What is great about C?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by X1X, Mar 8, 2021.

1. X1X

X1X SS.org Regular

This is directed to 6-string players who tune down. I see C standard being fairly popular but B standard not so much. I guess this could be a wrong impression but... Arch Enemy went from B standard to C standard. What's up with C?

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Probably people think it sounds heavy without getting too muddy?

I think C and D are boring, I prefer C#. But they're really all too low for me, I play in E.

Luchilleus and wakjob like this.
  3. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

My two cents:

-I, for one, find the stuff I've made lends itself pretty well with my voice and what I'm comfortable with doing with both together.

-Different tunings and different keys can absolutely change the mood of a song, even if it's up or down by a semitone. This has helped at times in the middle of stagnating with writer's block over a riff or idea.

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Thick strings...regular scale length...in B/drop-A?
    Sounds mean. Chugs are fun... but it's just too much of a fight to get a clear sound sometimes.

Luchilleus, Neon_Knight_ and Samark like this.
  5. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

:hbang:

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I like the way an open Cmin sounds.

odibrom likes this.
  7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I'm normally a standard/D# guy, but I do have a soft spot for Drop C and C standard.

There's just something rad about it, especially when you're just chugging the hell out of it.

wakjob likes this.
  8. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

Because a long time ago in a galaxy far far away a guy named Jerry Cantrell made drop C sound more massive than anything before or since....my two cents. I could be wrong

9. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

I used to be an E standard player exclusively but recently discovered drop C and for me personally, it just hits that sweet spot of being heavy, powerful, and not muddy.

wakjob likes this.
  10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I always thought B was far more popular than C.

Funny enough, I have always played in E, D, or B. For some reason I never totally into C.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  11. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

Back in the day, in my area anyway, you couldn't really find a guitar string bigger than a 56. So C was cool because it felt tight enough. B was a bit floppy for me and my guitar playing buds...plus a lot of Swedish metal was in C so that was fun too.

12. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

One of my fav dm albums :D

nickgray likes this.
  13. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Early Fear Factory, Carcass, some Hypocrisy, and At the Gates used B standard a lot.

Earlier Hypocrisy and Godflesh both used C.

For a while, I tuned my Soundgear 5 string bass up a half-step to C to get rid of muddiness and fret slap. Cellos are tuned to C.....

Both tunings have merit. B standard is a nice substitute for a 7 string instrument for some occasions of rhythm playing. I keep my old B.C. Rich Platinum Virgin and Warlock in B and C respectively.

14. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Suffocation used C in their first few albums, but now they use C#. Weird to see a death metal band tune UP and stay there. Slipknot (drop B) and mushroom head (drop A) also used low tuning sand as far as I know have both came to drop C. I guess it's that perfect middle point of being heavy enough without having to jump through recording hoops to sound good. I also don't think 95% of fans ever notice.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

When Arch Enemy tuned up to C their guitar tracks got a lot clearer. B is the point where muddy frequencies start to come in and clash with the other instruments. Like In Flames it also stops them from sounding like At the Gates. Especially since they were both so influenced by them on earlier albums. Michael used B standard in Carcass so he may also have wanted to break away from B minor Carcass sounding riffs.

Another B standard and now Drop B band is Soilwork. Dark Tranquility occasionally use Drop B. Ember falls are drop B. Children of Bodom used Drop B for some songs on the last album, maybe second last too.

Zhysick likes this.
  16. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

B standard is good on a baritone guitar, and C, C# or D work well on a 26.5 scale. Can also be used on 25.5 scale and down with less success.

Look at it from a musical theory perspective (well sort of anyway, I’m not an expert.)

B is the same as E standard, A440, with the low string a 4th down from E so it works naturally.

C is the same as D standard in the same way, (A 432?) and C# would be the same as tuning down a 1/2 step to Eflat which is also common.

Lower tunings often work with more singers, as most people have lower vocal ranges than Tenor or Soprano.

Also from a historical perspective, a lower pitch is more accurate to orchestral and group music going back hundreds of years, as composers used many different (and lower than 440) tunings.

440 is a more recent standard and basically Nobody consulted with guitarists about it!

You really couldn’t tune a guitar with gut strings that high back in the day anyway, so in a sense we are regressing back to the way things should be, since it sounds so much better!

Everything moves in Circles (of 5ths) Eternally

432 all day? Nah... 420! :deathm:

Thorsday, Mathemagician and c7spheres like this.
  17. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I think it sits at that spot where it's low enough to 'improve' everything but not too low to make anything worse, muddy, have certain complex riffs lose their clarity etc. Also easy enough to do well with off the shelf strings - yes thicker sets are available but those mid-50s that you could very easily buy years ago handle C well.
    Honestly though I think trends are just stronger than anything - take a look similarly at early djent and G#. Get a few initial popular artists playing in a similar tuning and all the upcoming kids will be tuned like that to cover them and write that way in their bands

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This is a lot of words

19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Have you tried C?

20. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

I understood nothing about this. Where do you get that 432hz from? That A is still 440hz whether you change the tuning or not. Did I miss something? :scratch: