What Guitar Do You Play The Most?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by jwguitar, Feb 18, 2020.

1. jwguitar

jwguitar SS.org Regular

What guitar do you play the most often? I use my Washburn Idol Standard 26 most of the time. Post pictures and videos of your guitar that you use the most.

gunch, BlackSG91, secretpizza and 2 others like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Out of all my plethora of guitars, lately my go-to is my G&L S-500. The guitar cost me about $400 new and yet it is perfect for just about every style except the heavy/tight/modern stuff, and for that I grab either a Mayones or a Wolfgang.

But with kids and work, I find the easiest one to plug and play is the G&L through my Kemper and Randall Diavlo v30 2x12.

There are several reasons:

Playability - the guitar is set up and plays like butter. Action isn't too low like on some of my shredders, but it is set up perfectly to play strat shreddy stuff like Nick Johnston or Mateus Asato. I think I have 9-46 NYXL FWIW and I set up the trem slightly floating just so I can do flutter vibrato when needed.

Pickups - The MFD pickups are awesome. One of the best strat sets I've heard. And these are the same ones you get in the MII or MIA model. Everything from rounded to tight low end, sizzle or back off for bell-like chime. Capable of 50's, 60's, or 70's Strat tones. Why? See below...

Electronics - Hands down the best electronics I have on any guitar. The controls are genius and should be standard on every guitar:
    • Volume - Master volume for all three pickups. At about a 8-9 it sounds like your standard dimed volume knob. When you go 9-10 it sounds like an on-board boost. It will push any amp into breakup and overdrive an amp already at breakup.
    • Treble - Rolls off the highs like a high-cut.
    • Bass - Contour knob, it cuts the low end girth. This is what allows you to have thick fusion leads and nice rounded lows when higher. Roll off the lows and you get surgically tight tones. It will also give you killer blues leads like SRV, BB, or Albert King. Assists any overdrive/distortion with sounding vintage to modern sounding. Basically, it acts as a built in treble/mid booster. You get some killer modern tones out of it when rolled off through modern high gain amps.
    • Pickup Selector - the usual 5-way switch, with the necessary (IMO) 2 and 4 single coil settings.
    • Push/pull - You can select normal or when pulled, you get SSS or N+B single coils. The SSS sounds like a Tele and the SS sounds nice and thick, but with some bite, like a ES335 humbucker.
    Trem - The modern Leo designed "Strat" trem works perfect. With stock tuners I don't have any tuning issues, and it has a ton of sustain.

tl;dr did I mention it was $400 new?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. Kaura

Kaura with a car you can go anywhere

I hate to say it but I've really fallen back in love with my RG1527. After getting a new set of headphones, it sounds massive yet tight through them.

c7spheres likes this.
  4. jwguitar

jwguitar SS.org Regular

That mahogany strat is a beautiful guitar. Both of those guitars are a steal for $400!

USMarine75 likes this.
  5. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

My most used guitar is probably my 97 Gibson LP studio double cut. I can't really put my finger on why, but for some reason it's just exactly right in many ways. Love the neck, pickups sound good. It is my main live guitar and it has taken a lot of abuse by now, it's still holding up well without any issues. I've bought guitars after this and I always come back to this one. I have changed the tuners to grovers and the pickup rings, knobs and pickup selector switch are all chrome lol. Just thought it fit the look better. Only thing I wish it had different is the bridge. Would like a TOM.

Here's one in significantly better shape than mine lol
    [​IMG]

At home I also use my G&l legacy strat and Squier Vintage vibe tele a whole lot.

6. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I'd say my RG7620. But lately I've been playing my FR1620 the most, but that's because I've had it for idk, 3 weeks..

7. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

right now its been my jackson js327 w bkp war pigs

mlp187 likes this.
  8. natedog_approved

natedog_approved Meatsack

Schecter Omen 6. The only guitar I've ever owned hahaha.

Actually a solid guitar for at the price point and definitely held up for the 13ish years I've had it.

Discoqueen, mlp187 and josh1 like this.
  9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Play the most as in time played is my Edwards SG, which I use in my band.

