What inspired you to play 7 strings?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by neantir, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

Indeed. ATHF owns. \m/

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Hell yes.
    Billy Witchdoctor.com prefer...chicken.

3. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

inspirations lately:
    Type O Negative
    Rammstein

4. bobthemerciful

bobthemerciful Member

Vai, Dream Theater (much later, wanted one for years before I heard of em) but mainly the fact of a low B!!!!

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No guitarist should be allowed to walk out of a music shop carrying a 7-string unless he or she is holding a copy of "Awake" as well. It's that simple.

:)

6. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Originally? Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel playing a UV in the God Of Emptiness video on "Beavis and Butthead". Course, I couldn't afford one at the time, so I just tuned a guitar down to B standard, but I missed my high string.

Awake and A Change of Seasons came out out, and I wanted one still. (It helped in the coming years that these were the last DT records I liked.)

Morbid Angel released Domination, and I saw them on tour, Trey had that damn UV of his and I was seriously drooling.

The RG7620 came out, and I had hope, but then I got fired and again could not afford a 7 string.

Nevermore made me want one even more than I had before. :p

Then they discontinued the RG7620, and I found a used one at a shop that I could afford. 7 string finally. :) I actually listen to more bands that tune down, than ones using the 7 string, it's just I hate re-stringing and re-tuning my 6 string RGs.

7. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

when someone walks out of a music shop after playing a 7-string and not buying, they should be sent home with a complimentary copy of Awake. :D

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No, they've obviously proved that they don't deserve a copy. Come on, man. ;)

-D

9. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

I have some similar experiences to some in this thread. I came up in the '90's listening to Metallica and Faith No More and Candlebox and HUGE amounts of Soundgarden. Soundgarden never used sevens, but they did use all kinds of wacky tunings on six strings, and they were a big inspiration to me, songwriting wise. Other than Korn, which I didn't really dig, I had never actually heard anyone playing a seven string that inspired me to try one. So there wasn't really an artist that made me want to use a seven.

One of the main things that did it for me was that I played bass in a band for six years, and it was a five string bass. It was fun coming up with harmony parts and such to counterpoint the six string guitar work, but sometimes I just wished the guitarist could follow me down.

Then that band broke up and I started writing and recording on my own, playing all the instruments (which I already knew how to do) and as I was looking for my main guitar a seven string seemed to me to be a natural companion to a five string bass, and a way to remove bounderies. Plus down tuning a six string really low can be a real pain.

I got my first seven and played it for five minutes and thought, "This neck is really wide." Then I played for five more minutes and thought "This is the freaking coolest thing I've ever played. I'm ruined now, I'll never go back to a six string again." And I never have.

I agree with what many have said, a six string feels like a toy now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.