalent about them".

ArtDecade

Tartuffe
Reaction score
I can understand all of these numbers except for RHCP. They're in that strange category of "really big band whom I've never a met a single person who is more than ambivalent about them".

ec9e1848994148dcc86958fbfd6657c9

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In terms of who I consider to be rock and roll Foo fighters for sure. I don't listen to them but there's no doubt Dave Grohl is the bona fide MutherF'n rock star of our generation

even though their last 5 or so albums have sucked, on sales and profile I'd have to go with RHCP

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Slipknot is pretty big, but a while ago there was something in Italy where hundreds of people played a Foo Fighters song together. I guess for a day, that was the biggest rock band.

Actually, coming up this August, someone is putting together a band in Sioux City, Iowa, to consist of over 750 guitarists, bassists, keyboardists, vocalists, saxophone players, and drummers. If you want to be a part of the biggest band ever, that'd be your chance.

Oh wait, I think I may have missed your meaning. :lol:

Liek