What is going on with Ibanez QC. Pics inside. What a Joke.

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by eightsixboy, Aug 17, 2017.

1. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Just received my RG852MPB. This guitar was never seen by a store btw, after I enquired about it at a few stores store one checked when the next shipment was due, which was this week, another stores said the same thing, the next day a store got the distributor to send a few pics of the only two that were on the shipment so I could choose a top I liked, it was then sent straight from the distributor to me, I got the guitar the next day.

So this begs the question, what is going on with there QC? Unless someone at customs or the distributor managed to ding multiple times and chip the guitar I can only assume they left Japan like this. Besides the obvious marks on the back there is what looks like some paint/marker used around the back cavity, some of which is actually smudged on the back of the guitar, this is clearly factory done.

This is also the second guitar this year alone I have bought that has rocked up straight from the distributor, unopened that has some form of damage. The guitar was a RG752 with a noticeable chip in the fingerboard. There was also a RG927 a few years ago where the first two rocked up with dents in exactly the same spot, the third one was ok.

This is also not including all the premiums and some prestige's I have seen in other stores this year that have had glaring QC issues, from poorly cut neck pockets, bad fretwork, wonky binding etc, all on guitars 2k and up.

Is it time to start looking at other brands?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    gif image host

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sir Ibanez likes this.
  2. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Pic 1: aww, not too bad.
    Pic 2: HOLY F*CKING F*CK

You would think they'd want to fill those voids in the burl. How that little patch saw no stain is beyond me. :ugh:

I love Ibbys, but I've always bought used. Looks like that isn't going to change.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    crankyrayhanky likes this.
  3. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

Yeah that's awful in pic #2!

4. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Tell me about it. Its like the finish just fell of or something. I doubt it was left unpainted. After doing more research on this finish it seems like it has the consistency or cork and is wafer thin. What a crap idea Ibanez.

The dings on the back and weird marker around the edges is what pissed me off the most. The dealer told me very clearly that they just unpacked the container and they were brand new. Something suss going on here that's for sure.

BangandBreach likes this.
  5. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

How the heck did the dealer not catch it? I am not absolving Ibanez for that awful QC, but there's no reason that thing should have been shipped to you like that.

6. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Looks like they are shipping this way to everyone, if you look closely at the pics from Sweetwater. I mean, I've seen Ibbys with burl tops in the past, but the finish technique was to fill the voids with their righteous filler/sealer goop that is nigh indestructible. It almost looks like they're trying (and failing) to emulate a thin nitro style finish on craggy wood.

7. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

burl tops that aren't top tier have always looked absolutely heinous to me. I can't believe Sweetwater didn't send that back and ask for another, and I would send yours back asap.

takotakumi likes this.
  8. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Kind of shocked to see that from an MIJ Prestige. 20+ years I've been buying Ibanez guitars, including a lot of their high end models, and I've never seen anything remotely similar.

I usually caution people to not let one bad item become a prevailing opinion... All companies have a certain QC level, but that is far beyond acceptable.

BangandBreach likes this.
  9. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

It never went to a dealer, it was sent straight from the supplier.

Well I think this finish is flawed, its apparently super thin and like cork, so its brittle. That on a basswood body is a very bad combo imo.

I got a refund in the end, I will never ever buy something sight unseen again and never a satin finish again.

Unfortunately this isn't the first issue I have had with their QC, most are fine but I have seen a drop in most brands lately, even some high end Schechter's and Fenders had some obvious issues, you don't get a lot for you $$$ as you did 10-15 years ago it seems.

Sir Ibanez and USMarine75 like this.
  10. Sir Ibanez

Sir Ibanez SS.org Regular

Oh, feel really sad, bro. That's not good. The guitar looks lightly used or B stock. It's time to call back to the distributor and get your money back actually. Or they must send you absolutely brand new guitar instead, with no issues.

11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Woof, that one's quite a lemon. Amazing that never got flagged as B stock.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

man...if that guitar was labeled b-stock and given a discount I think I'd be fine with the dings. Guitars gonna see worse then that after being in my hands for a few months...
    But the finish literally falling off the body..that's like c stock used pricing and even then...

BetterOffShred likes this.
  13. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

My mistake.

14. BigHandy

BigHandy SS.org Regular

Due to the black decolorizations on the wrecked finish parts, it rather seems that it has been burned by something. ?! By a flambe tool or similar...

15. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

That's a damn shame :(

16. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

According to Rich at Ibanezrules, Ibanez relies on the dealers to do QC. If that is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then going direct to the distributor is not the best place to buy.

kylendm likes this.
  17. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I think you're all overreacting, this is obviously just Ibanez's attempt to break into the Fender customshop "relic" market.

18. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

They are all like this, its like a stain or something they put over the burl holes. Its not burnt but I see what you mean.

This I can believe. I won't be buying anything I haven't inspected from now on.

It must be the way they operate over here or something, as someone else commented that most dealers will sell something online and just ship it from the distributor, its something they don't even have in stock, which is pretty terrible, putting it on the customer to go over guitars when they rock up cause no one in the country has even looked at it yet.

I never got relics, if you ding something up yourself and it has history its cool, but it you buy something dinged and beat up already and at an inflated price imo its just crazy.

Merrekof likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

I hate burl tops, they're very fragile unless properly filled/epoxied.

20. Kevcarnage

Kevcarnage Well-Known Member

oh man that's pretty bad. Just be pissed off when you call. They may send you a new guitar for free