What game are you playing?

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really wanted to play the borderlands VR. But never got around to buying one of the birth control helmets I’d need to use it.

It’s still on my to-do list but first I need to decide what I’m replacing my old 42” tv with as it finally died on me.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Maybe but man was Skyrim VR an experience.
You know..... I've always been pretty critical of Skyrim, for a lot of reasons, but I think the VR version might be the thing that redeems it for me, if I ever get around to trying that.

If Starfield comes out in VR, I'd be all over that. Doesn't seem likely though.

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been on a huge Atlus kick basically since SMT V came out. Played SMT V, P5R, P4G, SMT IV, and 13 Sentinels since then. I'm looking forward to Soul Hackers 2, but I don't know that I'll get it at launch with how Atlus pricing seems to go. Plus it's not like I don't have any other games to play until it goes on sale. I think when I need a break from XC3 I'm going to play through Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

HarveyForte

Dadbod Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tokyo Mirage Sessions was actually refreshing even though it’s way more…anime.

And I agree on the Altus pricing. The amount of DLC on launches is insane.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
3D TVs going away is actually annoying, I had a number of 3D blu-rays that were pretty cool, especially the old vintage movies like House of Wax that had the real deal 3D instead of those crappy digital conversions in the 2010s. But, I can't watch them in 3D anymore after my 2012 plasma died! It's too bad, since 3D discs keep coming out (ex, Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, Parasite, Robot Monster), but you just can't see them in 3D anymore unless you buy a projector that supports it.

VR is a whole different beast from 3DS, that actually radically changes the experience.

The 3DS version of 3D actively makes games worse, IMO. It just makes it so parts of the image are blurry instead of the whole thing being clear, basically, and there's no depth I've ever seen in a game that wasn't just as obvious in 2D as in 3D. Note that I've only played the 3DS Zelda games and Star Fox.
Charles Band's Parasite from the Empire Picture days?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Anyone here play the shin megami series? SMTV, Strange Journey, Nocturne, Persona, etc
I've played a few Persona games. Fun, sure, but I find they drag on a little too long and are narratively kinda juvenile (bordering on 3 edgy 5 me at times). I've got a copy of Devil Summoner I might try out at some point - I'm at least mildly curious how different other SMT titles are from Persona.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone here play the shin megami series? SMTV, Strange Journey, Nocturne, Persona, etc
Persona 5 is one of my top 3 games, I'm paying through SMT3 Nocturne HD now, I have Persona 1 and both P2s on my PSTV/Vita, I have P4G on Vita but probably just going to wait for the PS4 port (same with P3P), and I'm grabbing Soul Hackers 2 when it comes out next week. Even contemplating grabbing SMTV on Switch.

Anyway, all that aside, Rollerdrome is kind of addicting. Tony Hawk but instead of skateboards, it's roller skates and guns.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I know it's divisive, or maybe debatable is the word I'm looking for, but I've always been a fan of 3d. I had a 3d vision monitor, I thought the original 3ds was pretty cool. I'm one of the few people who I think would rather leave the 3d all the way up most of the time. Now that I can see the difference, I think it's safe to say the "new" models did improve the 3d a fair bit.
I used to always play with 3D on a little bit because it gave it that depth which was nice. It's the early 2010s 3D where the screen is a box behind, rather than earlier pop out of the screen 3D. Imo it just makes it look nicer most of the time.

However, since brain things have happened to me I absolutely cannot use the 3D anymore. I know the original 3DS had trouble for people with glasses, and just didn't work for others, but everyone I knew who who had problems before found the N3DS to just work. Unless they were one of the people to whom it gave headaches.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I played a few hours of Metro Exodus. It looks very nice, voice acting is terrible, story and characters were uninteresting, bored me terribly, uninstalled it.

