What inspired you to play 7 strings?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by neantir, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neantir

neantir Member

Hey people. My name's David, from Sydney Australia, and a 7 string addict. Cool to see a dedicated website for these awesome instruments.

Thread title says it all. Personally, Morbid Angel inspired me to check out 7 strings with tracks like God of Emptiness and Where the Slime Live. These songs are some of the heaviest ever recorded and when I heard them I thought to myself this is something i need to investigate!

The first 7 string I played was a crappy Ibanez AX that was cool but didnt impress me that much: the neck was far from comfortable and the sound wasnt great either. I was still interested though. Soon after, I picked up an ESP LTD 7, and immediately I knew that I had to have one. Since then I've been utterly hooked. Most 6 strings feel like toys to me. No going back!

2. Chris D

Chris D Fiddich or Morangie???

I knew I'd eventually have to go for a 7-stringer, I'd always tuned down low. The band I was in usually tuned 6-strings to B ( I was in a DeathMetal band in the late 80s-early 90s, we toured loads supporting BoltThrower & gigged with bands like Carcass, Napalm Death etc, ( good times! ) & we all tuned well low ) but what I din't like was the loss of high notes for soloing.
    After that I played a 5-string bass for a good while which really got me into the low B thing & opened my head/hands up loads... My time on 5string bass really helped a lot & I found a 7-string guitar really easy to adjust to.

BTW I recently jammed with a couple of mates, playing my 6-string, & yeah, it just felt like a toy! I really missed the extra range & kept going to run down off the bottom of the neck!

3. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

Dream Theater's Awake album. :D

4. Josh

Josh Guest

+1 :agreed:

5. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

I had a buddy growing up who had one, let me fiddle with it here and there, and as soon as I could afford one of my own, I bought one. :)

Oh, and +2 for DT's awake. :D

6. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

planet x - universe and of course Awake from DT

7. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

long story not-so-long...

got into satriani in summer 1999, got hooked on the satriani.com chatroom, met peeps in there, migrated to the vai.com board, met MORE peeps, migrated to Jemsite searching for a ride to Jemfest 2k1, met MORE peeps.

essentially, i just kinda fell in with the right crowd :D

8. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Carcass, Nevermore, Rusty Cooley & Francesco fareri
    lol

Just seeing the available options that the extra string had was enough.

9. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Nevermore's songs- River dragon and Sound of silence

10. Vince

Vince Contributor

Dream Theater - Lie.

enuff said :)

11. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

:agreed:

also, A Change of Seasons.

12. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Oh hell yes.

13. sararose

sararose w3rd.

in short... my uncle who plays in a band in Puerto Rico.
    ...and this site ;)

...and doing nothing but sitting on my ass this summer :(

14. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

The way I see it is like this, though it's not so much what inspired me, moreas to why I stayed with the sevens.

I'm a musician, and I consider myself an artist. I have a great speech that I give from time to time after a few too many beers, and it's basic concept is that a "guitarist" is anyone who walks into Guitar Center, whips out the Visa card and buys that Strat on the wall. You own a guitar, you play it, you're a guitarist.

The point you reach when what you play is exactly what's in your head, and you don't have to think about it - it just comes out naturally: That's when you become a musician. To me at least, the seven is just an additional way that I can express myself. Yeah, I could play a 9 string, or a 25 string for the sake of argument, but the sevenstring is an instrument that I can comfortably play naturally, much to the chagrin of a lot of hardcore "six strings only" minded folks.

I'm an artist. My canvas isn't paper, it's sound. I don't use brushes, I use strings and a pick. But music is art nonetheless, and anything that is a tool that can expand the way you express yourself without compromise is worth it in my book. Imagine with Leonardo DaVinci could have done with Photoshop.

My .2c.

15. Vince

Vince Contributor

I hear what you're saying Chris. I like to take the self-appreciation a step further :)

I think that anyone who picks up a guitar is a guitar player. Someone who uses the guitar to express an original art is a guitarist (i.e. artist). Someone who is accomplished on one or more instruments and can use various instruments to get the sounds they want is a true musician. So in many ways I agree with you. :)

16. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Been learnin River Dragon. The solo is all sorts of Crazy semi-atonal dimished stuff, its awesome.

17. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Initially, Vai's "Passion & Warfare" album. Shortly after that, I bought one of the early Universes (the black and green one) in 1991. But I didn't get into having the extra string at that time and sold it shortly thereafter.

After getting away from metal altogether in the mid-90s, I got back into metal in a big way a couple of years ago after discovering the European underground metal scene. As I started regularly tuning my six-strings down to D and C#, I figured it might be time to try a seven-string again. Got my Schecter V-7 for dirt cheap and instantly took to it--then I got a Schecter A-7 Elite to get a neckthru guitar and get away from basswood bodies, which I don't think work well on seven-stringers.

As I prefer Jackson necks to anything else, I'm looking to get a DR-7 at the moment, with the ultimate goal of getting a custom-shop seven-string Soloist when I scrounge up the $$$.

18. The Sleeper

The Sleeper SS.org Regular

I had a similar experience to jacksonplayer in that I tried the first UV7's when they came out just after Passion & Warefare, I simply didn't like them at the time. When I started getting into Dream Theater (Awake & Change of Seasons) & the like, I figured I should give the 7 string guitar second try, especially since Ibanez had redesigned the UV (ie. the current UV777BK). I tried it, absolutely loved it, bought it & will never part with it.

So yeah, I guess my inspiration to get a 7 string was John Petrucci on Awake & Change of Seasons.

Catch ya's later.......Joe :)

19. Societysucks

Societysucks New Member

to play korn, then later dream theater, then later my own stuff, and now just play.

20. EnigmaUV7

EnigmaUV7 Member

You got it. :D

I listened to that album so many damn times after I got it, I knew I would end up with a 7. I got my UV in '95, and still love it, still have lots to learn on it. Whenever I have a really agressive song in my head, I almost always write it and record it with the UV. The initial physical challenge of playing it as well as my 6s made me a much better player too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.