What is the best "cheap" guitar that you have owned?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Koppas, May 22, 2016.

1. metale

metale SS.org Regular

All my guitars are cheapies :D

Best as in "best specs, fit and finish for what it costs" it's the JS32-7Q:
    [​IMG]

Best as in raw power and sustain, like "let me just tear that wall down", the Epiphone:
    [​IMG]

Best as can-do-everything, extremly flexible guitar and best-sorted, the white Squier:
    [​IMG]

2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

This is pushing the limits of "cheap" I think but as far as playing and sounding great, the Iron Label S series was top notch. It had some flaws in the build like wonky pickups routes, but man it was a joy to play. I'm still not sure why I sold it - If i did not already have my RG921 I never would have.

[​IMG]

A close second is my first guitar, a Fender Squire II. I still have the guitar sort of, my beater strat uses the maple neck from it.
    [​IMG]

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Godin Freeway Classic. Less than $500 new (Canadian), purchased 2004 or 2005, plays as well (out of the box) if not better than any guitar I've ever played (Gibson, PRS Core, Fender USA, etc.) with top quality construction.

4. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

My LTD EC400AT (les paul thickness eclipse) - got it for $200 because it had a ding on the back and it's been one of my best players. In fact, all my ltd's have been awesome guitars. they've also all been MIK, however.

5. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

My Korean 2004 Ibanez RG321BKF. Good enough to justify putting BKPs in, although I did have the pots and jack swapped out as they were crackly. Never parting with it as long as I'm alive.

6. LTigh

LTigh Banned

Gotta be the factory 2nd Omen Extreme 7 I got from Gear Orphanage.

Despite being a second, only thing "wrong" with it is a couple of sanding scuffs underneath the finish on the lower end of the back side of the body that it took me a high-powered flashlight and a lot of looking to find.

Also, the frets aren't quite as well-finished as the ones on the MIK and MIJ guitars I've had, but they're very serviceable.

That being said, plays like a dream, wonderful tones (yes, even with the stock pickups that everyone seems to hate), so much so that I'm having second thoughts about the pickup swap I wanted to do (Nazgul/Sentient), looks purty to boot.

Then again, I have it tuned to dropped F#, so that may mitigate some of the harsh and glassy tones people seem to associate with the stock (import) Schecter pickups.

7. zeropoint

zeropoint SS.org Regular

Jackson JS22-7. I feel like I got a really good one. I play it over my Ibanez S series 7 most of the time, and it feels better than my old RG 7621 as well.

8. BigBadAl

BigBadAl Too old to Mosh

Most of my "cheap guitars" have been utter crap , but about 7 years ago I lucked upon a "B" stock Schecter Damien Special on E-Bay.

It has 2 binding/purfling problems , and a funky quilted top.
    for about $400 w/ shipping it has been a wonderful workhorse for me , Re-ignited my passion for playing.

I just had to get rid of the EMG Hzs in it , and after a multitude of different pups I settled with some equally cheap GFS Crunchy Pats.

and voila easy as that the GAS settled in for more expensive guitars , and a mind numbing ability to scour E-bay for hours , and hours.

9. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

My Peavey Wolfgang Special... bought it new in 1997 for $600. There's a reason why bands like Soilwork use these to record in the studio.

Also, my 6-string ESP LTD F-2005 and EC 30th anniversary guitars. EMGs, SS frets, ebony, each for about $300 used. Same quality, or better, than other LTD's that go for almost $1k.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For 7-string, I would say my Schecter Loomis 7FR for $700 new. It was one of the cheapest sevens at the time and IMO the playability and tone rival most of the high end sevens that I have (or have played).

10. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Jackson ps4 after a pickup swap.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I only ever once bought a cheap guitar I regretted buying: a mid 1990's Epiphone LP-whatever. The guitar slowly disintegrated on me, and I ended up forsaking my love of the LP style over it.

The cheapest electric I had ever bought was a Teisco Del Ray, for $30. There was nothing wrong with it, aside from looks.

But the best bang for the buck, for me, was a Dean AV7 (seven string) I bought for $99. Looked great, played great, sounded great, felt great, under a hundred bucks. I had no idea why more people didn't buy them.

12. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

My old Jackson js22-7 was an awesome guitar for 180 brand new. Hardtail, 26.5 inch scale 7 with a maple fretboard? Hell yeah. I kinda want another one just to have.

13. ck3

ck3 6 is not enough

Though not dirt cheap, my pick would have to be the 2006 Schecter S-1 Elite that I purchased new during the year of its release and have continued to use (with stock pickups) to this very day. It has been dubbed "Cleatus", sounds amazing in Eb standard tuning with all forms of gain, and will likely be in my collection for many years to come.

Another affordable brand I've tried to like in recent years (since making the transition to ERGs) has been Agile, though there have always been issues with build quality, electronics, etc. with all Agiles I've owned, and many were flipped or returned.

14. Zinter

Zinter Canuck Guitar Tech

I got a 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard a few years back with a nice amber/yellow flamed top for $100 in new condition off kijiji (canadian craigslist) and put in some Gibson pickups with new pots, flipped the magnet in the neck one and had a GaryMoore-mobile. After a fret dress it sets up with lower action than my Gibsons... :scratch:

[​IMG]

15. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

MIK Squier circa 1986. Very good.

16. vibrantgermancities

vibrantgermancities SS.org Regular

The old Korean Parkers were absolutely top notch. I've got two of the two-knob 6-in-a-line PM20 Hornets and they are utterly fantastic - only paid circa £200 for each. Pickups were a little weak in one, but other than that they're just super-playable.

17. kyrthon

kyrthon SS.org Regular

My first electric was a Yamaha SE 150 and it was my main guitar for 20+ years. Still have it but it needs a fret job badly.

18. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

No question my LTD MH100-QMNT. It feels and plays amazing, and once I replaced the ....ty stock pickup in the bridge with an SH-5 Duncan Custom it sounds amazing too.

19. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

My Indo Made Heafy LPC 7. :wub:

20. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

i stumbled my way into a '93 or so Ibanez RT that has become my 'control' guitar. even selling a prs i just picked up because it doesn't do as much for me as my $300 ibby strat experiment..