What is the best value hardtail 6 string sub $1k??

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Your post got me digging through Charvel's site (I had previously been quite interested in the Duplantier model) and I stumbled upon this guy:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...l-pro-mod-so-cal-style-2-24-ht-hh-satin-black

25.5" scale, locking tuners, fishman pickups, roasted maple neck, luminlays, hardtail.. Might be one of the best at this price point I've seen!

Yup that was one of the first that came to mind I was just too lazy to post links lol. I've had the white one in my cart for awhile!

jl-austin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is a Charvel DK24 HT (satin black, 24 fret) hard tail for $900 (ebony board, Duncan pickups). It is a Strat, and good luck finding one, and good luck putting it down if you do find one.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an Ibanez RGRT421 which cost me £309 as a b-stock. They’re not much more than that new now... through neck, great build quality. I swapped out the pickups because I didn’t really like the Quantums it came with, but some people do like them. Even with a pickup swap though you’re looking at £500 or thereabouts. Bargain!

There are plenty of Jackson Soloists and Dinkys around that price range too, and quite a few hardtail options

Bordcla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You just reminded me of the PRS S2 Satin Singlecut models they had out a few years back! Definitely wanted one of those.
Hard to find though.

As for the LTD.. I couldn't ever do it :lol:

Not sure what's up with the LTD for you, but I got my first LTD EC this year and it slays. Neck is too flat but other than that, the guitar is awesome. Sounds and plays more like 3K than 1K. Fret job and neck are stellar.

I also have a PRS S2 singlecut standard. It is also unbeatable for the price, as long as you don't mind the short frets. If it had tall frets, I could make that my only guitar ever and be happy still.

Voodoo Marshall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude, there is so much out there. I was just talking with my buddy who's a rep for a lot of very high-end and boutique brands. He was saying that the $1,000-$2,000 range is absolutely DEAD because almost every brand has something great in the $600-$1,000 range. Everyone has upped their game in this price range. With the exception of occasionally being stocked with shitty pickups, there are not many clunkers in this price range (and most are stocked with good to very good P/Us).

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Or just buy a used prestige HT (surprised that no one mentioned it earlier since this is SSO)

Just hadn’t made it in here yet.

Ibanez RGA121. Bought my last two for well under a grand. I’m not even an Ibanez guy but these things slay hard for what they cost used, hold their value too. Just a super solid guitar for the $.

I got my last one with Black Winters in it for $600 with a case, and it’s in my top 3 and gets played all the time, I take it on the road with me when I travel for work.

14A3F5BA-5FF2-4D1C-8B3E-EA6279B5D83C.jpeg

Next for me would be ESPs. For a little more than your price point you can snag a lifer. My Viper is my #1 and goes nowhere ever, perfect neck, perfect weight. Fantastic guitars.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
That's the kind I build, but with 22 fret necks, 16" radius, hardtail, hot pickups, etc.. I like the different look of having a tele shaped shredder.

6W7kTde.jpg

Lsr7fUs.jpg

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
Kinda like asking what's the best value sedan for under $60k. I don't think there's going to be an answer that isn't based on subjective opinion. You'll just get people chiming in with every possible contender in the segment.

dbrozz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kinda like asking what's the best value sedan for under $60k. I don't think there's going to be an answer that isn't based on subjective opinion. You'll just get people chiming in with every possible contender in the segment.

That's fine. That was kind of the point.
I was doing this to gauge the current state of the market in that price range from a group of people with similar tastes. Haven't seen any recommendations for Gretsch or Guild yet so were good! :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a MIJ '78 greco LP for $899cad in Toronto. Buy that. :yesway:

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably a used Prestige of some kind

If you need cheaper I say grab an Agile if you’re in the US. They kick serious ass for the money imo

If you’re okay with TOM bridges then I say go with ESP LTD.

If you want a schecter, the newer the better imo. My KM-7 MK-1 came set up like garbage and couldn’t hold tune to save its life so anything from that year +\- 2 years I stay far away from unless I can try it in person.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any desired specs to narrow it down? (number of frets, scale length etc.)

I'm very much biased to Ibbys, but I would definitely go for a used Prestige hardtail RG/RGA at that price-point.
Although I said "used", I actually got a brand new RG652FX for £935 last summer in a stock clearance...it definitely pays to shop around. Also, the Genesis RG521 or a fixed bridge Axion/Iron Label is sub $1k.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
If you want to buy a used prestige for under 1k I hope your delorean's flux capacitor is running

Edit: I just checked reverb, I guess they're out there. But most of the time when I find one on CL or FB it's never under 1k

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want to buy a used prestige for under 1k I hope your delorean's flux capacitor is running

Edit: I just checked reverb, I guess they're out there. But most of the time when I find one on CL or FB it's never under 1k
There's a difference between how much people list them for and how much they actually sell for.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For 1000 or less the PRS SE Holcomb comes to mind. Ibanez JBM10FX (jake bowne's sig). Jake's especially is nice as it has his signature titan pups and gotoh locking tuners. ESP LTD has several guitars the SN-1000HT, the TE-1000 black blast. If you don't need a neck pick up the LTD Arctic metal or black metal series is a great option. Charvel I'd say the Pro Mod So-Cal style 2 hard tails would be great. Loaded with fishman classics. And then WAY off the beaten path the harley benton amarok 6 string is also a great option. Neck-thru, stainless frets, emg hot 70's pups, locking tuners. Even imported from overseas I think i priced it still at or just below 800 bucks.