What game are you playing?

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Played Tomb Raider (2013) over the last couple of days being sick. It's ok, not really my kinda game with all the interactive cutscene set pieces and fairly uninteresting exploration, which is weird for a game about an explorer.

Solid 6/10, basically mechanically sound and I wanted to finish it with all the collectables. Got it on Games With Gold years ago and I won't pay for the sequels.

Edit: also bad writing and I hated all the characters

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Played Tomb Raider (2013) over the last couple of days being sick. It's ok, not really my kinda game with all the interactive cutscene set pieces and fairly uninteresting exploration, which is weird for a game about an explorer.

Solid 6/10, basically mechanically sound and I wanted to finish it with all the collectables. Got it on Games With Gold years ago and I won't pay for the sequels.

Edit: also bad writing and I hated all the characters
The cutscenes and characters aren't good, but I like the gameplay a lot. I prefer it to the Uncharted games. Those obviously have the VASTLY superior writing/characters, but I really like the gameplay mechanics on Tomb Raider/Rise of the Tomb Raider. The weapons are a lot more fun and varied than in Uncharted.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
The cutscenes and characters aren't good, but I like the gameplay a lot. I prefer it to the Uncharted games. Those obviously have the VASTLY superior writing/characters, but I really like the gameplay mechanics on Tomb Raider/Rise of the Tomb Raider. The weapons are a lot more fun and varied than in Uncharted.
I haven't played Uncharted, but I guess I'll avoid them then. I liked some of the combat sections, but they had a bunch of mechanics that didn't seem to really get used or be useful. And the later game big fights all become too linear or too many enemies so you couldn't do any of the fun stuff.

I'll probably play the next one if it's on Game Pass.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't played Uncharted, but I guess I'll avoid them then. I liked some of the combat sections, but they had a bunch of mechanics that didn't seem to really get used or be useful. And the later game big fights all become too linear or too many enemies so you couldn't do any of the fun stuff.

I'll probably play the next one if it's on Game Pass.
Uncharted is even more "platforming section, fight a bunch of guys in a room or hallway, platforming section, fight a bunch of guys in a hallway, here's a puzzle in a tomb" than Tomb Raider, which at least occasionally makes you feel like you're on one big open area (even if it's fairly linear). Uncharted 2/3/4 are mainly considered classics for the incredibly high production values and incredibly good writing/voice-acting (by videogame standards). The gunplay in the later ones is also extremely good if you play on high difficulties, supposedly, but I haven't.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Uncharted is even more "platforming section, fight a bunch of guys in a room or hallway, platforming section, fight a bunch of guys in a hallway, here's a puzzle in a tomb" than Tomb Raider, which at least occasionally makes you feel like you're on one big open area (even if it's fairly linear). Uncharted 2/3/4 are mainly considered classics for the incredibly high production values and incredibly good writing/voice-acting (by videogame standards). The gunplay in the later ones is also extremely good if you play on high difficulties, supposedly, but I haven't.
How are the puzzles? The puzzles in Tomb Raider were ok but either too obvious or too obtuse, lots of find the one thing I have to interact with and very few a-ha moments.

The other thing I hated about the combat was that the enemies seemed to get harder at the same rate as you, so it never felt like you were making progress. At least for the islanders it didn't feel like it made a lot of sense that they became so much more heavily armed as the game went on despite Lara visiting places earlier that should be the full kit. Probably around the Shantytown was the best balance for fun combat in my opinion. Never get to feel like a tank rolling over dudes at the end, or get to really feel like an underdog disrupting their plan.

Maybe I'll give an Uncharted a go if a dust off the PS4 and a friend lends me one.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are the puzzles? The puzzles in Tomb Raider were ok but either too obvious or too obtuse, lots of find the one thing I have to interact with and very few a-ha moments.

The other thing I hated about the combat was that the enemies seemed to get harder at the same rate as you, so it never felt like you were making progress. At least for the islanders it didn't feel like it made a lot of sense that they became so much more heavily armed as the game went on despite Lara visiting places earlier that should be the full kit. Probably around the Shantytown was the best balance for fun combat in my opinion. Never get to feel like a tank rolling over dudes at the end, or get to really feel like an underdog disrupting their plan.

Maybe I'll give an Uncharted a go if a dust off the PS4 and a friend lends me one.
Uncharted has fewer puzzles than tomb raider, they were ok I guess. If you like the puzzle aspect the third tomb raider game (shadow of) has BY FAR the most emphasis.

The problem with uncharted is the first game legit sucks, but I don’t know how the second plays without knowing the characters. The games are at least quite short (10-12 hours) so you can blow through them quick, but yeah, the first game is VERY dated while the sequels all hold up.

