What gear should I get to play nu-metal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Eugene_3105, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Eugene_3105

Eugene_3105 SS.org Regular

Hi. Could anyone give me some advice concerning what gear I should get to start playing nu-metal? (Just for the record: Until now, I`ve only been playing a classic guitar.)
    I would love to gather a set of quality equipment for a reasonable price to play nu-metal riffs. I mean, music like Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Deftones. Maybe even Korn or Slipknot.
    So, I think, I've already decided what guitar I`m going to get - Ibanez GRG 121DX (Would love to hear some comments on it as well). However, I've been wondering what kind of amp and pedal to get without busting the bank.
    1)On the one hand, I could get VOX VX15 GT with a guitar processor already installed in it and do without any pedals.
    These are the affects of the amp: 8 MODULATION (CHORUS, FRANGER, ORG PHASE, TWIN TREM), DELAY / REVERB (A.DELAY, TAPE ECHO, SPRING, HALL).
    The amp models are: DELUXE CL, BOUTIQUE CL, BOUTIQUE OD, VOX AC30, VOX AC30TB, BRIT 1959, BRIT 800, BRIT VM, SL-0D, DOUBLE REC.
    It actually seems like a good choice, but I feel like I am not going to get enough of that heaviness and distortion that I need to play Deftones for instance. Also, I`m not sure if the affects are right. I don`t know maybe this amp is actually a good choice...
    By the way, I'm going to practice at home, so I don't need a huge amplifier.
    2)I've also been thinking of getting a basic amp like Marshall MG15G and getting a couple of pedals (for distortion and the necessary affects). This variant sounds much more realistic and reliable to me, but the pedals and the amp are probably going to cost much more. I think, I'm not gonna be able to afford it.
    Could anyone tell me which variant to choose? I would also love to hear some other suggestions concerning the gear that I should get. I'd be really gratefull for a piece of advice.
    By the way, English isn't my first language, so please excuse my errors.

2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

wakjob likes this.
  3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Recto's all over the place in the Nu-Metal genera...
    I'd find a cheaper knock-off wannabe Recto out there in the used market.
    But like you said, an older modeler would suffice...

Line 6 Flextone II HD's are great amps. As were the first series.
    Really, any of your own ideas that you listed will work though.

The guitar you want is fine...
    You'll be all over the place with string gauge and tunings with all the bands you like.

Eugene_3105, XPT707FX and SpaceDock like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

a dual rectifier, or an AMT r2 pedal into a clean amp.
    prob some emg81 loaded singlecut

5. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Ibanez sevenstring, used Mesa rectifier, boss pedals. This is what was used and available in that era. Not much to it.

Rossness, BenjaminW, Emperoff and 5 others like this.
  6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yep, pretty much a Mesa Dual Rectifier, an Ibanez RG or PRS Custom 24, along with Boss pedals was pretty much the standard rig at the time.

For a smaller budget version for today's world, I would probably buy any cheap little clean amp, and then get a modeler pedal with a Rectifer model. Something like a Line 6 POD GO, or a Mooer or something.

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I would suggest a good modeler mfx to give you a taste of a wide variety of amps and cabs. A good FRFR would give you a complete and awesome rig.

If on a budget, try out the Boss GT-1 or the GT-100. They may be more affordably had through the used market. If you can spend more, take a look at the Headrush Gigboard (I have currently) or the Line 6 HX Stomp. If you can spend more, there are higher end models of both mentioned brands and more others.

For an FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) cab, the Headrush FRFR 108 or 112 modela should suffice. An FRFR is like a blank canvas to paint your tone on from your modeler. It will give you the sound your modeler intends.

Guitar-wise... whichever fancies you! Pickups are a personal preference. For strings, you may need multiple guitaif you're planning on using multiple tunings. I have a standard guitar and a baritone for various purposes. For some reasons, I just can't gel with 7-strings.

Good luck! Happy hunting!

Eugene_3105 likes this.
  8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

And the good news is, nowadays this can be done on a budget.

9. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

No personal experience, but whenever I think "nu-metal" I immediately think PRS Custom 24 + Mesa Dual Rec. Plus some digital delay for the ambient bits.

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Since you're just starting out with electric guitar and say you don't want a huge amp, I'd go for a Peavey Vypyr or Boss Katana. One of the models with a 12 inch speaker at least, smaller speakers don't do it for me.

Either of those will do solid metal tones of any kind and they're versatile enough to cover about any tone you might want to try out early on.

Beheroth and Masoo2 like this.
  11. budda

I think RG's ans AX's. Korn then limp bizkit then linkin park then mudvayne :lol:.

I never saw a live show, only learned what amps they used later on.

Merrekof likes this.
  12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That was the harder, more metal stuff. The other side, the radio friendly stuff, was more PRS.

Limp Bizkit switched from Ibanez to PRS, Linkin Park was always PRS, and Mudvayne was Gibson.

Mathemagician and budda like this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I mean 2 of those dudes used PRS so he's not wrong. :p Brad from LP was a PRS guy at heart (only used Ibbys for 3 songs in total; an Ibanez RG421XL for Don't Stay and an Ibanez RG7621 and some other 6-string Prestige for With You and Runaway) and Wes switched to PRS later on and I think used them up until his Yamaha endorsement.

But yeah, most everyone used Ibanez and PRS. As well as the occasional Gibson, which Greg used for most of the more memorable Mudvayne stuff, as well as Wayne Static and Godsmack.

EDIT: Ampwise; Rev F or G dual-channel Dual or Triple Recto. Marshall JCM900 or DSL.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Eugene_3105 and budda like this.
  14. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any old guitar with decently powerful humbuckers. That Gio you have picked out is fine but a new or used AX120 or Iceman would be more Iconic
    [​IMG]
    The most common tunings are Drop C#, Drop B and Drop A

Ben.Last, Gmork and Eugene_3105 like this.
  15. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Nu metal is synonymous with recto

Then get a Schecter with blackouts or emgs

Done.

budda likes this.
  16. budda

Apparently I wasn't paying attention during PRS days aside from TV-friendly ones :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  17. HeHasTheJazzHands

I thought we were talking Nu metal, not deathcore/christiancore? :lol:

viifox likes this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

Oh I just noticed this.
    TBH I actually think the H&K Triamp and Duotone was pretty big with nu metal/alt metal/post grunge bands at the time. And did the nu metal Recto thing better than that thing.

19. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Haha! I good a good laugh out of that one! :lol:

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I just immediately thought “PRS + Mesa”. Basically Mark tremonti’s rig until PRS made him an amp.

Drop-C, Drop-B, Drop-A were most common all on six strings. Get some fat boi strings and tune low.