What inspired you to play 7 strings?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by neantir, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty Member

Wanted to try some, in retrospect horrible, octave ideas based on the possibility of moving the same shape through three octaves. This worked fine. Long after that I discovered the possibility of moving air with heavy, bonecrushing chords. This worked fine too.

2. Prophecy420

Prophecy420 BEADGBE

3. Josh

Josh Guest

:lol: :agreed:

4. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

at first it was the slew of bay area bands in the mid 90's that were using them to copy Mr. Bungle and such. Sadly, that was a very a short lived fascination for me, and my RG7620 would end up collecting dust and functioning more as conversational piece than an actual instrument.

Now its thanks to a band called Unearth.

5. Prophecy420

Prophecy420 BEADGBE

Unearth rocks! :hbang:

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hate to say it, but the symmetry appealed to me- I thought it'd be cool to have a "middle" string. that, and my strat sounded ungodly tuned to low B. ;)

-D

7. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

Here's a name you all might not know?? Jimmy Bruno...he is from here in Philadelphia I have taken lessons from Jimmy and I also teach a lot of his fellow students, now some want the metal exsperience..He is a seven string jazz guitar player that is OBSOLUTELY the fastest sweeper on the planet :bowdown: ...and he does it clean pricise and with no distortion did i also mention he is over 60yrs old? ..he plays $20,000 :nuts: yes $20,000 Benedetto 7 string Jazz guitars...no effects and Raezor speakers with Clarion Power amps clean Jazz stuff here.....I have sat in with him a few times where he plays here in Philly every Fri night and there is not a Jazz stadard or Classic that he doesn't know he dares people at times to try and stump him...truley a master...Check out his web site and his cd "Burnning" Or "Live at Birdland"...www.jimmybruno.com

8. Vacant

Vacant Seven Strings

It all began about 8 months ago, when I heard my first Dream Theater song "The Glass Prison". I was hooked from there-on to DT, renounced all the bullshit I had been listening to (Metalcore etc :nuts: ) Really began the guitar. It inspired me to learn DT songs, even though I've only been weilding the guitar for a year, as well as pick up the mighty 7 string axe.
    Hail John Petrucci!!!

9. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

For me it was back in 1990(I think) when I walked into the music store and saw the UVMC and the UV7PWH right next to each other. They made all the other guitars look tiny. So I bought the UV7PWH on the spot. I didn't even know it was basically a "Vai" guitar. I just looked cooler. Then I saw a Suicidal Tendencies video (You Cant Bring Me Down) and Rocky George was playing the exact guitar I had. I felt so cool.

Ahhhh...to be young again.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Vacant- buy "Awake." DT with Jordan Rudess is good, but DT with Kevin Moore is beyond words, and there's some SERIOUS seven string crunch on that disc. ;)

-D

11. Vacant

Vacant Seven Strings

I've owned all DT albums since 3 weeks after my first listening to them -- and I know how to play Lie. No stranger :D

12. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Lie is a kickass song. I always crank that one up in my car..
    Mirror is great also, leads nicly into it...

13. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

The first time I heard "The Mirror" on DT's Awake. I was cruising through the CD the first day I got it and was digging it, then the first riff came on and I was floored. I got my first seven string not long after.

14. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

I saw one in the shop picked it up and was instantly hooked. It was like I had been playing a 7 my whole life. No artist really influanced me into getting one

15. The Hiryuu

The Hiryuu Dot dot dot.

Originally it was a desire to get more range (I wanted to have a high A instead of a low B), but after hearing Nevermore in 2001, I figured the low B would be plenty cool. I still didn't get a 7-string until last year, though...heh

16. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

dude, your title is so badass \m/

17. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I began tuning my 6-strings down to B back in the early to mid 90s. Bands like Carcass, Entombed, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel & Fear Factory exposed me to extreme tunings. Then I heard Korn in 94 & they were down in A!!! Well, I really began to miss my high E string, so I decided to check out 7-strings. The rest is history.

18. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I always loved the sound of the low B on a 5-string bass, and wanted the same extended low range out of a guitar without sacrificing the chord voicings and high end. I also have fairly wide hands and long, thin fingers, so i tended to like guitars with wider necks anyway. The 7 is a perfect fit for me, physically and sonically.

19. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Quite a few things actually. Mainly the DT Scene's From New York DVD, I just saw the extra string and wanted it. Also Vai didn't harm. I don't really try and emulate anyone with my 7 string playing though, I tend to try and come up with my own stuff for it. Also the bassist in my band uses a 5 string bass and writes riffs that he wants all of us to play, and it just sounds great the same riff being played in 3 different octaves (5 string bass, 7 string guitar, then an octave up on a 6 string guitar).

I've also been getting into Meshuggah for the past 18 months, love it to bits, so they are helping a little.

20. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Absolutly!.. Killer album no doubt..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.