Last edited:

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Champion Gundyr has been defeated. Had a couple of days off and got back to the game just now and CG dropped like a sack of potatoes on the first try. The black knights before the dark firelink place gave me more grief than him.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Diablo 2 Resurrected. As usual, late to the party lol. Overall so far i don't think its bad, worth the 25 bucks i paid for it. Im still early in to it, im on the last part of act I, going after the smithy. I think i made it to jail level 2 before i had to crash out lol. Rocking the Necromancer class to start with. Playing this game reminds me why i had so much fun with Diablo 3. The graphics, gameplay and NO WEAPONS AND ARMOR DURABILITY made it fun as hell. I really wish for this version they would've copped the gameplay and style of D3, but like i said, for 25 bucks not too shabby. Elden Ring will probably be my next buy.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Ancient Wyvern was a fun one. Never would have done the plunging attack if there wasn't any messages on the ground... Could have been a hairy battle without it.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ancient Wyvern was a fun one. Never would have done the plunging attack if there wasn't any messages on the ground... Could have been a hairy battle without it.
One of the messages is there even if you aren’t playing online, they really wanted to make sure everyone got it.

I’ve missed that a couple times when the dragon reared back right as I jumped. Infuriating when it happens.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
One of the messages is there even if you aren’t playing online, they really wanted to make sure everyone got it.

I’ve missed that a couple times when the dragon reared back right as I jumped. Infuriating when it happens.
Yeah, indeed there is a offline message... And that's the only one I got, since I am playing offline. :)

I had to search for the place to jump for a while, but found it eventually and succeeded on the first try, fortunately.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Kirby 64 got added to NSO so I just finished that. Definitely a nice action game to cleanse the pallet after Cutscene Simulator 2013. Cutter/Spark is still the best in games ever, but also double Bomb and Rock/Spark are excellent fun. Chilled out game, Kirby's walk speed says it all. You can run but you don't need to. Generally an easy game, but the last two bosses are a lot of fun and provide some challenge.

8/10 everything about the game is good and it delivers on its promises. Still humming all the songs and jingles. Probably my favourite of the 2000s Sakurai games. Good writing and I loved all the characters.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bought Flashback (old Sega / Megadrive game) on sale for the PS4 a few days ago and just finished it. I didn't even know there was a PS4 version.

I don't think I've finished it more than once when I was a kid. It's not a long game, but it can be difficult. Or some parts of it were, at least... It now features a "rewind" function which allows you to, well, rewind when you make a mistake. I used it a few times and could finish the thing in a few hours. It's still a nice game if you like the "cinematic platformer" genre.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got the Platinum trophy for The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe. If you look at the trophy list, you'll understand.

Anyway, 60 hours into my Cyberpunk 2077 1.5 game, and I don't think I'll be slowing down until I platinum that too. The 1.5 truly feels like a new, much much improved game.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
Just got MKX on sale to continue with my Mortal Kombat trend. :lol:

Haven’t played too much of it, but I will say MKX is better than 11. Fight me.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Playing Recore. It's fun but I'm not that far in. It's not very well made at all though, just lacks all the polish you expect from bigger games. A lot of weird character animations, cut scene angles, Joule's model just looks weird. Some classic Xbox One brand jank.

It's fun so far though. It's like Knack meets Horizon meets Metroid Prime. But everything they took from the first two is bad things that replaces good things in Prime.

Also has decent voice acting but I don't need to hear Joule comment on every chest she opens. Scenario is also very cool, but there's still plenty of time for the game to undo it with a dumb twist.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
D&D 5e Out of The Abyss - Session 5

We leveled up last game after the demogorgon reveal. I took my first level of arcane trickster, putting me at AT3/Wizard 1. After the party's life cleric treated our madness, we rested up and moved on. We ran into a couple of goblins, who ended up being our guides through a web maze area. Somewhat anti-climactically, we did not encounter any enemies or danger due to consistently good rolls on our part. The goblins joined us and we rescued a few folks from the webs, putting our group of (mostly noncombat) companions at 18.

One of the rescues was a halfling rogue, who told us about a tomb containing magical treasure in the area. Being adventurers, we took this opportunity to engage in some gleeful graverobbing. The life cleric's turn undead made quick work of the weaker ghosts in the area, and after a few of your standard tomb puzzles, we ended up fighting a big scary wraith.

We were getting our asses kicked in a major way. Our paladin and barbarian were about to go down, with the hexblade close behind. At this critical moment, a voice call out into all of our minds, "Here! In the sarcophagus! I can help you!" Being the only one still mobile, and with full hit points thanks to a well-timed shield spell (my last), I dashed over the sarcophagus and pulled out… a fucking lightsaber.

Okay well, it's called the Sun Blade, but it's basically a sunlightsaber that kills the shit out of undead. It deals radiant damage, and thanks to the 5E rules, that means that my sneak attack damage is also radiant, bypassing the wraith's asshole damage reduction. With that, I dealt the fearsome specter and massive blow, and sent it back to wherever dead things go when they die again.

We ended there. This is quite a powerful weapon for 4th level party, so I am both excited and apprehensive as to what our DM has in store for us next session. As much as I'd like to keep it, the sword is pretty obviously a Paladin weapon and I will likely be handing it over to our Paladin at the beginning of next session. I sure made fittingly epic use of it, though!