Back to Miles Morales collect-a-thon activities and side missions, I guess. Mindless fun.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
I got into No Man's Sky a couple weeks ago and I'm hooked. I wished I started it sooner even though it sounds like it's come a long way in recent times.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
I've been reeled back into Melty Blood Lumina with the funy cat. After playing a bunch of Arcsys fighters for a while it feels so fast in comparison (in a good way)

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
Went back to New World after hearing that they've updated it in the last couple months. Maybe it'll stick this time.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I was finally able to order an Xbox Series X, so now I'm waiting for Elden Ring and Cyberpunk 2077 to come on sale :lol: And maybe finally I'll be able to beat Midir in DS3 when I get a console that doesn't lag and controllers that don't disconnect randomly. Also I'm sure I'll enjoy Mass Effect Legendary Edition way more with better graphics.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was finally able to order an Xbox Series X, so now I'm waiting for Elden Ring and Cyberpunk 2077 to come on sale :lol: And maybe finally I'll be able to beat Midir in DS3 when I get a console that doesn't lag and controllers that don't disconnect randomly. Also I'm sure I'll enjoy Mass Effect Legendary Edition way more with better graphics.
Does ME Legendary Edition actually have current gen graphic updates relative to the xbox one? Thought it looked the same on whatever system you were playing on, just would have faster load times.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My tv died. And I don’t “want” to spend money on one. So I’ve been practicing playing guitar and singing more. Go figure. It works exactly as anyone would have expected. What is this Soviet Russia?

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been reeled back into Melty Blood Lumina with the funy cat. After playing a bunch of Arcsys fighters for a while it feels so fast in comparison (in a good way)

This is funny to me because any time I would load up my old copy of BlazBlu that felt SO fast compared to SF which is my normal go-to.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Went back to New World after hearing that they've updated it in the last couple months. Maybe it'll stick this time.
I think this is the first time I've heard anything about New World outside of seeing the banner ads before it was released. Is it anything special as far as MMO's go? Or another EQ/WoW clone?

I saw the other day that Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam for its 10th Anniversary (!) and was wondering if I wanted to try it again. I played it for a couple months when it came out (and probably posted about it in this thread [!!]) but bounced off since I was also really busy in school. The gameplay seemed fine but also seemed overly simplified compared to old WoW, which ironically new WoW is WAY more simplified than that and I didn't like their latest flavour of MMO at all when I tried it a couple years back. Also GW2 has the added benefit of being free with microtransactions, which is just 1 rung above monthly subs on the ladder of shit sandwiches. Will likely give it a go.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I played Guild Wars 2 for a bit when it came out. I don't remember much about it apart from the interesting "painted" art style, or why I bounced off it so hard. I think that I didn't like the emphasis on random world events, like you were always supposed to drop what you were doing and run over to try and complete some world objective or something. I think that Star Wars TOR and FF14 might have also done that and maybe my memory of the various games is getting conflated since I bounced off all of them. I think I hated the leveling system in GW2, also, like I think you sorta built your own character instead of choosing a class and auto-learning skills. I think everything felt kind of samey because of it, like everyone had a collection of attacks and heals and there weren't really roles. Don't remember any instances, either. I think it just seemed especially unappealing to me as someone who mainly liked raiding in WoW but leveling solo and avoiding PVP.

It was a long time ago, though. All I know for sure is that I definitely liked FF14, WoW and Star Wars TOR a lot more than it.

EDIT: I think I'm going to buy a good flash-memory memory card for N64 and play through some of the old games before selling them all off and getting one of those emulation cartridges for the system. Seems like the biggest memory card you can get of decent quality is still the puny little 256 page variety where some games take THE ENTIRE THING and there's no way to back up the save other than buying more hardware. Annoying. I think I'll just have to play through games and finish them one at a time so I don't have to worry about it. Or else skip straight to the emulation cartridge stage.

Castlevania 64 is first on my list, though I have to get the cartridge back from my brother who doesn't know where it is. But, I'm very curious to replay it. We'll see if I can readjust to the controller.

Last edited: