What is great about C?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by X1X, Mar 8, 2021.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Brits call it "mind the gap" tuning.

Neon_Knight_ and c7spheres like this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

It's probably one of those things to just play it and not think to hard. Using BADGBE would be nice for fat 7th chords maybe?
    - My excuse to not try new tunings is that I have a Lo Pro so I don't have time for differnt tunings. :lol:
    - Maybe I should buy one of those new Fender Acoustisonic JazzMasters so I can try these tunings. Sounds like a great excuse to me!

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  3. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

Different tunings is my excuse for having multiple guitars. Even a fixed bridge needs adjusting (truss/action) after a tuning change (and therefore string gauge change), so what else can I do? :shrug:
    I have various Edge tremolos, but haven't used my one Lo Pro much yet - got an RG8520 6 weeks ago, coincidentally because I didn't have a "spare" guitar for C tuning (although the RG8520 is going to end up in either E or Eb and I still have nothing set up in C haha!). What have you got?

c7spheres likes this.
  4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am pretty sure this is the tuning Soundgarden used on some stuff, like Rusty Cage.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  5. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Mastodon uses (or used to at least) a variation of that a full step down, AGCFAD.

BornToLooze likes this.
  6. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Mostly I just use when I want to play a 7 string song since all I have at the moment are 6 strings. I'll do that or a regular 7 string tuning, BEADGB depending on what notes I'm trying to fit in.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Dude, what are you talking about? If you tune to "A is 390", you are just running slightly flat to D standard. Your whole thing about making notes... Of course you can call an A by the name G or vice versa, it doesn't make you right.

Do the math, in 12TET, 390*2^(2/12) is 437.8 hz. So your "B note" is awfully close to the note everyone else on the planet calls an "A note". How close? Well, if you were to play the A as a 5th of the D at 293 hz, the "perfect" interval is off by 1 hz from the 2nd harmonic. You were off by just over 2 hz. For comparison, the major 3rd is off by 15-17 hz and is considered stable when compared to the 4th harmonic using 390 and 440 as the fundamental. And that is 2 octaves up, so to be fair, in the same octave that stable major 3rd is off by 4 hz or so. Honestly, I'm not sure a single human that listens to music can hear the difference between your A390 made up silliness and just calling it D standard. I'm not even sure you measured the 390 accurately enough to justify it isn't just D standard.

At least have the courtesy to call it tuning to 438 hz instead of 440 hz and not butcher the names of the notes by transposing everything. Ironically, you don't seem to know where the C is... No bonus points for you. (Trying to be funny, not rude with that last quip)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  8. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Just as a sidenote: It should be clear that Open-C is obviously the superior version of Drop-C if you are open to relearning all the scales you ever learned and are willing to abandon all pre-made string sets.

InfernalVortex likes this.
  9. Choop

Choop n______n

The 10-52 sets worked well for me in Open-C! Fun tuning...it made me write in a totally different way. It felt super strange to move back into playing in standard tunings.

c7spheres likes this.
  10. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

dude take a chill pill I’m not even reading this

11. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

If y’all haven’t figured out I was taking the piss! Sort of...

maybe the 432 ppl are right? Sum of Y’all 440 adherents sure are an uptighty bunch! Sheesh!

12. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

"I was only pretending to be retarded"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    SymmetricScars, StevenC and stevexc like this.