Play the most as in number of times I pick it up is my Gibson Explorer. When I'm at home I frequently pick up this guitar and play it for like maybe 2 minutes and put it back.

And the reason is simply because I have the Eddy set up for C standard and the Gibby is in Eb. I want to and probably should get the Gibby in C standard so that I have a backup ready, or maybe even make it my main guitar for the band, but right now it just has a really good set up in Eb and I feel like I would never get it playing as good as it is now if I give it my own set up. The real solution here is to take it to my guy who sets'em up real good... but that involves like, driving, parallel parking, paying a parking meter, driving home, driving back, parallel parking, paying a parking meter, and even driving back home again. I mean who's got time for that.

Choop likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Overall: Carvin CS6 (les paul style)
    Lately: Kiesel Aries, because it's in Dropped C, and I've been playing that a lot lately for no reason.
    Most frequently lately: my nolon string Alvarez. Every so often, I get on a month-long kick where the first guitar I pick up is this one, and I'll play it for about 1/2 the time of the 'session'.

11. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Recently it's been my new-to-me Eastman T184MX. It has a great acoustic voice that's perfect for playing unplugged and not bothering anyone. My Eastman DM1 is a cannon, so trying to play that during early morning sessions before my wife wakes up is a no-go. My go-to solidbody guitar is my 60s LP, which gets 80% of my plugged in playtime.

12. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

This guy right here
    [​IMG]

It's an RG920, and this thing takes a setup like nobody's business, my tech actually tried to buy it off of me when I had him give it the post-purchase rundown.
    Combined with the endless amount of mojo trapped in that finish, this guy is easily my most addicting guitar.

13. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

My beat up PRS Custom 22, on the left in the pic.

Was well loved by it's prev owner, covered in polishing swirls and a few dings, but it just has that mojo. Doesn't sound as modern as my 24 or Torero, and doesn't play as fast with the Wide Fat neck, yet it is quite the riff machine. I'd take it anywhere! Currently in CGCFGC just cause I can.

14. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

FB_IMG_1582132394052.jpg

I'm beating on the Soloist most of the time. She's my #1 gig workhorse and writing guitar. Has some scratches, dents, and battle scars now.

But Im playing the SG HP more these days. She's my only Gibson and non-superstrat guitar, and the SG is a tone machine even though it won't stay in tune 3 days straight. And MOP inlays on a regular SG is beautiful.

15. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Lately my LP Jr, but my M-102 has been getting some love lately too.

[​IMG]

upload_2020-2-19_10-30-10.png

mlp187 and BlackSG91 like this.
  16. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

17. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot ยป Supra-ise!

This sparkling sonsabitch:

[​IMG]

I love all my ESPs but this one has a certain something. Just stupidly easy to play and the 46mm nut on a seven string has been a life changing experience. The half-scallops on 9-22 are genius with the medium jumbo frets and extra thin U carve; it's a weirdly spec'd neck and I'm in love.

Only drawback is now that I'm completely enamored with 46mm nuts on sevens I can't seem to find a Floyd (or variant) that supports that.

lawizeg, Ulvhedin, mikernaut and 14 others like this.
  18. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

My most used guitar over the years is probably my first guitar that I keep in Standard E and Drop D-- Godin Freeway Classic.

Generally speaking, almost all of my guitars are in different tunings so I grab the guitar in the tuning I want to play in.

The guitar getting the most use as of late is my newest addition, a FSR Fender American Pro HSS Strat with roasted maple neck (shown in profile).

TLDR

Most used guitar to date = Godin Freeway Classic
    Most used guitar as of late = Fender AmPro HSS Strat with roasted maple neck.

sirbuh likes this.
  19. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

My Ibanez SIX20DBG. I just love this guitar.

[​IMG]

20. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

Most recently my Mayones Setius, but before that the guitar I picked up the most is my Yamaha AC5R acoustic. Beautiful Guitar, have it away with my tech right now for a new setup

[​IMG]

lawizeg, BlackSG91 and AkiraSpectrum like this.