What game are you playing?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Welp, PS5 is out for repair (basically, since I got the thing, it would crash when playing PS4 games. Yes, not PS5 games, but PS4 games). I thought maybe a system update would solve that, but nope. Tried every troubleshooting suggestion Sony fave, but nope. So it's probably a fried motherboard.

So, been playing the Xbox. Mainly Citizen Sleeper, which in still deciding if it's my kind of game or not. Also, TMNT Shredders Revenge is awesome.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mine's definitely been having issues for a few months now, too. It will unpredictably crash horribly if I suspend any game. If I always close out games before putting the system in rest mode, it never crashes. It's happened with multiple games so it doesn't seem specific. Not really sure what to do about it since it's probably a software problem.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge. Great nostalgic feeling side scroller beat ‘Em up. Played online with my brother and nephew and it was everything you’d want.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Finished Tunic today;

It's late and I'm tired, so I'll try to be brief, but also maybe some actual spoilers.

This game has some great ideas that mostly center on the in-game manual, and how information is mostly hidden from you. There's a sort of "key item" that you chase for a good amount of time that turns out not to be an item at all, and I won't spoil that, but it leads to a really good "ooooooooooooooooooooooh THAT'S what's going on" moment.

By the time I got to the end of the game, I had some inventory items that did.... I have no idea what. I think I like that in this game though. The flip side is that you have that Outer Wilds style issue that once you know you know, and there's not much replay value.

The biggest downside to this one is the difficulty spikes when you reach bosses. Every time I encountered a boss, I had to take a break and come back to avoid wanting to just give up over repeated failures.

There's also some end-game fetch-questing type stuff you need to do to get the "good ending", and it's easy to accidentally miss important stuff, but I don't think it's enough to bring the experience down.

I'd put this in the "if you're on the fence, just try it" category.

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
Almost snagged a PS5 this morning. Just so happened to check Target and the store a city over had 5 in stock, but by the time I had finished the checkout process they'd sold out. About threw my laptop through the wall.

I'm about to pop in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for the first time. Heard alot of good things, so I'm ready to finally check it out.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Almost snagged a PS5 this morning. Just so happened to check Target and the store a city over had 5 in stock, but by the time I had finished the checkout process they'd sold out. About threw my laptop through the wall.

I'm about to pop in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for the first time. Heard alot of good things, so I'm ready to finally check it out.
What did you think? I played it for a couple hours and just didn't get into it. I think the camera being zoomed so much further in on the character combined with the wallowy movement and slow combat just made it feel too clunky for me.

In other Castlevania news, I just watched a long video about how good and ahead of its time Castlevania 64 was. One of their main theses was that it played more like a modern 3d actioner than people were able to handle at the time, so stuff like the deliberate platforming and just negotiating the combat with the camera was not something people were used to. They drew some interesting parallels between CV and Dark Souls that I never really noticed (how pre-SOTN Castlevania/CV64 is all about being deliberate and having to commit to attacks and being held back by attack animation speed and slow jumping abilities etc). I'm kind of curious to play through it again. I think I sold my cartridge way back in the 90s, but I still have Legacy of Darkness. Might have to check it out. I'd much rather Konami release something like they did with the other side-scrolling ones so I could replay it with a modern controller, but I don't really see that happening anytime soon.